PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #228 - Pixar

Jamesxx
08-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #228 - Pixar

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: Pixar

I want you to model a pixar character from one of their full length movies or from a short. So let the Pixar family come together .... :boogiedow

Modeling time: Giving 120 mins for this one for those who want to try a bit more complex character

Deadline: Wednesday, August 14th, 2013, 22:00 G.M.T

P.S. What would you think about the winner of the challenge always doing a little tutorial (written or video) of their model for the next week. I think this could be interesting as we could see a lot of different techniques and people could improve their skills. Tell me what you think about it:question:

Iain
08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
P.S. What would you think about the winner of the challenge always doing a little tutorial (written or video) of their model for the next week. I think this could be interesting as we could see a lot of different techniques and people could improve their skills. Tell me what you think about it:question:

Good subject James!

I think a lot of the winners (and entrants) do post tuts and videos but some just don't have the time or confidence.
I usually don't even have time to enter never mind anything else these days. I don't think we should impose a 'condition,' if you like, just in case the pressure puts people off.

Just my opinion :)

Jamesxx
08-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Yeah you are totally right. But maybe we could ad a note like: " If you, winner of the challenge, like to show us how you did your model, a tutorial would be much appreciated, but of course it's not a must". Something like that so that people can do how they like ;)

Kuzey
08-08-2013, 03:51 AM
I occasionally record my modelling sessions..the gas mask one will be up today or tomorrow..if you want to see how not to model :)

Waves of light
08-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Great subject. Will have to have a go at this one.

Pantagrool
08-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I've been out of the forums for a few years, so just for clarification: Is ZBrush considered a '3rd party plug-in'? I'm guessing 'No,' but just thought I'd ask. Anyway, yeah, great challenge! Curious to see what all you folks come up with.

Kryslin
08-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Got an idea, I'll give this one a go (despite rather lack luster character modeling skills). May have to watch a movie again to see how the character's hands work, though.

Jamesxx
08-09-2013, 01:06 AM
I've been out of the forums for a few years, so just for clarification: Is ZBrush considered a '3rd party plug-in'? I'm guessing 'No,' but just thought I'd ask. Anyway, yeah, great challenge! Curious to see what all you folks come up with.
I think itīs ok to use it for texturing but not for modeling ;)

pinkmouse
08-09-2013, 10:27 AM
I really can't get the hang of this soft body stuff...

Over two hours wasted when I could have been (virtually ;) ) blowing something up. Dunno how you folks do it. Still, being a sucker for punishment, I may have a another try at Wheezy later, so please don't anyone else have a go or I'll feel really, really , useless in comparison. :D

hrgiger
08-09-2013, 01:42 PM
How could I not enter a Pixar speed model? Here is one of my favorite characters Bruce from Finding Nemo. Just under 2 hours for modeling. The fins are crap, pretty much just extruded and shaped the best I could I would have wanted to change the poly flow for those. Also I didn't get to shape the eye area as much as I wanted to and the mouth and teeth could use some work but overall for 2 hours, I'm pretty happy with it.

Kuzey
08-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Super nice!

Lewis
08-09-2013, 01:56 PM
That's excellent mesh Steve and polygons well spent :).

hrgiger
08-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. I wanted to add some underwater mines around him, I thought that would look awesome but not enough time.

Ryste3d
08-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Nice Shark

Matt
08-09-2013, 02:38 PM
How could I not enter a Pixar speed model? Here is one of my favorite characters Bruce from Finding Nemo. Just under 2 hours for modeling. The fins are crap, pretty much just extruded and shaped the best I could I would have wanted to change the poly flow for those. Also I didn't get to shape the eye area as much as I wanted to and the mouth and teeth could use some work but overall for 2 hours, I'm pretty happy with it.

Really cool!

Waves of light
08-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Lol. One of your favourite characters too! Nemo was the first film I took my eldest boy to see at the cinema, it is one of our favourites and he will still sit down and watch it with me (he's nearly 11, lol).

For me, this time, the mesh was so frustrating... I don't know if it was because I was trying to fit it in between client work, I was tired, not paying attention or what, but I could not get the polys to work for me. Ended up being 3hrs of modelling, which I am not happy about as that is not a difficult character. I need to learn to stop zooming in and out all the time and just get on with a base mesh and look at the detail later. All started from octagon.

Steve, what did you do to avoid 5 point pinching around the edge loop for the fins?

Oh well, on with the next one.

Here's some nice hi res reference images if you need them for texturing -
http://www.pixarblog.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/finding_nemo_3d_bruce1.jpg
http://www.pixarblog.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/finding_nemo_3d_sharks.jpg

And some wires (animated gif) and a render -

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116264&d=1376081038

hrgiger
08-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Steve, what did you do to avoid 5 point pinching around the edge loop for the fins?

Usually what I will do is create a secondary loop before the mesh changes trajectory so that its on a flatter surface to avoid pinching. So basically I make sure my polygons 'surround' the area I want the fins to be extruded from. Then I create a loop within that area, then pull another loop out still on the flat surface, THEN I start to extrude the fins. Just try to keep your stars on the flattest area as possible without a lot of curvature or direction change.

I started Bruce with the mouth to make sure to put the good poly flow around the mouth so I could get the smile lines in. Then it was just a matter of creating a loop for the eye, creating the ridge above the eyes then patching in between. Then it was just a matter of extruding my edges backwards to the tail. Went pretty quick actually. The worst part for me was the mouth. I made a mess and probably spent 20 minutes cleaning the inside of the mouth the way I wanted it (and its still not there but good enough). I modeled a single tooth and then just copied and pasted it around one side of the mouth then mirrored that over to the other side.

I also ran into a bit of timesuck while I made the conversion to higher density near the face to lower density at the tail. Normally, not a problem but I didn't really consider it ahead of time since it was a speed job. Thanks for the images, that second one I actually used for a side profile while modeling.

Waves of light
08-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Usually what I will do is create a secondary loop before the mesh changes trajectory so that its on a flatter surface to avoid pinching. So basically I make sure my polygons 'surround' the area I want the fins to be extruded from. Then I create a loop within that area, then pull another loop out still on the flat surface, THEN I start to extrude the fins. Just try to keep your stars on the flattest area as possible without a lot of curvature or direction change.

I started Bruce with the mouth to make sure to put the good poly flow around the mouth so I could get the smile lines in. Then it was just a matter of creating a loop for the eye, creating the ridge above the eyes then patching in between. Then it was just a matter of extruding my edges backwards to the tail. Went pretty quick actually. The worst part for me was the mouth. I made a mess and probably spent 20 minutes cleaning the inside of the mouth the way I wanted it (and its still not there but good enough). I modeled a single tooth and then just copied and pasted it around one side of the mouth then mirrored that over to the other side.

I should have started with the mouth, but I was sort of directed by one of the images I linked to in the previous post, which is a side view shot from Pixar. So I thought more about length and fin placement, by which point I got to the mouth and the trouble started. I was going to use PlaceMesh for the teeth and then attempt to model the eye socket, but I gave up after I saw the timer! I will keep it, as I can always stick it into 3DCoat as a base mesh and voxel sculpt and texture a better version.

Thanks for the tips on the pinching. Are you going to texture him?

hrgiger
08-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Not sure, I might try to paint him up in Zbrush, its just a matter of if I will have time. BTW, I added more to my previous post.

Jamesxx
08-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Already some really good stuff ;) findig nemo seems to dominate. I wanted to try nemo maybe ;)

XswampyX
08-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Buttercup.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ButterCup_zps46e6136a.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/xXswampyXx/media/ButterCup_zps46e6136a.jpg.html)

Kryslin
08-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Coming in @ 120 minutes... EVE!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc227-EVE-colors_zps88520b12.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc227-EVE-colors_zps88520b12.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc227-EVE-wires_zpsd8639731.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc227-EVE-wires_zpsd8639731.jpg.html)

Nothing fancy here... mostly slice, saw, multishift and extrude... and some help from LWCAD's line tool (for fancy, precise slicing...)

Kuzey
08-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Which one to do..which one to dooooooooo :P

Great work guys!

Waves of light
08-10-2013, 03:53 AM
Great entries. Can't wait to see what you come up with Kuzey - timelapse again?

Samoht VII
08-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Don't forget about the mascot!
Modelling about 30-40 mins, texturing and lights bout another 30-40.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/SamohtVII/Pixar_zps409d5539.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/SamohtVII/media/Pixar_zps409d5539.jpg.html)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/SamohtVII/Pixar2_zpsc0df3aaa.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/SamohtVII/media/Pixar2_zpsc0df3aaa.jpg.html)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/SamohtVII/PxarWireframe_zps8cbbea32.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/SamohtVII/media/PxarWireframe_zps8cbbea32.jpg.html)

Pantagrool
08-11-2013, 07:03 PM
For Pinkmouse:

One quick thing I noticed is that you modeled the bow-tie as part of the main mesh. At this stage in your modeling career, I'd suggest you have that as a separate mesh. (That would also extend to his beak, feet, and [future] eyes.) That way you don't have to wrestle with control loops and wonky polygonal flow -- especially during a time-limited challenge!

pinkmouse
08-12-2013, 02:32 AM
Now where's the fun in that! ?:D

I think it's a mindset problem. I've got a good grip on hard surface modelling, though perhaps I'm a little slower than an expert, but those techniques don't seem to help much with soft body work. I suspect I need to start again from scratch, and ignore everything I've learnt. Then once I've got the hang of soft body, I can go back and combine the two systems into a fully rounded technique. I'll probably hit Youtube this morning for some tutorial stuff, then have another go later today.

Kuzey
08-12-2013, 04:58 AM
I'm so hoping this challenge gets a one week extension :)

I backed up my HD without saving my LW menu setup & now all that work is gone...grrr

Jamesxx
08-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Can the contest also last longer then 1 week? Didn't know about that. If you want I can also extend it to 2 weeks ;)

Kuzey
08-12-2013, 08:04 AM
If more people want an extension then it might be a good idea...otherwise..I'll see if I can take part in the next one :)

Waves of light
08-12-2013, 08:09 AM
I'll be setting up the new one on Weds, but if people want a one week extension for this one, I'm happy to wait another week.

Kuzey
08-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Na don't worry about, go ahead and start a new challenge :)

Jamesxx
08-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Ok ;) so I donīt extend it?

Pantagrool
08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
I vote for not extending it. 10 days for a two-hour model kinda takes the air out of the word 'challenge.'

Pantagrool
08-13-2013, 05:25 AM

Here's my entry from one of my favorite films, which just happens to also be a Pixar production -- John "Jack-Jack" Jackson Parr from The Incredibles.

The screen grab is from 'Jack-Jack Attack." It was the only reference I could find of a side view.

I haven't box modeled a head for many moons. I flirted with the idea of doing a spline cage, but also, the moon factor came into play. I feel kinda silly because I was using the drag tool the whole time, yearning for some kind of tool like it but with a falloff. Only after my time was out that I sorta had a "D'uh -- LW has been around forever -- of course they have a tool like that" and sheepishly hit 'n' with the drag tool active and saw my beloved radial falloff.

But as JoePoe told me recently: "Practice is practice."

ANS
08-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Incredible baby, Pantagrool :)
And here come Mike Wazowski.
I made him 2 times, third one looks similiar to orginal one... :)

And it took little more than 2 hours ;/

Slartibartfast
08-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Good models you all! Here is mine..
Modelling 1h 45m minus answering some phone-calls :-). They were probably thinking I didn't pay attention. They were right :-D

Waves of light
08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Great additional entries guys and girls.

Well, my second attempt...

M-O from Wall-E

I was doing really well with the modeling on this one. I'd got lots of pics and done my research before jumping into modeling e.g. best places for edges, loops, polyflow, what can be mirrored, other time savers, etc. But in the end it still took 2hrs 52 mins to complete and that was mainly down to the bristles for his cleaning roller. I made one bristle, then extended, then bunched 7 together in a hex-like package, then punched 7 of those together and then another 7. Then array and then copy, paste around the roller. Problem was, my machine was taking ages to do the copy and paste that I went well over time (too much geometry and probably overkill to be honest). Seen as I was over time, I thought I would go back and add in some extra detail too.

I have to say though, that LW11.6 did not crash on me one single time throughout the whole modeling session. It really feels more stable than previously releases.

So, wires (and a close up of the bristles):

Renders (front, side and rear):

Scene Render:

JoePoe
08-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Very excellent and terrific this week so far!!

I think I've decided on a subject.... gonna be a stretch. :goodluck:

Oh, and Slartibartfast, I hope you're staying safe from the Pacu fish!! :oye: :ohmy:

PixelDust
08-13-2013, 09:03 PM
OK, I'm giving this a shot! Here's my attempt at modeling Edna Mode from the Incredibles. It came in at just under two hours for modeling, and another 45 minutes or so for texturing.

I wish I could have done more, but I'm a bit rusty at modeling in Lightwave, and I was trying to learn the new modeling tools in 11.5 at the same time. Oh well, it was good practice!

Waves of light
08-14-2013, 01:23 AM
PixelDust, that's so cool. I haven't had any coffee this morning and misread your post as 'modeling in 45 mins', I was about to pack up my stuff and sell it all on ebay! Nice edge loops and polyflow.

Kuzey
08-14-2013, 02:21 AM
Wow...awesome stuff by everyone!!

OnlineRender
08-14-2013, 02:34 AM
I done the base mesh in LightWave does that count :) ended up taking him to ZBrush ended up becomming a WIP ...post wires later on different PC

Yee yee I know the rules I wanted you to know what you had started :) damn you all

Waves of light
08-14-2013, 03:33 AM
I done the base mesh in LightWave does that count :) ended up taking him to ZBrush ended up becomming a WIP ...post wires later on different PC

Yee yee I know the rules I wanted you to know what you had started :) damn you all

I love the expression. Is it morphed or is that the base pose Steven? I was never any good at eyes, any tips or tuts on get them to look correct and morph around an eyeball?

OnlineRender
08-14-2013, 04:07 AM
it's actually a recorded layer in ZB , so yeah its a morph from the base mesh,he looks even better now with the pixar eye texturing ...as for tips Hmmm it really is all eyeball work "get it EYEBALL" phaw Im killing myself here

bazsa73
08-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Hi folks!
amazing stuff you have here! I never contributed to this competition, but I couldn't miss this. :)
Here we go...

Jamesxx
08-14-2013, 08:08 AM
116369116370 lots of great entries so far ;) here is what i did: Pearl from finding nemo. modeling a little over an hour.

hrgiger
08-14-2013, 08:59 AM
nice entries everyone.

Waves of light
08-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Whilst Jamesxx has the horrible task of picking through all the excellent entries and selecting a winner, the next challenge awaits you:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?137094-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-229-Futuristic-Travel-and-Transportation

Iain
08-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Really good quality level folks.
Well done all-I really can't do organic modelling but I would like to have entered. I always think Pixar models are a great example of less is more.

JoePoe
08-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Really good quality level folks.
Well done all-I really can't do organic modelling but I would like to have entered. I always think Pixar models are a great example of less is more.

Oh..... LESS is more. :foreheads :D

My Directive (:hey:) should be to model faster. Past deadline and @ 2hr ... Still needs a pile of dirt the flippin' plant.

Jamesxx
08-15-2013, 12:35 AM
here we go,

pinkmouse: Wheezy (Toy Story) - I like the model, but next time maybetry to model the bow tie on another layer
hrgiger: Bruce (Finding Nemo) - Nice model, nice wires, nice polyflow. The only thing I could critizise is the fact that there are no textures.
Waves of light: Bruce (Finding Nemo) - nice model. But also here, missing textures and details (teeth and eyes)
M-O (Wall-e) - he looks perfect, very close to the original one. but overtime :/
XswampyX: Buttercup (Toy Story) - lovely subpatchmodel. I like the nostrils
Kryslin: Eve (Wall-e) - good modeling, simple but good ;)
Samoth VII: Luxo Jr (Pixar) - I like him. Did the same model two weeks a go for antoher challenge: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136689-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-226-Light-It-Up/page2&highlight=speed+modeling But maybe you could have added some more details as you still had a lot of time ;)
Pantagrool: Jack jack (The Incredibles) - lovely character and good modeling
ANS: Mike Wazowski (Monster Inc.) - He looks really nice. but unfortunately its overtime :/
Slartibartfast: Wall-e (Wall-e) - great details on the "wheels" an on the head.
Edna Mode (the Incredibles) - cool model. I like the way she looks into the camera :P
OnlineRender: nice model, but from which movie is this guy?
Bazsa73: Kevin (Up) - really cool model and well textured
JoePoe: Nice Shoe, but from which movie?

So in the end, lots of great entries and it was really a difficult task to select a winner ( yeah waves of light it was really difficult ;) ) but I decided to choose hrgiger. Congratulations. The model looks so amazing even tough itīs not textured but I hope to see it once in the future ;) If wish I could model that good.

Waves of light
08-15-2013, 01:53 AM
Well done everyone. Great subject Jamesxx and congrats to Steve for Bruce. Your approach to polyflow and starting position nailed the look.

hrgiger
08-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks James, I appreciate that. I'm more of a modeler then a texture artist but I will do my best for the next entry. I did try to add the ambiance of water into the wireframe render but I know that doesn't count.

I have a question about the challenge in general. Do I pick the subject next week? I won the challenge a few weeks back for the flower challenge and so I assumed I was supposed to start the next one so I did. But then XSwampy won the next one but then I never saw him starta challenge. Just wasn't sure how it was working...

Waves of light
08-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Hi, you're up next week, as they are staggered a week behind. So when my challenge 229 is up on the 21st you start yours.

OnlineRender
08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
well done Steve .... re yeah sorry the character was just made up in my head I finished him today ...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999583_658513440839671_1930881797_n.jpg