PDA

View Full Version : Rendering only one piece of geometry in your scene.

digitalimagery
08-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Is there a fast way (other than selecting each model in a scene and switching on "unseen by camera") to render just the model you're working on without having to manually turn off every model in a scene?

I'm trying to speed up production and this would help.

Thanks
DI

xchrisx
08-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Select the item(s) you want to render and press F11.

nickdigital
08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
You could also use the Scene Editor to uncheck the objects you don't want to render. F11 will just give you a still of your selection. It's like F9 but for only the selected object(s).

JoePoe
08-13-2013, 10:38 AM

You could also use the Scene Editor to uncheck the objects you don't want to render. F11 will just give you a still of your selection. It's like F9 but for only the selected object(s).

Yes and Yes.
Easy enough to use Scene Editor if there aren't too many objects.
But there really should be a minimal click solution.

F9 Render Frame
F10 Render Scene
F11 Render Selected Object(s) Frame
F12 Render Selected Object(s) Scene

Haven't found a plug that does this.
@ NickD..... hint hint. :D :angel:

nickdigital
08-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Isn't that what January and Passport is for? :hey:

Iain
08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
The problem with F11 is that the other objects in the scene are taken out of the equation so the lighting is completely different.
Limited Region is sometimes a better option because of this, scene dependant of course.

nickdigital
08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
There's this. Maybe it can be repurposed to work with the F11 command.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/f9-render-sequence/

JoePoe
08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
The problem with F11 is that the other objects in the scene are taken out of the equation so the lighting is completely different.
Limited Region is sometimes a better option because of this, scene dependant of course.

Ah, quite right!

There's this. Maybe it can be repurposed to work with the F11 command.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/f9-render-sequence/

Guess that rules out a repurposing without actually changing F11.

Isn't that what January and Passport is for? :hey:

I always forget what I can't use. Never been able to get Passport up and running. PDF says two files are needed (passport_MC.lsc & passport.lsc), I can only find one (MC). But I think it's actually a processor issue with me.

What is January?

digitalimagery
08-13-2013, 11:18 AM
As usual the cavalry arrives. Thanks everyone. Good answers. In this instance the F11 will be fine. I'm just tweaking a surface but didn't want to wait for everything else and didn't want to go shutting off (and then having to turn everything on).

DI

Is there a fast way (other than selecting each model in a scene and switching on "unseen by camera") to render just the model you're working on without having to manually turn off every model in a scene?

I'm trying to speed up production and this would help.

Thanks
DI

JohnMarchant
08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Ah, quite right!

Guess that rules out a repurposing without actually changing F11.

I always forget what I can't use. Never been able to get Passport up and running. PDF says two files are needed (passport_MC.lsc & passport.lsc), I can only find one (MC). But I think it's actually a processor issue with me.

What is January?

Not sure never heard of January, think he might mean Janus

nickdigital
08-13-2013, 11:23 AM
What is January?

Stupid phone correcting my grammar.

I meant Janus.

I was able to get Passport up and running, did you download all the files?

JohnMarchant
08-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Janus i have recently got. Its very powerful and at the moment im getting my head around it.

There is a demo of it to see if it suits your needs

JoePoe
08-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Stupid phone correcting my grammar.

I meant Janus.

I was able to get Passport up and running, did you download all the files?

:D I hate that!

Hmmmm, Janus is PC only.

As far as Passport goes... SourceForge has 4 files... Docs, Read Me, Scripting (which I don't need), and PassPort_MC.lsc.
But the Docs say "Installation: This consists of 2 files, PassPort_MC.lsc and PassPort.lsc, which need to
be installed via the Utilities >> Add Plugins ...."

I don't have the second file.

BUT, all this may be mute because the Plugin Database says Mac PPC Intel only. Which I am not........ I know I know, time for JoePoe to come out of the dark ages. 8~

Edit:

Thanks John :)

nickdigital
08-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I went here to d/l the files.
https://github.com/philstopford/PassPort_LScript

If you download the zip file you'll get all the files that are listed there.

As for you being on a Mac..not sure I can help. I'm PC. :D

erikals
08-13-2013, 12:27 PM
January! LoL http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif

JoePoe
08-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks Nick!
Looks like I'm out o' luck until I upgrade. ;D

bazsa73
08-13-2013, 12:49 PM
I have found that limited region + VPR is bestest for non-nodal surface tweaking. For example setting up a wood texture or any procedural.
In the Pre-VPR age it was sometimes so boring pushing F9 all the time to get the proper result.

tayotain2
08-13-2013, 12:55 PM
I use Janus. <3

But i think you can also use LWs Compositing buffer export too if you need to render multiple passes of different objects.

Tranimatronic
08-13-2013, 01:07 PM
I usually "load from scene", bring in the lights& camera & the one object I'm concentrating on. Works well for surfacing and matte passes.

Phil
08-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Yes, I really should package this, but it's been way down on the list of priorities. For the end-user, all that is needed is the .lsc file and the contents of the docs folder. The rest is part of the source distribution and would likely only confuse people.

dwburman
08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
The scene editor (well, Scene / Dope Editor now) is a good way to turn things on and off because you can multi-select items and check/uncheck them all at once and see their states. You can use either Scene Editor to make items Active (it renders and effects everything else) or not (the |A| column).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6teJbkhqDoM

Here's Proton's video on the Scene Editor from LW9 that covers some different stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OEVWrDxAlg

That said, you could make all of your objects unseen by camera by (in Object mode) selecting all (ctrl-a) of your objects, opening the properties panel and checking 'Unseen by Camera' and the setting will be applied to all of the selected objects.

I'd really like to see a 'solo' button added to the scene editor so you could easily, temporarily, turn objects on and off without having to change the active state for all of the objects. I have scenes with dozens if not hundreds of objects including several base objects used for instances so I have a bunch of objects that need to be active and a bunch of items that need to be inactive and I'd like to be able to easily solo/unsolo specific objects or lights without having to go through and pick out which things need to be on or off. There are work arounds (color coding or making selection sets), but a solo toggle like After Effects or audio mixing boards would be handy. This could also probably be done via scripting (check to see what is active and what is inactive and store that (maybe in selection sets), make everything inactive except what is selected (with options for just objects, lights or both) and then a button or just rerunning the script to restore the original).

nemofish
08-13-2013, 09:15 PM

This is a proper way.

faulknermano
09-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Hmmmm, Janus is PC only.

Bit late to the discussion.

I haven't disclosed it officially, but technically-speaking Janus (v1.8) is Mac compatible. I reckon this would be shock to Mac users who've been asking me about it ages ago, given how casually I'm announcing this bit of news -- I will, in due course, announce it 'properly' and 'officially'. However, in the meantime, the truth of the matter is that while Janus does run on a Mac, I haven't been able to test its robustness (or LW Mac's robustness for that matter). I'm not saying it's unstable, but I can't say that I've used it enough on the Mac to say it is. This is the main reason why it's still in the shadows. But I suggest that if you're interested in trying out Janus Mac, just head over to the site (http://faulknermano.com/janus/tryorbuy.html)where you can find information on how to get a trial version (eg emailing me).

I'd probably have to get rid of that 'incompatible with Mac' line, soon enough.

And, yes, I found the the 'January' bit funny, too. Better than the 'anus' joke. :D