PDA

View Full Version : Attention archvis guys - the ray cast node is your friend.

Snosrap
08-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I've been messing around with the new ray cast node in 11.6 and I have discovered that it is very handy for placing items from my vast library of decorative home accessories onto tables and other furniture. I sure hate those floating accessories and this does the trick.

jameswillmott
08-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Should be handy for placing plants in landscaped areas too.

Nicolas Jordan
08-06-2013, 11:09 PM
I will have to investigate that since I'm in the process of doing some production tests for having Lightwave do most of my rendering again.

geo_n
08-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Raycast node is pretty awesome. Many pracital uses.

Lewis
08-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Yes it's handy but be sure you don't use it too often and then wonder why did scene slowdown :). But good work DEVs, thanks.

OlaHaldor
08-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Sounds interesting. However, I can't get Raycaster to work at all. Even the simple ground plane and sphere as demoed by Deuce at Siggraph isn't working for me. Yet the demo scenes work.

Waves of light
08-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Sounds interesting. However, I can't get Raycaster to work at all. Even the simple ground plane and sphere as demoed by Deuce at Siggraph isn't working for me. Yet the demo scenes work.

Make sure you move your geometry high above the plane before using the node. I found that if it was too close it didn't work correctly (some of the geometry was under the plane). Make sure your geometry is F3'd in Modeler (so lowest point is at 0,0,0) that helped me too.

OlaHaldor
08-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Yep, all is correct.

I loaded the camshaft demo scene that comes with the new 11.6 content. Works fine! And I see no magic stuff going on except for the Raycast node.
I clear the scene, load the camshaft object and apply Raycast, exactly how it was done in the demo scene. All is dead. Nothing happens.

khan973
08-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Are you sure you're using 11.6? clean install?

Lewis
08-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Yep, all is correct.

I loaded the camshaft demo scene that comes with the new 11.6 content. Works fine! And I see no magic stuff going on except for the Raycast node.
I clear the scene, load the camshaft object and apply Raycast, exactly how it was done in the demo scene. All is dead. Nothing happens.

Did you Doubleclicked on raycast node and told it which object to raycast to ?

OlaHaldor
08-07-2013, 02:25 AM
I recorded a video just to be clear what I'm doing (and perhaps should be doing instead).
Clean install. Absolutely positive it's 11.6, as you can see in the title bar on the video.
It's still being processed, so it should be available in 1080p soon if you can't stand 720p.

As you can see, the demo scene works without a problem. Even with other objects than the one's that came with the demo scene. (Why shouldn't it, right?)
However, going with a clean scene - no matter what object or how I set things up, nothing happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZwhz0SJng

Perhaps a mod could split this topic and create a new one for my issues. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Snosrap!

BeeVee
08-07-2013, 02:49 AM
Try just connecting the Ray Cast node to the NodalMotion Position input. Double click on the RayCast node to set the object to raycast to, but don't connect the Input node.

B

OlaHaldor
08-07-2013, 03:33 AM
I tried that prior to recording. Didn't change a thing.
LW crashed on me, and I got it working on one scene, but not on the second. Is it recommended to restart LW between scenes with Raycast?

jameswillmott
08-07-2013, 05:43 AM
I tried that prior to recording. Didn't change a thing.
LW crashed on me, and I got it working on one scene, but not on the second. Is it recommended to restart LW between scenes with Raycast?

You may have a slightly older version that had some persistent data between sessions, that's been fixed already so the next update you get should be fine...

I recorded a video just to be clear what I'm doing (and perhaps should be doing instead).
Clean install. Absolutely positive it's 11.6, as you can see in the title bar on the video.
It's still being processed, so it should be available in 1080p soon if you can't stand 720p.

As you can see, the demo scene works without a problem. Even with other objects than the one's that came with the demo scene. (Why shouldn't it, right?)
However, going with a clean scene - no matter what object or how I set things up, nothing happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZwhz0SJng

Perhaps a mod could split this topic and create a new one for my issues. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Snosrap!

As Ben says, don't connect the Input node's position up to the Raycast origin, the position is always in local space and usually you want to raycast in world space. The node is smart enough to figure out that you want to cast from the origin in the context of modifying motion.

Not sure why it isn't working , if you save your scene and reload, does it work then?

Snosrap
08-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Is it recommended to restart LW between scenes with Raycast? Yep, I noticed that as well. Seems kind of crashy too.

prometheus
08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Havent tested raycast node to much, think it could be improved a lot workflow wise, modo simply drag and drop items on to objects etc seems way much easier to work with.

Snosrap
08-07-2013, 07:33 PM
modo simply drag and drop items on to objects etc seems way much easier to work with. Yes that is nice, but if I'm not mistaken I believe it only works with items in the presets.

prometheus
08-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Yes that is nice, but if I'm not mistaken I believe it only works with items in the presets.

Yes..that might be, then again...that is another feature we need, object presets..drag and drop your lamps on the table, your painting on the wall , your house plant next to the window etc, and for exterior work..drag and drop
trees on the terrain etc, Im a little puzzled that such things hasnīt arrived into the lightwave workflow yet after all these years, Itīs some of those things I think should have been payed attention too much earlier.

though I would say that the First step is to get object presets above all, with thumbs and drag and drop, the exact environment awareness is secondary.

Raycast node is more developed for moving object and environment awareness, where a simple drag and drop on to object tool would be nice to have too of course.

Michael

Snosrap
08-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Yes..that might be, then again...that is another feature we need, object presets..drag and drop your lamps on the table, your painting on the wall , your house plant next to the window etc, and for exterior work..drag and drop
trees on the terrain etc, Im a little puzzled that such things hasnīt arrived into the lightwave workflow yet after all these years, Itīs some of those things I think should have been payed attention too much earlier.

Michael I find managing and creating presets in modo a PITA, so therefore I don't mess with it. I would prefer something more along the lines of the Mini-Bridge like in PS CS6 where it just looks at the real files in your HD and drag and drop out of that. The way it is in modo and LW when you load or import objects they just get placed at 0,0,0 but if you could drag and drop from within the app I think LW could behave in much the same manner as modo does with presets. As it is I currently drag and drop images and 3D files from Mootools 3D Browser to LW and modo.

prometheus
08-07-2013, 10:07 PM
I find managing and creating presets in modo a PITA, so therefore I don't mess with it. I would prefer something more along the lines of the Mini-Bridge like in PS CS6 where it just looks at the real files in your HD and drag and drop out of that. The way it is in modo and LW when you load or import objects they just get placed at 0,0,0 but if you could drag and drop from within the app I think LW could behave in much the same manner as modo does with presets. As it is I currently drag and drop images and 3D files from Mootools 3D Browser to LW and modo.

yeah ..that might be, and I cant put modo up on a piedestal either, since I actually donīt use it, and as you say a PITA, they of course do somethings poor too in the middle of all the sweetness.
Im not fond of secondary apps like mootools 3d browser for managing what could be in object presets, they need to do it right though, whatīs important here isnīt a 3d preset object system for modeler, it should reside
in Layout, imagine having a visual feedback instantly when you open your object preset panel, go to trees and can instantly select exactly what you want, and the same for rocks etc, signs, cars etc...it really will be a huge
difference comparing to browse filewise and recalling the name and folders etc.
Vue does that quite well, except for some library structuring in default settings that could be structured better.

Michael

Snosrap
08-07-2013, 10:25 PM
imagine having a visual feedback instantly when you open your object preset panel, go to trees and can instantly select exactly what you want, and the same for rocks etc, signs, cars etc...it really will be a huge difference comparing to browse filewise and recalling the name and folders etc.
Michael Absolutely! Hopefully with steady growth with their team they can put some people on these types of workflow enhancements for future versions.

OlaHaldor
08-08-2013, 02:34 AM
You may have a slightly older version that had some persistent data between sessions, that's been fixed already so the next update you get should be fine...

I don't know if the download have been updated. I downloaded once I noticed the buzz on the forum. The version is Ver 11.6 Build 2706 22-Jul-2013

As Ben says, don't connect the Input node's position up to the Raycast origin, the position is always in local space and usually you want to raycast in world space. The node is smart enough to figure out that you want to cast from the origin in the context of modifying motion.
Not sure why it isn't working , if you save your scene and reload, does it work then?
I just did the exact as Deuce did in the demo, and just what is shown in the demo scenes, so I thought it had to be done that way. :)