PDA

View Full Version : Help with IES lighting.....Pleeeeese

neilp
08-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Can anybody help please,

I'm creating renders for alighting design company and have been asked to use IES lighting. I'm pretty cool with scene set ups and loading IES lighting data but my renders appear dark.

The lighting scheme I am using has been designed by the lighting company and the IES lights supplied by there chosen manufacturers, so I'm confident the scheme should be brighter.

To keep it simple the scene is a basement with no external light influences (although I will be doing a ground floor area with external 'shop front' light influence later and may ask about setting that up with correct levels)

Can any one advise regarding:

Diffuse settings on surfaces - its simple to ramp up the diffuse levels of the scene to get the lights looking brighter but I guess this isn't accurate as the client wants to see a simulation of the pre-designed lighting scheme.

IES lights import at a standard 50% Lightwave 'Light Intensit'y but also have an 'IES Brightness' slider which imports as Brightness 1.0 Is there a standard way to set these up so that I get real life lighting results to illustrate the lighting design as in the real world?

It seems there are many variables within the Lightwave environment which allow me to steer away from real life settings, this is great when setting up 'imaginary' images but confusing when trying to set up a real life lighting scenario....

Any help would be very much appreciated

Neil

Twisted_Pixel
08-12-2013, 06:50 AM
I remember reading a post by Lewis, I believe, he was having to use intensities in the 1000s for some IES lights.

Some googling and I found the post...

http://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/t-135148.html

Chrusion
08-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Confirmed. I've needed to boost intensity up to 1000 - 3000 on some IES files to get the desired pattern wash on floors and walls. 100% is not 100% in most IES. Sometimes it might even be too bright and many are all but invisible. All depends on the IES.