PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Layout have a simple save?

Sebasvideo
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
In almost every application of any kind in the world, something is universal: if you want to save the file you're working on, you hit Ctrl+S or Cmd+S on Macs. That is also true in Modeler, although they replaced it with just S, which is fine, but Layout, when pressing S, it asks you if you want to overwrite the file. I don't understand the purpose of that, or that there doesn't seem to be an option to not display that warning. Is there?

OnlineRender
08-08-2013, 03:48 PM
use save incremental see keyboard shortcut guide /// or shift +S

BeeVee
08-08-2013, 03:52 PM
The same is true of Modeler too in that it just overwrites, but because scenes could potentially be ruined you are warned. As OnlineRender says, using Shift-s will save an increment (in Layout and Modeler) and Ctrl-s is the same as Save As...

B

Sebasvideo
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
use save incremental see keyboard shortcut guide /// or shift +S

I know about Save Incremental, but what if I don't want to have lots of files piling up? On almost everything I work I hit save about once a minute, because I know that any program can crash when you least expect it, and I hate repeating what I was just doing. It's like a curse; the few times I forget to save for a few minutes, Bam! the program crashes. Not that Lightwave is flaky software like Sony Vegas, but it's not crash free either. So if I do a Shift+S every minute or so I'm going to end up with lots of files, which if it's a very important project I'd still want, but I'm working on something that I don't care to have lots of versions, then what's the point?

tcoursey
08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Seems there is a setting somewhere to not show every dialog like that (normal, advanced etc) somewhere. Not sure, couldn't find it quickly.

I agree in some respects. However I love the feature of not having the objects and scene save automatically, there have been many times I want to save the scene but not save changes to the models in it.

I have made a shortcut for save all objects and when I want to I just press ctrl-s and s for everything to be saved.

BeeVee
08-08-2013, 04:10 PM
You can't turn off the warning about overwriting a scene, however they are only text files so don't take much room. You can set the automatic backup facility in Options to back up Scenes and Objects automatically at timed intervals. The good thing about that is that a backup directory is created inside your content directory path that you can just delete when happy.

B

- - - Updated - - -

I have made a shortcut for save all objects and when I want to I just press ctrl-s and s for everything to be saved.

The default keyboard shortcut in 11 is Alt-s to save the scene and all objects.

B

nickdigital
08-08-2013, 04:15 PM
In almost every application of any kind in the world, something is universal: if you want to save the file you're working on, you hit Ctrl+S or Cmd+S on Macs. That is also true in Modeler, although they replaced it with just S, which is fine, but Layout, when pressing S, it asks you if you want to overwrite the file. I don't understand the purpose of that, or that there doesn't seem to be an option to not display that warning. Is there?

Use this script.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/savescene/

Markc
08-09-2013, 04:55 AM
I know about Save Incremental, but what if I don't want to have lots of files piling up? On almost everything I work I hit save about once a minute, because I know that any program can crash when you least expect it, and I hate repeating what I was just doing. It's like a curse; the few times I forget to save for a few minutes, Bam! the program crashes. Not that Lightwave is flaky software like Sony Vegas, but it's not crash free either. So if I do a Shift+S every minute or so I'm going to end up with lots of files, which if it's a very important project I'd still want, but I'm working on something that I don't care to have lots of versions, then what's the point?
It seems your system is very unstable if your having to save every minute (even for LightWave :)) and that's coming from a Mac LW user :eek:
Scene files aren't big either.
Personally I prefer the flexibility of being able to go back to increments (but you should have the option to disable it......at your peril), previous saves have saved me redoing stuff many a time.

Spinland
08-09-2013, 07:05 AM
I personally can't imagine working without incremental saves. I keep an "old stuff" folder in my working folder and when the number of files gets to be a pain I move the older increments there so I don't have to see them (but can still get to them in a catastrophe where I need to revert).

Sebasvideo
08-09-2013, 07:32 AM
It seems your system is very unstable if your having to save every minute (even for LightWave :)) and that's coming from a Mac LW user :eek:
Scene files aren't big either.
Personally I prefer the flexibility of being able to go back to increments (but you should have the option to disable it......at your peril), previous saves have saved me redoing stuff many a time.

Damn, I guess I wrote the reply to this post and I never hit post or something. I could've sworn I did it. But well, I'll type the short version. My computer is very stable, I built it myself and for the past twenty years I've had three Macs and some Dell PCs as well as cheap built no name PCs, and the ones I put together are far better and more stable than any of them including Macs. But I'm a save nazi anyway because programs still crash every now and then, and I hate having to repeat what I did for the past half hour.

But you're right in the save incremental file size, I didn't contemplate that Layout only saves scene information and the objects are in a separate file. I'm used to Modo, which saves all together, except for external textures, and depending on the project the file size can get really big.

Markc
08-09-2013, 07:42 AM
I understand where your coming from, it's like 3D Coat files are huge (I only discovered this after saving new versions each time). There is nothing worse than having to redo stuff, so saving is good whichever way we choose.
Does Nickdigital's script do the trick?

phillydee
08-09-2013, 10:16 AM
I just started using Layout's Simple Scene Backup setting, and have it save every minute. It doesn't generate a new save unless something changed. I've found it really handy. Preferences>General>Save Options> Simple> Autosave Scene: 1 minute

It saves in /[content dir]/backup

It's nice specifically since it does it in the background and doesn't nag you about saving and such.

Just my two-cents here.

BeeVee
08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Exactly! :)

B