PDA

View Full Version : DV input Problems with VT3

Matlock
11-12-2003, 12:44 PM
I am trying to use a Cannon XL-1 with my VT3 system. Windows XP will recognize the camera and allow me to use deck control with Windows Movie Maker, but the VT3 software doesn't seem to see it. Any sugestions?

Jim Capillo
11-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Define a bit more what you have done so far. Have you clicked on "add deck" with the camera on and hooked up?

You might also try doing an autoconfig again after hooking up and turning on the camera.

Sees my DVX-100 here just fine.

Matlock
11-12-2003, 01:09 PM
So far I have not done much. From what I can read it is just supposed to work. I have plugged the cam in and see that Windows XP recognizes it. I then go into the VT3 software and click on deck control. From there I click to add a new deck. In that menu I have selected DV and Other as my type and right click on deck is connected to. When that list comes up my camera is not in the list. I have never hooked a DV cam. up to a VT before so there is probably something obvious that I am missing. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ian Austen
11-12-2003, 02:21 PM
it should be listed as an available deck called "newdv" toaster does not seem to see it as anything else but you can rename it to to say XL1

if you do not see "newDV" listed try exiting VT3 and run the auto configure in your VT3 folders under utilities

if your camera is on and connected by firewire it should see it and add it to tosters presets

the go back into VT3 and use "newDV" as your controll

Matlock
11-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I did find auto configure and ran it while my dv camera was on and plugged in. I still do not see anything listed newdv. Any other suggestions?

Ian Austen
11-12-2003, 02:44 PM
this may seem a silly question , but do you have the xl1 set to vcr

Matlock
11-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Yes I do. But thanks for checking the silly. My guess is that I am making some silly mistake. My current however stupid workaround is to simply capture my video in Windows movie maker and then do my edit in VT3. This obviously is very annoying, but does tell me that the camera is hooked up to the computer ok.

SBowie
11-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Matlock
Yes I do. But thanks for checking the silly. My guess is that I am making some silly mistake. My current however stupid workaround is to simply capture my video in Windows movie maker and then do my edit in VT3. This obviously is very annoying, but does tell me that the camera is hooked up to the computer ok. I would be willing to lay reasonable odds your problem is because you do not have DirectX9.0b installed.

Ian Austen
11-12-2003, 03:04 PM
i just hooked up my xl1 and it works fine in toaster, i normally edit from my sony deck but just to be sure i tried it with xl1 and it found it no porblem, which illuminates the camera/deck as the problem. are you using the current patch

what is listed in your camera presets , is there anything else besides "none" & "add new Deck"

Jim Capillo
11-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Try this..... I'm not at the computer, so this might not be totally correct.

Keep camera connected and on

Open Batch Capture

Look for the deck controls, as I remember, there is a little "S" you click on to expand. You might have to poke around there, though (it's been awhile since I did it).

After you've expanded the controls, you should see a button named "Add deck" - somewhere in there is another button for "DV deck" or something like that. You can then name the setup.

Once you've set that stuff up you should be able to control the camera from the keyboard. I know it's not automatic (other than the possibility of the autoconfig detection). Don't give up..... it does work.:)

Matlock
11-12-2003, 03:18 PM
I just want to thank all three of you for you time and effort on this problem. Steve, you answer did the trick. As soon as I installed the newest verion of Direct X the VT software saw the camera and I'm able to use it just fine. Thanks

Ian Austen
11-12-2003, 03:31 PM
now you can spend your time more productivly
Happy editing

Jim Capillo
11-12-2003, 06:46 PM
:) Write that one down for the FAQ's !

Good job, Steve :cool:

Paul Lara
11-13-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Jim Capillo
:) Write that one down for the FAQ's !