PDA

View Full Version : I wanna blow up a car! (but only virtually)

Sebasvideo
08-08-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm trying to learn fracture today, and I'm not too happy with the results, so I need some advice. Lightwave is famous for things like BSG, Iron Sky, etc all of which have beautiful explosions. Obviously explosions have other elements, but fracture is part of the process, right? The problem I have is that whatever options I use for fracturing, the mesh ends up a little messed up. In theory a good fracture should leave the model in such a way that is fractured but it doesn't look like it. As you can see in the attached render, the car exterior is not terrible, although a few vertices went crazy, but those can be pushed back inside the car. But inside the car through the glass it looks like Robocop had a panic attack.. This was done with Voronoi, random points at 100 cells. However, I tried all of them, I read the manual to see how each worked, played with different settings and got different results, but the crazy situation inside the car is about the same. This happens with every car I loaded, and these are the cars from http://www.dmi-3d.net/, which are all done in Lightwave, it's not one of those Maya to C4D to Blender to OBJ conversions where many things go awry.

So those of you who have experience creating high quality explosions, what fracture settings do you use?

pinkmouse
08-08-2013, 06:38 PM
For any of the fracture commands to work without artifacts like that, you need to make sure that every object is a closed solid. So, for instance, if the dashboard is a single poly, it won't fracture well, you need to extrude it to make it 3d.

shrox
08-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Using that will just look like a 1980's polygonal mess. Break the car into pieces, like the doors, hood, trunk, etc. The morph them into deformed shapes they might have after being involved in an explosion. Then you'll want to either move them manually, or something like HardFX.

jasonwestmas
08-08-2013, 07:48 PM
yes, metal doesn't shatter like rock, concrete and glass so just take that into consideration. It's more bendy and hard when tossed about by elemental forces.

JonW
08-08-2013, 08:56 PM
You would want to have it break up in pieces at weak points. As said above the doors blown off, boot, bonnet etc, along weld lines, not the middle of solid things. Also trims and parts stuck on the car, each of these could deform & break into 2 or three bits. A car door would be best to leave as one part but deform because of the pressure of the explosion.

All the glass would have been blown out at the start. But I guess this would be so fine & fast that a shower of particles flying at the start will be the go.

Having said all that. If you want to make the car explosion look good. it will actually look nothing like a real explosion. When you see this on TV all you see is a instant cloud of fire & smoke!

I did read many years ago. Whether this is true or not. But footage from an underground nuclear test captured the manhole cover flying off the hole the bomb was lowered into. Someone did the calculations that the manhole cover would be the furthest manmade object sent into space!

Sebasvideo
08-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the very useful advice. I knew that probably an explosion that looks real would need to fracture different parts of the car separately and bend others (unless the car was made of stone completely) but I wondered why it was so hard to get a fractured that would leave the mesh intact but fractured. I seem to remember I had more success with the fracture tool in Blender, but I don't like that program in the least so I try to stay away from it as much as possible.

My final goal is to achieve good explosions in space, it blows my mind when I see BSG and I see not only the simple explosions of Vipers and Raiders (which I'm sure are probably more complicated than they look), but even more when I see the big ships explode in several different places and then break apart in tiny pieces. I imagine it must take a lot of planning regarding which layers to fracture and which ones to morph, besides the particles, which I think are called Hypervoxels in Lightwave, right?

bazsa73
08-09-2013, 02:29 AM
I did read many years ago. Whether this is true or not. But footage from an underground nuclear test captured the manhole cover flying off the hole the bomb was lowered into. Someone did the calculations that the manhole cover would be the furthest manmade object sent into space!
That's so cool, this could be the start of an animated short. Then we see in deep space the drifting cover hitting an alien craft. Bang.

bazsa73
08-09-2013, 02:33 AM
I would do first a rough test, a quick violent flash followed by a Hypervoxel explosion turning into black and billowing heavily. When the explosion happens the car can be lifted slightly up in the air.
I think this effect on 24fps happens so abruptly that you practically see clearly only the burning out.

tcoursey
08-09-2013, 06:59 AM
For any of the fracture commands to work without artifacts like that, you need to make sure that every object is a closed solid. So, for instance, if the dashboard is a single poly, it won't fracture well, you need to extrude it to make it 3d.

I did not know this. Good info. I'm sure I will need to blow something up sometime! :)

prometheus
08-09-2013, 08:08 PM
You probably might want to check Sean M Jacksons learning series, Explosion, Fire and Smoke Volume I and II.
I think he worked on battlestar galactica with these kind of effects of exploding ships etc,
I havenīt seen them up now and Im not sure where they can be purchased from today since kurvs studios vanished?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrV_G9ZxzBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZNp9ni6-sI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2VFxt57EJo
Thereīs more samples on the channel ..browse through them and you might get an idea.

In the series I think he goes through destroying and preparing the models for exploding parts etc, probably by cutting and pasting parts, using premade debri parts and maybe using morphs to manually explode the parts, not
sure if he used hardfx for it..maybe.
Today we have the bullet engine for dynamics, and special fracture tools, but that might not be necessary..the old techniques might still be the most efficient to work with, with fracture in modeler you can also explode to morph.

thatīs what I believe is the destruction part..for the fire explosion parts I think they used a lot of combination of real explosion footage from some of those bigger reckording studios using real pyro effects, that is comped or mixed in with plates and together
with hypervoxels particle trails to add direction and further firey motion, in some cases you could probably use purely hypervoxels for explosions too.

Dj cat kelly myers...I think he had some tutorials similar too, and I think he was involved some way too with some explosion stuff, I do not know where those tutorials are now though, seem to be gone from www.liberty3d.com..you could visit the site
and contact them, i think it might have been some legal issues about some content for explosions in there...donīt know for sure though.

So check either Sean M jacksons videos or Kelly myers videos.

Those spaceshot explosions has their distinct style...but fits mostly there, car explosions will most likely have that rolling smaller pyro cloud..and for that you would like to go with turbulenceFD..visit www.jawset.com for downloading
and testing the fluid plugin for lightwave with a learning edition.

You could map fluid simulations, or real life footage on to sprite clips, like using the sprites shading tab and using clips, from there you can load in firesequence or explosion sequences and you can sort of get a realtime openGL feedback
on where the explosion is and how it looks.

old dynamite plugin had a great fire shader..but it isnīt available anymore...with some work you might get close with hypervoxels...
Hereīs a tank explode test...no pieces flying though:)
http://vimeo.com/28587261

Michael

prometheus
08-09-2013, 08:10 PM
You probably might want to check Sean M Jacksons learning series, Explosion, Fire and Smoke Volume I and II.
I think he worked on battlestar galactica with these kind of effects of exploding ships etc,
I havenīt seen them up now and Im not sure where they can be purchased from today since kurvs studios vanished?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrV_G9ZxzBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZNp9ni6-sI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2VFxt57EJo
Thereīs more samples on the channel ..browse through them and you might get an idea.

In the series I think he goes through destroying and preparing the models for exploding parts etc, probably by cutting and pasting parts, using premade debri parts and maybe using morphs to manually explode the parts, not
sure if he used hardfx for it..maybe.
Today we have the bullet engine for dynamics, and special fracture tools, but that might not be necessary..the old techniques might still be the most efficient to work with, with fracture in modeler you can also explode to morph.

thatīs what I believe is the destruction part..for the fire explosion parts I think they used a lot of combination of real explosion footage from some of those bigger reckording studios using real pyro effects, that is comped or mixed in with plates and together
with hypervoxels particle trails to add direction and further firey motion, in some cases you could probably use purely hypervoxels for explosions too.

Dj cat kelly myers...I think he had some tutorials similar too, and I think he was involved some way too with some explosion stuff, I do not know where those tutorials are now though, seem to be gone from www.liberty3d.com..you could visit the site
and contact them, i think it might have been some legal issues about some content for explosions in there...donīt know for sure though.

So check either Sean M jacksons videos or Kelly myers videos.

Those spaceshot explosions has their distinct style with pure expansion and retraction and without air compression to advect the explosion...so it fits mostly there, car explosions will most likely have that rolling smaller pyro cloud due to air..and for that you would like to go with turbulenceFD..visit www.jawset.com for downloading
and testing the fluid plugin for lightwave with a learning edition.

You could map fluid simulations, or real life footage on to sprite clips, like using the sprites shading tab and using clips, from there you can load in firesequence or explosion sequences and you can sort of get a realtime openGL feedback
on where the explosion is and how it looks.

old dynamite plugin had a great fire shader..but it isnīt available anymore...with some work you might get close with hypervoxels...
Hereīs a tank explode test...no pieces flying though:)

hereīs an old compare test with some hypervoxels...thanks to bazsa73 and a remake of it I did.
http://vimeo.com/26508787

Michael

prometheus
08-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Hereīs two explosion presets I made long time ago...(Edited...preset link did not work on first post..fixed)
http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/428/
http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/429/

quite old and made for use on single nulls as initial big blast, I would probably recomend using particle emitters with carriers and trailers though...like these.
http://vimeo.com/45587582

djwaterman
08-10-2013, 02:36 AM
My 2 cents here, not really interested in giving you fracture advise or anything dynamics related, but I suggest you plan the shot out and work out what camera angle you're gonna be working with, and then plan all your destruction to play to that camera. An explosion has so many random and messy elements it's best put together in the composite, where you can cheat using filmed smoke, fire and dust elements to enhance whatever your 3D is doing. Cu-dos if you can do something convincing all in 3D that looks good from all angles, but I'd be trying to do some sleight of hand to pull something like that off.

OnlineRender
08-10-2013, 05:57 AM
...p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Htl1qNBaUA

Sebasvideo
08-10-2013, 08:25 AM

There should be a law that when a company defrauds its artists, the copyright transfers automatically to the artists. Like in this case, Kurv had a lot of very talented artists do a lot of tutorials for them, didn't pay them a dime (google Kurv Studios rip off and you can read several reports on it) but now there's no chance of getting those tutorials anywhere unless resorting to piracy, in which I would put myself at legal risk, and even my computer if they have a virus. Like two BSG tutorials, one by Kat Myers and another one by Kevin Phillips that I'd love to get my hands on, but they're not for sale anymore. So if there was a law for which the copyright goes back to the author in case of non-payment, they could be free to sell them themselves. That would be the most logical and moral thing to do.

However, at least Kelly Myers is going to release a tutorial that he told me has some of the techniques of his Kurv Studios tutorial, but applied to Iron Sky, so I'm eager to buy that when it's released, whenever that may be.

Sebasvideo
08-10-2013, 08:30 AM
My 2 cents here, not really interested in giving you fracture advise or anything dynamics related, but I suggest you plan the shot out and work out what camera angle you're gonna be working with, and then plan all your destruction to play to that camera. An explosion has so many random and messy elements it's best put together in the composite, where you can cheat using filmed smoke, fire and dust elements to enhance whatever your 3D is doing. Cu-dos if you can do something convincing all in 3D that looks good from all angles, but I'd be trying to do some sleight of hand to pull something like that off.

Agreed, but I'm just trying to learn this stuff, I'm not a VFX professional for now. My budget at the most allows me to blow up a toy car :)

prometheus
08-10-2013, 09:46 AM
There should be a law that when a company defrauds its artists, the copyright transfers automatically to the artists. Like in this case, Kurv had a lot of very talented artists do a lot of tutorials for them, didn't pay them a dime (google Kurv Studios rip off and you can read several reports on it) but now there's no chance of getting those tutorials anywhere unless resorting to piracy, in which I would put myself at legal risk, and even my computer if they have a virus. Like two BSG tutorials, one by Kat Myers and another one by Kevin Phillips that I'd love to get my hands on, but they're not for sale anymore. So if there was a law for which the copyright goes back to the author in case of non-payment, they could be free to sell them themselves. That would be the most logical and moral thing to do.

However, at least Kelly Myers is going to release a tutorial that he told me has some of the techniques of his Kurv Studios tutorial, but applied to Iron Sky, so I'm eager to buy that when it's released, whenever that may be.

You might think there might already be such laws taking care of that? with copyright etc, even though they worked for a studio or retailer of training material, might be different in countries, and especially if you have done work and
even if you had written agreement that the copyright belongs to those you are working for, if you have delivered a work that isnīt payed for, It canīt logically be considered a payed work that is valid...thus you as the creator
has the copyright...It must be under the notice that all agreements must be fullfilled if any copyright issues can be claimed from the vendor, otherwise the copyright goes to the creator automaticly.

I think there might be to few cases so it might not have reached the highest court to serve as a praxis case.

Back to blow ups...I think you only will need a few pieces flying away from the car, the rests would probably just be engulfed in flames, depends also if you have a still standig car or if itīs a highway car crash etc.
Remember this?
Anatomy of a truck crash...matrix reloaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95FbitaBT8

prometheus
08-10-2013, 10:37 AM
noted Sean M Jacksons youtube profile...
https://www.youtube.com/user/XianJaxxon/videos

he also mentions this about the series hid did for kurv studios.

"
XianJaxxon

I don't think it's available anymore. Heck, I taught the tutorial, and I never even got a copy.

Explosion, Fire and Smoke Volume II - Sample 04

Sample Video from KURV studios on Sean M. Jackson's Explosion, Fire and Smoke Volume II…"

Here is his reel with shots from galactica and many more...you could also try and mail him and see if he by any chance has acess to any of the training series or if he could
give you some advice on how to approach a car blowing up shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BIgvV3oI8

Michael

erikals
08-10-2013, 11:23 AM
maybe the new Liberty3D video from Kat could help... >
http://www.liberty3d.com

to be released soon...

prometheus
08-10-2013, 12:18 PM

to be released soon...

I hope they do final result animated sample renders of what the course will bring, otherwise Im all going for the hard way of trial and error myself..I really need a sort of visual of how the results will be..compared to where
I am at on my own trial and errors.
itīs been a while though since using the demo versions of turbulenceFD, have to get back at that some day.

Michael

JohnMarchant
08-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Ive got a few of Kelly's tutorials and they are very good indeed. I agree with your moments reference Kurv, i have a few of theirs as well.

prometheus
08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Ive got a few of Kelly's tutorials and they are very good indeed. I agree with your moments reference Kurv, i have a few of theirs as well.

that is all fine and dandy, for me though ..it is a must to see the results of the fire and fluid dynamics, and that it has a look to it that I myself would consider hard to acheive for myself, so I canīt rely on what other says actually..therefore
a render of what the expected project result is a must for me.
And since we are talking about fluids and dynamics with motion, a still image wont do.

Michael

Sebasvideo
08-10-2013, 01:30 PM

to be released soon...

Which one are you talking about?

JohnMarchant
08-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Im thinking the Turbulance4D video that is coming soon, or am i wrong

Sebasvideo
08-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Im thinking the Turbulance4D video that is coming soon, or am i wrong

Oh, well, I won't buy Turbulence any time soon, anyway. But I was planning on buying some of Kat's tutorials on other stuff anyway.

JohnMarchant
08-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh, well, I won't buy Turbulence any time soon, anyway. But I was planning on buying some of Kat's tutorials on other stuff anyway.

Neither am i on the Turbulence front. Kats videos are good using displacements and bullet should be a good way to go for blowing up a car. Kat has some good tutorials on that using a spaceship, crumpling the metal before exploding it.

erikals
08-11-2013, 01:45 AM
I hope they do final result animated sample renders of what the course will bring, otherwise Im all going for the hard way of trial and error myself..I really need a sort of visual of how the results will be..compared to where
I am at on my own trial and errors...

unfortunately i doubt there will be sample renders, they usually don't provide it... :/

prometheus
08-11-2013, 06:10 AM
unfortunately i doubt there will be sample renders, they usually don't provide it... :/

I know...that is rarely seen, that is also why I mostly donīt buy in too any of those effects tutorials, I donīt want to find out that I actually could come up with same results myself, And if I myself were to
do any such tutorial I would of course provide final result render.
I canīt see any issues on why not providing it, except for rendertime:)

You donīt wanīt to buy the pig in the sack so to speak, if the end project result is good, then I see it as a good way to sell the tutorial much more, if itīs not..the opposite of course.
Of course there is probably much much more to take advantage of referencing Kellyīs production experience, but generally I can only see it as complementary showcase of what to expect.

Sean M Jackson did a showcase of his stuff on youtube, unfortunatly It seems to be not available anymore, he says so himself.

One area I would like to get to know more about within space battle scenes, that would be more massive multi explosions and multimissile hit before that, but that needs to showcase multi explosions and preferably
also the mix of live plate pyro, that might be an issue due to copyrightīs of certain footage of course, so I guess it has to be free clips or homemade clips.
Havenīt seen any of that larger scale shot like that.

Single shotīs shown In Sean M Jacksons video..I would say I could match myself...but the whole directing and timing of multimissiles and multiexplosions I would be more interested in to see, so I could get
a better Insight in production techniques for such shots rather than set it up with more painstakingly manual methods myself.
_ _ _ _ _

Back to car blowing up, I donīt think there is much need of fracturing the car that much, could probably as well just be cutting and pasting parts, adding thickness, blowing out the doors, windows and some small detail debris,
I think such blast would be so fast that you canīt really see that much except for the blast itself.
I would say that if you want the best...turbulenceFD is what to use, otherwise..mostly setup 3 or 4 emitters, one for initial big center blast, one for the particle plume burst and a third with the particle trail plume itself, maybe a fourth
with particles spawning upwards from that...the rest is tweaking hypervoxels to the death..and using composit to blur and distort in the end.

The blasting sequence (truck collison)from The Matrix reloaded was done with particles and afterburner in 3ds max...and a lot, I mean a lot of time went in to that shot, afterburner has somewhat more advanced controls and a special explosion daemon deformer which makes it good for such things, principles could be adapted and worked through to do similar with hypervoxels, it all depends on what type of explosion shot youré after.

Michael

prometheus
08-11-2013, 06:28 AM
some Old tutorials from previously desktop images is availbable free from Greg Sullivan who made them, not a car blast, it deals with a dynamic shot of a plane and a small hous exploding and some dynamics and particle effects setup
with particle emitters and trails that can be useful, it lacks the final Hypervoxels touch though .which is the hard part to get right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTKd7pA3rU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUF4SeH6gEOiVKcCxX2tcxZg

Update...another good car blast ref...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Knf49Gq9-w

MIchael

Sebasvideo
08-11-2013, 06:31 AM
One area I would like to get to know more about within space battle scenes, that would be more massive multi explosions and multimissile hit before that, but that needs to showcase multi explosions and preferably
also the mix of live plate pyro, that might be an issue due to copyrightīs of certain footage of course, so I guess it has to be free clips or homemade clips.
Havenīt seen any of that larger scale shot like that.

Single shotīs shown In Sean M Jacksons video..I would say I could match myself...but the whole directing and timing of multimissiles and multiexplosions I would be more interested in to see, so I could get
a better Insight in production techniques for such shots rather than set it up with more painstakingly manual methods myself.
Michael

I would love to see that kind of tutorial as well.

prometheus
08-11-2013, 06:42 AM
I would love to see that kind of tutorial as well.

I might cover that in a tutorial ..in a couple of years when Im finished manually setting it up:), and installing my recording devices again and get the passion to actually do it too:)

Meanwhile..you might want to check this pyro stunt car blast reference...aprox 1.20 in to the video you get some nice details about the blast, heat, timing etc...and some good slo mo pics of the blast...such blast seen there would
probably require Fluids..wouldnīt try hypervoxels for the rolling afterburnt gas cloud...the initial blasts and trails works fine with hypervoxels though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEqIiflPpp8

erikals
08-11-2013, 06:50 AM
i believe Sean M Jackson used a plugin called Bakudan, an in-house LightWave plugin by Kiko Sato no longer developed.

prometheus
08-11-2013, 06:55 AM
i believe Sean M Jackson used a plugin called Bakudan, an in-house LightWave plugin by Kiko Sato no longer developed.

yeah..Ivé heard something about that, wasnīt that something that Kelly M was involved in testing too, and that was a fluid replacement for the old dynamite plugin? I donīt think it was a particle voxel engine right?
I donīt think they continued that since turbulence came along, and thus not necessary.

Michael

erikals
08-11-2013, 07:29 AM
yes, i think that was the reason, it was pretty much like Turbulence, once Turbulence came around development was stopped.
Kelly Kat pushed it forward...

^ ^
•  •
 ^

djlithium
08-11-2013, 07:37 AM
116283Bakudan was a Liberty3d.com product in development at one time and was never released to anyone outside of myself and Kiko. Production stopped on it after TFD had appeared to have a larger head start. Our goal was to replace Dynamite as it sat after Tan Tarcan disappeared from the face of the earth.
Bakudan isn't totally dead. We've been looking at OpenCL to do the calculations stuff recently but don't hold your breath. Kiko is unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) full time at Intel now. I have been working with Jascha on a few things to produce the TFD videos, the first one of course being out on www.liberty3d.com and I'm actually in front of my machine now watching sims as I work to produce the next installment.
Here are some stills.

erikals
08-11-2013, 07:44 AM
might just get it... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

explosion reference >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Knf49Gq9-w

ianr
08-11-2013, 08:42 AM
May I offer some thoughts on this
A) If, you decide you have a 'Curious' Camera, not just a locked off one,
then a close shot could show bodywork ,bloat,rupture & crinkle in SloMo.
All your newer Lightwave goodies to use Cloth, pinning, Bullet Etc,
B) Watching Erikals Vid now after thinking about this verifies Cloth bodywork,
look at that bonnet go! Done well with Turb,it could look destructifingly sexy.

pinkmouse
08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I love the flaming, tumbling, windscreen!

prometheus
08-11-2013, 01:41 PM
yes erikals..good you posted that ref, I did in fact an update of my post with exactly that video too, but strangely it didnīt update or I missed to save the changes of my post.

Kelly cat:) animated samples is what best shows whatīs going on, still renders doesnīt say much, hope you could provide some samples of that later on, for me it wonīt attract me to get anything without that.

Bakudan not completly dead, thatīs good, however...since we do have turbulence; I would rather see the particle voxel engine from dynamite transfered to hypervoxels or a new system, it was a great fireshader, rotational control, polyons and
a much better openGL view(same as afterburner and 3d max) than current lw voxels, blending mode that is a true metablend..not the lousy one we got for hypervoxels volume today, the noise was poor though except for two of the smoke noise textures.. another issue with dynamite in some cases it was much slower than hypervoxels.

Old dynamite voxel engine and some particle carrier and trails...

Long time ago fiddlings with turbulenceFD, I can do better now:)
http://vimeo.com/35528035
http://vimeo.com/35832026
http://vimeo.com/30915803

Michael

prometheus
08-12-2013, 01:41 PM
just a simple first test..not sure I got the time and passion to follow it through, just basics without doing any deeper tweaking of the settings, so timing is off and speed and detail of fluid isnīt correct etc...and I just rendered an open gl preview.
the car is the free simple dodge_ram from dmi cars.
I did a small break up on a door but noticed that I really didnīt have to break it up for this simple shot, since it is already in pieces, now the car should of course be manally fractured in detail and maybe some crumpling to for best effect, later on perhaps.

I just added a null and made it kinematic, moved it up at keyframe 10 so the force from that pushes pieces upwards, extremly simple and fast to set up, I didnīt do anything else with the bullet dynamics except making the car a parts body
and sleep activated.

Added a groundplane and made it static body.

Added a particle emitter set to fixed frame at keyframe 5 and added some explosion value of 20 and 5 meter velocity in y axis.

Added turbulenceFD fluid container and made the particle emitter a fluid emitter, and increased velocity value for the fluid emitter, some remapping of fluid temperature shader.
Didnīt have time to render right now..so the openGL will have to do...it was very fast to setup, and that is thanks to Lightwave workflow speed:) the rest is a matter of looking at reference and tweak bullet and turbulenceFD to
perfection.
Edit update...I forgot to mention that I did a mdd baking of the sim first, added mdd reader and loaded the mdd sim, and then turned off bullet to avoid any complications with turbulenceFD.

See attached mov

Michael

Sebasvideo
08-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Looks cool. Come to think of it, the only things that would need fracturing would be the glass and some interior parts, the body will not fracture in any car.

prometheus
08-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Looks cool. Come to think of it, the only things that would need fracturing would be the glass and some interior parts, the body will not fracture in any car.

Depend on how well built the car is:)
and maybe also the actual force of something blowing up, but generally what you mostly see is some bulging and crumpling and tearing of the bigger parts, and windows and small debris,windshield, interior partis flying out.
But that was what I mentioned too in the beginning of the thread.

Im testing some different blow outs, the posted test was with particles, and right now Iīm testing some with geometry emitting fluids like sphereīs etc, you can strategicly place them around or in the car to get different fluid emissions, some
pressure and maybe temperature expand helps too, the tricky part is to know what voxel size to use in resolution for the fluid container and emitter radius, and also the actual texturing of the fluids, setting turbulence noise and vorticity preferably
before any subgrid detai..if any.
particles gives you more control of directional flames or fast flying expansion, but itīs also tricky to avoid blob look from it, thus geometry emission can give a more cleaner look of th fluid.

Another tricky part might be to get the fast paced explosion have right timing etc.

I might do a particle version too of it with hypervoxels, maybe dynamite voxels too...depends on time and if I feel the project isnīt to complicated timewise...the foremost thing to work on solely though would
be to get the car look like it takes on the explosion power somehow with initial crumpling and small parts flying.

Michael

shrox
08-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I'll blow up a piece of Detroit Iron in the next day or two...kaboom! I have a few models I could use.

prometheus
08-12-2013, 07:15 PM
See attached mov file.
hereīs a VPR preview render with too much smoke, this test thing actually sucks in many ways, lousy car model, lousy shading no good lighting setup, the bullet dynamics is just rude and not perticular cool, the
fluid has too little detail and is completly wrong in colors, should be more white,faint yellow brownish, more like the image kelly posted or like the blast reference, but Hey...Im aware of it and can fix it if I decide to do so:)
Mainly testing general motion and trying to acheive the scale of turbulence and vortices as good as possible without using to much hight res sims, and trying to avoid subrid texturing (they are extremly slow to render)

This time thereīs no particle emitter just two spheres emitting, I did a time stretch to 600 in after effects, some weird VPR hickups in some frames, hate when that happens.
this is just for fast fun so far..if I decide to go more serious and set up a good car blow job, and it will look like something else:)

Mainly I would switch out the car against a better model, let the door fly out, punch crumple the front with displacement and let the fluid emitt from inside of the car more like the reference, in the car reference
you also have very nice sequential ignitions following each other and very nice high velocity dust, not sure I would like to embarge on such project..got lots of other things to do as priority.

Michael