PDA

View Full Version : Workflow suggestion

Ty Catt
08-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Hello y'all.

Have to create long glue bands for a project. Nothing too fancy with appearing in project, heck I'll even dissolve them in (no tube to dispense with).

Was counting on HyperVoxels, but forgot how spherical it somes off, even with several nulls and additive groups.

Any other suggestions?

And unfortunately, I am still on LW 9.

Thanks everyone,

Tyler

nickdigital
08-14-2013, 04:39 PM
A poly strip with bones on each end to stretch it like taffy?

Do you have reference of what you're trying to do?

Ty Catt
08-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey Nick,

Naw, just puffy ooey gooey gobs of glue. HV looked good for dabs of glue, but a running bead didn't look too natural unless I strung like 6-7 nulles together in the additive group. As usual, I always do stuff the hard way, there's always a better (and faster) solution out there, and I never remember / use the fancier methods often.

I'd love to show it's full purpose, but it's for a legal matter.

Once the matter concludes, I'll share it for sure.

Thanks,

Tyler

nickdigital
08-14-2013, 05:58 PM
What about modeling one and instancing them?

Ty Catt
08-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Can I instance in LW9?

Boy if I'm wrong... you can see how far behind I am!

Thanks,

nickdigital
08-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Oh, sorry. Forgot you were still on 9.

If you have HDinstance you could, but that's a commercial plugin. Better off putting that money towards an upgrade to 11.

Ty Catt
08-14-2013, 06:31 PM
HAHA TELL ME ABOUT IT!

BETTER YET, TELL MY BOSS ABOUT IT!

Thanks again for your help!

Tyler

nickdigital
08-14-2013, 06:45 PM
BETTER YET, TELL MY BOSS ABOUT IT!

"It took me forever to [insert name of task]. If you had upgraded me and I would have been done yesterday."

prometheus
08-15-2013, 03:42 PM
I think voxels should be fine, you can draw a spline path with many divisions, and add hv surface with additive mode on that.

o create a tube with divisions and subpatch, compress inflate it with point normal tool in modeler, you can then control amount of hv density with the objects subpatch display level when tweakin in vpr and set the render subpatch level
when rendering.

you could also use wind animation path and let your glue string flow with particles, make sure you do the emitter size very small so the hv particles are close to eachother, then use hypervoxels on that.

geometry methods might work even better, soft body,bullet and morping, bones etc, but itīs hard since you donīt have any reference image to know exactly what you want.

You could weight paint weight maps and use that for hv density too were you need it, you have to double click on the hv particles in the objects deform tab after you activated it as hypervoxels, and from there you get an extra
menu were you can set particle weight and choose weight map, you add that later on in density or particle size, workflow wise this menu should be available in the hv module itself I would think, but itīs not.

Michael

Michael

Ty Catt
08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion, you've always had great responses for me in the past. I had to shift gears on the project for a week and work on another area but now I'm back to the glue issue.

I actually had already done what you initially suggested, just using a hand drawn spline path from Modeler and assigining it HV in Layout.

The client changed the project requirements on me (as usual), and requested I have the glue be applied left to right rather than just envelope dissolve in like I had it.

Is there a way to reveal spline path points one at a time? I assumed there was and nosed around and couldn't find any so I gave up.

Any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Tyler

prometheus
08-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion, you've always had great responses for me in the past. I had to shift gears on the project for a week and work on another area but now I'm back to the glue issue.

I actually had already done what you initially suggested, just using a hand drawn spline path from Modeler and assigining it HV in Layout.

The client changed the project requirements on me (as usual), and requested I have the glue be applied left to right rather than just envelope dissolve in like I had it.

Is there a way to reveal spline path points one at a time? I assumed there was and nosed around and couldn't find any so I gave up.

Any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Tyler

you could use that spline path you made, with lot of divisions, but instead of adding it to vertices only, add particles to it, set itīs nozzle to vertices, and then you can control the emission with various
birth rates, either by seconds or frames, and also play around with birth rate.
you can also have it emitt by collision event, that means you add a collision object and set itīs properties to event, so you use that to control the emission.
The particles will start each emissions based on the vertices position in space.

Michael

gerardstrada
08-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Have to create long glue bands for a project.

You might find this old tutorial useful:

http://www.altyna.com/lw/droplets.htm

Gerardo

CourtJester
08-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Oh wow. I'd completely forgotten that I still had that tutorial up. I read this post, and was going through it thinking "Didn't I write a tutorial ages ago that would help here? Too bad it's probably long gone...."

It's not up to modern standards; for example, instead of building those control gradients in Photoshop, you can grab any image with sufficient resolution and "paint" it using a Y gradient Textured Filter (Image Editor -> Processing -> Add Filter -> Textured Filter). Doing so would allow you to "sculpt" the shape of the droplet streaks in-app by tweaking the gradient there instead of constantly messing around with Photoshop.

To cut off an effect in one particular direction, I nowadays use a Value texture with its falloff set to "LinearX" (or Y or Z) and a very high falloff value; if it cuts off the wrong "half" just rotate it, or use a negative falloff. There's probably all kinds of improvements in using any of the node editor/DPKit capabilities that all came into existence years after I wrote that (in the LW 7.x days).

You can also use parent/child particle emitters to create strings of particles and using Particle Age gradients, though doing it that way impacts "directability", which it sounds like Ty Catt needs.

Anyway, yeah. What gerardstrada said. ;)

Ty Catt
08-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Jester- thanks for these suggestions. I can't wait to try them out.

Michael- I am humbled. Never would have thought of that, that's a great idea! That's my biggest problem sometimes, forgetting how each of these modules have the same crossover settings and can be applied in so many different ways. I need to brush up on that!

Thanks again for all the tips!