PDA

View Full Version : From Lightwave to Modo and back again

Nicolas Jordan
08-07-2013, 09:36 PM
I originally purchased a educational license of Lightwave 6.0 when it came out back in 1999 and have used it ever since. At the previous company I worked for we used Lightwave for rendering up until about 2009 then we gradually started rendering all of our projects in Modo. I continued to use Lightwave modeler with LWCAD for modeling but had to set up scenes and render in Modo in order to keep our project pipeline consistent so anyone could take over a project if needed. I soon felt out of touch with rendering in Lightwave since I wasn't using it on a daily basis for production work anymore and became more and more comfortable with rendering my projects in Modo.

I'm finally on my own so I can choose to use whatever software I want again. I have been running some production rendering tests over the past couple months with Lightwave 11.5 and now 11.6 pre release and after overcoming a few hurdles and figuring a few things out here and there it looks like I will be using Lightwave as my main rendering program again. Some of the new features in 11.x really helped make this decision a bit easier for me. I also thought since I'm modeling in modeler I might as well be rendering in Layout if it meets my needs. It just makes more sense. I still plan to use Modo when needed for things like painting, sculpting and complex UV editing etc. Now that I'm back up to speed on everything it looks like I will be back in the Lightwave saddle again! :D :lwicon:

spherical
08-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Well, this is good to hear, as I was lamenting missing out on the Modo discount that came along some time ago. Had heard good things about it and, if it wasn't too expensive, might delve in and add it to the arsenal. I've been with LW since 6.5 and have seen some great strides in it recently. Perhaps it's better to go with the known and invest in some plugins and compatible applications that do what LW doesn't, but can, through interchangeability between them.

Nicolas Jordan
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Modo is a great program and it does do some things better than Lightwave but Lightwave also does some things better than Modo. After using Modo for the past 4 years or so I feel I have a pretty good overall undertstanding of setting up scenes and rendering in it. Lightwave is still much more in line with the way I think and seems a bit more straight to the point in many ways.

I don't like all the new changes to Lightwave that have been done recently but many I do like.

-Native instancing

-VPR faster and better than ever

-Color Space presets

-Bullet Dynamics

-New modeling tools in 11.5

-Align to Plane

Dislikes: :mad::bangwall::stumped:

-Global setting for Light and Shading samples

-Light properties and Camera properties nolonger have their own separate floating panels

-Clip Maps not yet supported in the surface editor and referenced by the .obj instead of the scene files. Clip Maps are limited to object basis rather than surface. Modo does this! :)

-RGBA files not yet automatically recognized that I know of. There are work arounds but they should not be necessary. Modo does this! :)

Snosrap
08-08-2013, 12:19 PM
-Light properties and Camera properties nolonger have their own separate floating panels

For some reason this got changed in the 10 cycle. I personally don't mind it but it sure would be nice to have the other option.

Nicolas Jordan
08-08-2013, 12:52 PM
For some reason this got changed in the 10 cycle. I personally don't mind it but it sure would be nice to have the other option.

Yes it would be nice to have it both ways. I personally like to have all my properties panels open on my second monitor so I can see everything at the same time without having to flip back and forth. They should really makes some changes to the UI so that tabs could be torn off and become floating panels on their own if needed.

Phil
08-08-2013, 12:57 PM
-Global setting for Light and Shading samples

I actually like this one. modo has me running hither and yon to set these up and it's somewhat aggravating. I'm still much faster at setting up a clean render in LW than modo, but there's a lot about both applications to like and I'm really happy to have both available to get stuff done.

Digital Hermit
08-09-2013, 02:29 AM
There (LW to Modo) and back again... a hobbyists tale

Although I can tell you are far from being a hobbyist. I could not help myself seeing your avatar. :D

AndyUno1
08-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm finally on my own so I can choose to use whatever software I want again. I have been running some production rendering tests over the past couple months with Lightwave 11.5 and now 11.6 pre release and after overcoming a few hurdles and figuring a few things out here and there it looks like I will be using Lightwave as my main rendering program again. Some of the new features in 11.x really helped make this decision a bit easier for me. I also thought since I'm modeling in modeler I might as well be rendering in Layout if it meets my needs. It just makes more sense. I still plan to use Modo when needed for things like painting, sculpting and complex UV editing etc. Now that I'm back up to speed on everything it looks like I will be back in the Lightwave saddle again! :D :lwicon:

I'm kind of in the same boat. I learned Lightwave 8, but seemed to stray to Cinema 4D and modo, but upgraded to 11.5 during the Siggraph special. I am finding that although a lot of people elsewhere complain about Modeler, I am really liking it. Now I just have to get back to grips with Layout and figure out how to animate in it again.