PDA

View Full Version : Using the plug-in Crack It

regular
08-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Have a few questions about using Crack It, a plug-in for exploding an object into pieces in Modeler (V. 9.6 LW) and then having it reassemble for further manipulation.

Does Crack It only work on objects modeled in Lightwave?
i.e. I want to model a building and have parts of the building explode.

It will be a satirical piece, so realism is not the goal.

Thank for any tips and guidance as I'm a Lightwave novice.

Greenlaw
08-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Crack is pretty old...does it still work?

I know Dodgy (http://www.mikegreen.name/)wrote a plug-in to replace it a while back called Breakup. And then, of course, there's Fracture which comes with LightWave.

Either of these will work with any mesh you can load into Modeler. You may need to subdivide and maybe even triple the mesh to get good results--boolean tools tend to work better if there are more polygons to work with.

How do you intend to 'explode' the object after fracturing? The common method nowadays is to use Bullet but you can also use the old HardFX or morphing methods.

You mentioned needing to reassemble the object. To do this, first run your exploding simulation, then bake the result using an MDD Baker or Denis Pontonnier's 'BDD baker' tool (not the exact name of the tool but I think it's part of his DP kit,) and then using the appropriate player to run the sim backwards.

Good luck.

G.

prometheus
08-15-2013, 03:26 PM
crackit works in lw.11.03 32 bit, havent tested on lw 11.5 and 11.6 though, it is slower...but it gives pieces that isnīt triangulated with connections, it only cracks the pieces with divisions where that is so to speak,
it looks cleaner and more natural, but then again that might not work as good when using dynamics and you donīt have all the other fracture options as the fracture tool has.

To answer the questions more directly, you could probably import any object like 3ds, or obj format, but it also depends on how that geometry looks, if theres intersecting geometry etc..might give errors.
and crackit should work fine with lw 9.6, you have to do all cracking in modeler though,the lw 11.03 and above fracture tool works with basic cracking directly in layout.

Michael