PDA

View Full Version : Add an extra Network card?

TeamScottSmith
08-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I have a TC40. It has one network port. I work on a college campus, where the IT department has a firewall between the wireless and the wired network, and they also act as separate networks. Additionally, they have it set up so that if you plug in a network hub or switch with more than four ports, the campus network port will shut down. If I put in a wireless hub, the campus port will shut down, since they almost always have at least 4 ports on them - plus the wireless, which makes 5.

I would like to be able to use Livetext through iVGA as a network source. I would also like to be able to use the iPad audio mixer app. And I need to be able to stream out while doing this.

So, basically I need a small private network for my peripherals, and another, separate, network out for my stream.

Has anyone successfully added a second network card to the TC-40? Or even one of those USB to network type adapters? I really think the only decent solution is to have two NICs on my Tricaster. Actually, I am surprised NewTek only put one, considering how it is used.

Any help appreciated.

pro---studio
08-15-2013, 12:05 PM
That is what routers are for. Get a cheap router that is able to work with DHCP at the WAN port (almost all do that) and then add any number of switches that you want to the LAN ports of the router.

Cheers

pro.

PIZAZZ
08-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Yes we have used the Apple USB to Ethernet adapters successfully. Took a little bit to track down the windows drivers but they are out there.

Yes I also would suggest using a router to do what you need. Most all modern routers allow you to spoof the MAC address of a PC. After you clone the MAC address, the network usually then knows no difference. The other thing you can do is find out what the head IT person's favorite kind of beer is. Then send them lots of it.

marvick300
08-19-2013, 07:42 PM
I would also tell you to just use a wireless router/switch. Make it work by itself and then just talk to the IT people and let them know what you have and how you need it to work. They know how their network works and how to easily add what you have into it. It could be as easy as them giving you an IP address.

twalker17
09-14-2013, 05:04 PM
I added a cradle point router to my system...
give me wifi and allows the router to manage any external IT systems.....

doabgah
11-21-2013, 04:33 AM
I have a problem,During live recording i used some video files recorded on DD to send by network to editing table for saving time.Result i get disturbed video recorded.

JonRaidel
11-24-2013, 02:02 PM
First off: if you are doing these streams on a college campus, they have IT departments. If you are streaming events, no matter what switch or router you choose to bring in livetext, that network will see your network activity and shutdown.

Second: You need to work with your IT department to get yourself network access for a network switch setup. maybe needing Static IP addresses for your tricaster and livetext machine.

doabgah
11-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks,

I will contact IT of University of Kashmir.