PDA

View Full Version : Render Farm/Fiber FX Problem

MAUROCOR
08-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi, all.
May someone can help me with this.

I'm having this "bug" with FiberFX and I wanted to know if someone else encountered it and if it has some workaround since it's really messing with my workflow.
Using fur (not modeler guides) with fiberfx and rendering an animation through the farm I get "different" hair renders for some machines. If I render the animation locally on a single machine the hair looks fine.
It looks like some machines calculate the hair differently or something like that. I don't think it's a farm issue since the same behaviour reported with both Butterfly Net Render and Deadline.

I am working with LW 11.5.1.

VonBon
08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I have no idea, but maybe it could have something to do with
Intel vs. Amd processors?

Spinland
08-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Not sure if it's related but when rendering an animated character with short FFX fur distributed over two Macs using Smedge (which is just a front end for LWSN) I would sometimes get frames where the fur was displaced from the geometry by several pixels. It didn't happen every time, and if I re-rendered locally on a single machine it would work fine. I haven't seen that behavior recently (It last happened on 11.5) but whenever i use that character it's something I have to be on the lookout for.

leandropedrouzo
08-20-2013, 09:54 AM
I 've been doing some test in the farm:

- rotating object with combed fur= WRONG
- rotating camera around fixed object with combed fur = OK
- rotating object with combed fur with baked MDD= WRONG
- fixed object with combed fur = OK

any ideas??

3DGFXStudios
08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
I don't think this is the problem but different versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable can cause problems on a renderfarm.

Greenlaw
08-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Just curious but which render controller are you using?

I've successfully rendered a lot of FiberFX on my farm but haven't tried it with 11.6 yet. Right now I'm only rendering environments with 11.6 but should be doing more character layers with FiberFX later this week--will let you know how that goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, but I'm using FiberMesh guides for Brudders. No biggie--will run simple tests using regular FiberFX guides while I'm at it.

G.

leandropedrouzo
08-20-2013, 12:30 PM
right now we are using Deadline, but in the past we have the same problem with Butterfly Net Render.
Just to be clear, the problem is with FUR guides, not actual geometry guides.
Right now I'm trying to polygonize the fur guides and Hadrlinking then to the object, but the polygonize seems to be buggy with some styling options (dont know which ones yet). To be able to polygonize the fur guides I had to clear all the settings amd activate a new FiberFX with only the hair style enabled. Obviously, doing that I lost a lot of tweakings and setting for my fur.
If the combed fur worked like it is suppoused to, it 'd be a lot easier and faster.

leandropedrouzo
08-20-2013, 03:50 PM
I 've been doing some test in the farm:

- rotating object with combed fur= WRONG
- rotating camera around fixed object with combed fur = OK
- rotating object with combed fur with baked MDD= WRONG
- fixed object with combed fur = OK

any ideas??

New test:

- fixed object with combed fur with one bone rotating = OK

maybe if I don't move or rotate or scale the objet at all and only deform it with bones it might work.
still have to do some tests with nulls (parenting with nulls)

VermilionCat
08-20-2013, 09:18 PM
I once had problems when I didn't save the scene at frame 0 then sent to the farm... They render differently.

MAUROCOR
08-21-2013, 04:51 AM
I once had problems when I didn't save the scene at frame 0 then sent to the farm... They render differently.

It is a possibility. I will check that one.

leandropedrouzo
08-21-2013, 07:29 AM

I think that bug was removed when they changed the combing style to be stored in the object.

leandropedrouzo
08-21-2013, 07:37 AM
New test:

- fixed object with combed fur with one bone rotating = OK

maybe if I don't move or rotate or scale the objet at all and only deform it with bones it might work.
still have to do some tests with nulls (parenting with nulls)

Edit:
I found out that when I did the baking I didn't erase the keys from the rotating object. so...
- rotating object with combed fur with baked MDD with animation keys= WRONG
- rotating object with combed fur with baked MDD animation keys deleted= OK
It seems that the bug presents itself when you rotate or move (didnt try scale yet, but assume it too) the object. But, apparently, if you deform it with bones or make a mdd with some deformation and the object has no rotation or traslation keys it renders fine.

leandropedrouzo
08-21-2013, 09:39 AM
All the previous test I made were done with a furry ball.
I changed to an actual object: a dog head with a facial rig.
I rendered an animation taking care of not having any key on the object, just bones and moprhs.
The render turned out WRONG
Some frames rendered differently from the others, even though the difference seems much smaller than the one you get when you move the object.
Some parts of the hair appear combed slightly different, but the render is unusable.
It's frustating that I cannot use combed fur yet.
"Easy to comb. Hard to render"

leandropedrouzo
08-21-2013, 04:51 PM
It seems that I found the light at the end of the tunnel.
I disabled the "use screamernet rendering" option and the magic is happening.
Apparently having the scene in memory is a no-go for fur.
I will have a good night sleep, at least until I find a new problem...