PDA

View Full Version : Just starting character model animation question

digitalimagery
08-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Not exactly new to LW but definately new to character animation, I have a couple of newbie questions.

1. I bought this simple model from TurboSquid to use as a jumping off point. I downloaded the free Riggit app to use as a basic rigging tool but it requires the model be in the standard "T" configuration. If you reference this attached figure model, I need to rotate the arms upward and turn the palms down but don't understand how to position the point of rotation for the selected geometry at the shoulder to do this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. How do I mirror that rotation to the left side?

3. Is there anything I need to be concerned with when rotating the arm/forearm and hand to face the palm down (I don't want to mess up the model).

4. Is Riggit a good place to start with rigging? It looks faster than building my own rig inside LW?

Lastly I'm using LW 10.1. I see Genome in 11.6 (which looks very capable - and complex) but that's not an option at this point.

Any help (as always) is appreciated.
DI

nickdigital
08-08-2013, 10:07 AM
1. I bought this simple model from TurboSquid to use as a jumping off point. I downloaded the free Riggit app to use as a basic rigging tool but it requires the model be in the standard "T" configuration. If you reference this attached figure model, I need to rotate the arms upward and turn the palms down but don't understand how to position the point of rotation for the selected geometry at the shoulder to do this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

You could do a rotate operation in Modeler where the origin of your rotation is at the shoulder. Make sure you're Action Center is set to Mouse.

2. How do I mirror that rotation to the left side?

You could work in symmetry mode. You could also delete one half of the model, do the adjustment then mirror it. But if there are existing UVs then that would mess those up.

3. Is there anything I need to be concerned with when rotating the arm/forearm and hand to face the palm down (I don't want to mess up the model).

If you want the character to be palms down you'll probably have to cut the hands off, rotate them down, then stitch them back to the model.

4. Is Riggit a good place to start with rigging? It looks faster than building my own rig inside LW?

Sure, RHiggit is fine.

digitalimagery
08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
You could do a rotate operation in Modeler where the origin of your rotation is at the shoulder. Make sure you're Action Center is set to Mouse.

You could work in symmetry mode. You could also delete one half of the model, do the adjustment then mirror it. But if there are existing UVs then that would mess those up.

If you want the character to be palms down you'll probably have to cut the hands off, rotate them down, then stitch them back to the model.

Sure, RHiggit is fine.

I can always count on a great response from you.
DI

digitalimagery
08-09-2013, 09:08 AM
:hey:116247116246I now have my rig built and positioned (bones off) and when I parent the rig to the model it distorts. Is there a way to say "this is my rig setup, use this for a starting point" so I can use this as the master beginning configuration? If not how do you add the bones without the model moving.

BTW I imported a rig from another scene and needed to parent it to a null to scale it prior to moving/sizing the bones to fit this model. I used regular scale on the null to bring it up to size but sized the bones with "rest position." The model doesn't scale when I marry it to the rig it just leans forward about 15

Thanks
DI

digitalimagery
08-09-2013, 09:24 AM
This is the file (LW.10.1) and model (this is a TurboSquid model so anyone who downloads it please respect their usage terms).

Thanks for any help.

DI

nickdigital
08-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Your setup is off. The model doesn't become a child of the rig. Your bones are actually children of your model. The null that has the bones...replace that with your object. Also scaling things up isn't the way to go. You wanna adjust the rest length of the bones to fit your model.

Rebelhill has a bunch of videos about the basic concepts of rigging in LightWave that need to be adhered to. You can find his stuff on Youtube.

I can look at your files when I get to a computer. Though posting the model that you had to buy is probably a no-no.

sandman300
08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
I think your troubles started from scaling the null. You can replace the null with the character (under the items tab). And the higharchy for the bones is not all connected together.
I messed around with it a bit, I did a save transformed on the character to bring it back in without having to scale it. I also had to reposition the bones and fix the higharchy to get it to work but it does.

digitalimagery
08-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I think your troubles started from scaling the null. You can replace the null with the character (under the items tab). And the higharchy for the bones is not all connected together.
I messed around with it a bit, I did a save transformed on the character to bring it back in without having to scale it. I also had to reposition the bones and fix the higharchy to get it to work but it does.

Wow that was fast - Thanks Sandman!
DI