PDA

View Full Version : Where'd you learn to box model?

hrgiger
11-12-2003, 05:21 PM
All the time I've been using Lightwave (for about 2 years now), I've modeled everything point by point or with splines. The only box modeling I've done is to basically smooth shift out areas on my model and bevel and shift until I have another form (such as an ear). I'd really like to learn how to model complete characters (or objects in general) from box modeling. I know there are many tutorials out there and a few here on Newtek's tutorial page, but I would like to see any links where you actually learned the most from box modeling or any other *free* resources that you know of. Thanks in advance.

mattclary
11-13-2003, 06:01 AM
Steve, the June/July issue of Keyframe has a good tutorial on box modeling a head. I haven't had a chance to finish it, but I was definitely getting something headlike a lot quicker than the Inside LW book. This greatly satisfied my lack o' patience.

mattbolton
11-13-2003, 07:46 AM
This is the one that got me started with "box" modeling.
When I first went through it, the instructions were all in French, but the pictures were so clear and descriptive that it didn't matter that I couldn't read French very well.
Also, I think it was done with some program called "Max"?, but I was able to easily adapt it to the 3D software I was using at the time.
Here is a link to an English translation of it that I found this morning:
http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

hrgiger
11-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Matt, is that the issue with the box modeling of Edward Norton's head? I have that around here somewhere, I"ll have to refer back to it...

mlinde
11-13-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Matt, is that the issue with the box modeling of Edward Norton's head? I have that around here somewhere, I"ll have to refer back to it...
Um, since I'm here... yes. It's got the army guys on the cover. Issue 34 June/July

mattclary
11-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Yep, that's the one. I didn't even bother putting an image in the background, just started playing.

hrgiger
11-14-2003, 01:06 AM
Well, here's the progress thus far on my first box model. It's going ok, I guess the hardest thing is adding detail where I need it and deciding where to add edges and all that. It seems very unnatural to start from a box but I'm not finding it totally painful...