PDA

View Full Version : Dstorm's "Load Bones" plugin. Has anyone used it?

Ryan Roye
08-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I wanted to see about taking advantage of Mike Green's "bone update" script, but the tool works based off of skelegons. So, I took a look at Dstorm's "Load Bones" plugin only to find that it doesn't seem to want to load any files even in LW 9.6.

Does anyone have any experience with Dstorms load bones plugin and has managed to get it working?

Greenlaw
08-11-2013, 10:57 AM
It's a really old plug-in so, if I remember correctly, you need to export your scene file as a LW 6.0 file for it to work. Load Bones won't work with later file formats.

G.

Ryan Roye
08-11-2013, 12:13 PM
It's a really old plug-in so, if I remember correctly, you need to export your scene file as a LW 6.0 file for it to work. Load Bones won't work with later file formats.

G.

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much for the tip! I need to make a mental note to check the version number listed in the LWplugindb... maybe there are other plugins like this I've overlooked due to the need to export a compatible scene file.

I owe you one, you rock :)

Greenlaw
08-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Cool! Glad that worked. I wish the tool could be updated since it's obviously still useful. :)

nickdigital
08-11-2013, 02:54 PM
I wonder if D storm knows about this, or if they can pass this information on to the developer of the plugin.

Ryan Roye
08-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I wonder if D storm knows about this, or if they can pass this information on to the developer of the plugin.

I wouldn't know... it'd be nice to see a few old dstorm plugins get some compatibility fixing though:

-Map Motion 2: Load assignment presets are broken (a setback for those who use a lot of XYZ control nulls), lists display incorrectly

-HMOT saver: selection save/load is broken

-Create Key +: Creates invisible fractional keyframes as of LW 10+. Graph type, a plugin bundled with create key + can perform similar functions, but it'd sure be nice to have create key+ working in 11.5+.

nickdigital
08-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I suppose you could fogbugz it and see what happens.

Dodgy
08-11-2013, 08:01 PM
If you have any suggestions, or requests, let me know.

Ryan Roye
08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
If you have any suggestions, or requests, let me know.

So far things seem to be working nicely with your update bones script. The only issue I noticed is with IKBooster rigs as it deletes settings... however, there is a workaround to this:

Because updatebones doesn't delete anything (unless you tell it to), you can simply copy "IKBooster" in the geometry tab, remove it, use MGUpdateBones, then paste IKBooster back in so that you don't need to re-assign IKStop, move mode, etc. It'd be a user friendly addition if IKB settings were preserved automatically, but this works just as well.

I checked over some other things like how it handles motion modifiers... everything operates and is intact.

Dodgy
08-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Hmm, that's odd, I don't do anything to delete settings for IKB, I wonder what could be causing that....

tyrot
09-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Mike,ryan please help me here..

1- I've got a Character.lwo from JimmyRig with motions attached to it.
2- I exported my scene LW6 - and in modeler i imported JimmyRig.LWS's bones with "LOAD BONES" plugin. Ok . I see JimmyRig skelegons here now.
3- I fixed some problems etc. I didnt add a bone..I merged Skelegon layer+Character layer= Characterfix.lwo (in Mike's youtube video - i couldnt see the layers because of screen capture)
4- When i replaced Character.lwo with Characterfix.lwo - Update bones - CRASH!

I dont know what is wrong here.. In JimmyRig it is very hard to have a precise skeleton adjustment - So that 's why i wanted to use "LoadBones" and "UpdateBones"

(i guess it does work on 9.6 - but crashed in 11.5)
update:
In 9.6 it works like on just ONE frame and the rest of the frames - rig is going back its original position :(.. auto key is on.

erikals
09-17-2013, 06:40 AM

G.

indeed http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHhTauxOvsw

Ryan Roye
09-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Mike,ryan please help me here..

In 9.6 it works like on just ONE frame and the rest of the frames - rig is going back its original position :(.. auto key is on.

I'm not sure about the crashing, it doesn't happen on my end.

As for the rig snapping back to position, make sure you delete all of the XYZ keyframes in the rig (except for frame 0) via the graph editor because I noticed Jimmyrig generates those keys when it outputs animation despite the fact those values don't change.

erikals
09-18-2013, 06:34 AM
I dont know what is wrong here.. In JimmyRig it is very hard to have a precise skeleton adjustment - So that 's why i wanted to use "LoadBones" and "UpdateBones"

not sure if combining "LoadBones" / "UpdateBones" with JimmyRig is possible, as "LoadBones" / "UpdateBones" use skelegons.
sorry, not sure about this...

tyrot
09-18-2013, 09:02 AM
erikals - JR export LWS right with object + motions + bones. But placement of these bones is a hard task in JR (because there is no numeric panel etc). So when i import these bones using load bones into Modeler, i have skelegons.
Then i was planning to use updatebones. Anyways i will share workflow if i manage to do..

erikals
09-18-2013, 09:34 AM
ah, thought "UpdateBones" were updating skelegons...
still not sure why it won't work though, but i haven't used JimmyRig, not yet anyway.