PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand Instances with Time Offset

raw-m
08-14-2013, 05:50 AM
I have a "base" object that is being scaled from 0 to 1 over 1 second at the beginning of my animation. That is being used as my instanced object.

Applying Instances to another surface and adding the "base" object to that.

Ultimately I'm trying to animate Time Offset with some kind of control - in this case starting from 0 cords then reveal uniformly down the Z. I'm having success by using a negative Time Offset number (i.e., -1 = one second later in the timeline) and adding a texture. The textures offset the animation I have on the base object but in a very random kind of way (depending on the Procedural Texture used).

As mentioned, I want some kind of control over the reveal. I've had limited results using the Node Texture and animating a gradient but that more of an opacity control rather than an offset. Anyone know what to do?

raw-m
08-14-2013, 06:05 AM
Blimey, think I've got it!

On Time Offset use -1 as Value.
Texture Editor:
Gradient:
Z Distance to Object
I created a null and used that for my Object
Start: Value: 0 at 0m
End: Value -1 at 1m

Didn't think to put a minus number in before. Not sure why but it's working nicely!

raw-m
08-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Think I've found a bug in mac 11.5.1. Can't get the Time Offset value to work with Distance to Object gradient. If I add a Procedural Texture and add a Time Offset of -1 then it behaves as it should. If I add the above Distance to Object gradient then whatever value I put into Time Offset has no effect, movement happens right at the start with no offset. Perhaps I'm not understanding how it works properly?

raw-m
08-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Talk about trouble-shooting! In the Texture Editor it would appear that I have to set ALL my gradients to Additive and then it seems to work :D

NinoK
08-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Neat!

We're you ever able to achieve per-instance control? This only seems to work with keyframe animation, and not morphs, mdd, or anything like that. Also, it just seems to randomize, (via time offset), and does not provide any kind of per-instance control that you can link to other stuff.