PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer with profile

Stik
08-06-2013, 06:36 AM
How would you Chamfer edge with vector profiles that I have...for example countertop edges....

Nicolas Jordan
08-06-2013, 06:50 AM
I would highly recommend LWCAD for that kind of work. There might be some free plugins out there that might help but I'm not aware of any since my go to solution has always been LWCAD.

prometheus
08-06-2013, 07:43 AM
I donīt think thereīs a native tool to work with that and edges inside of Lightwave, Lw-cad as mentioned would be great for it.

if you work in polygon mode you have rail bevel, but in such case you can only select top face or single face polygons and bevel that down or up with a spline curve profile in a background layer.
You also have jettobevel plugin...check erikals video there.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/jettobevel/

Stik
08-06-2013, 08:25 AM
I would highly recommend LWCAD for that kind of work. There might be some free plugins out there that might help but I'm not aware of any since my go to solution has always been LWCAD.

Rail bevel works but really limited.... cant tweak anything and more work arounds...so LWCAD it is...thanks

JoePoe
08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
LWCAD is certainly the best option....

But, in a pinch PX_Bezier can get you there (with just a little hand work)

PX can extrude any profile u want with real time Bezier handle control points (even has twist and taper controls).
I'm not sure how it would do in a corner (away from computer...can't test), but that's where the hand work would come in. Get ur profile extruded and just rotate/stretch the end points to the corner angle you need. Copy paste ur extrusion. Or, if it's a uniquely shaped edge of the table, create the next extruded segment.

prometheus
08-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Rail bevel works but really limited.... cant tweak anything and more work arounds...so LWCAD it is...thanks

one thing that you might need to note...I donīt think edge selection and editing of those is that well supported with Lw cad, engraver is probably what you need to perform such profiles, and it works only on polys.
I think the same goes for rounder that doesnīt work on selected edges, it can perform it on poly basis though.

- - - Updated - - -

LWCAD is certainly the best option....

But, in a pinch PX_Bezier can get you there (with just a little hand work)

PX can extrude any profile u want with real time Bezier handle control points (even has twist and taper controls).
I'm not sure how it would do in a corner (away from computer...can't test), but that's where the hand work would come in. Get ur profile extruded and just rotate/stretch the end points to the corner angle you need. Copy paste ur extrusion. Or, if it's a uniquely shaped edge of the table, create the next extruded segment.

for extrusions and pipes yes, but I donīt think its an option for edge chamfer or edge bevels on object corners, In fact you cant profile chamfer edges with px_bezier nor with Lw-cad.

dwburman
08-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Again, it doesn't work on edges, but Bevel++ (http://www.softgeometry.jp/lightwave/lightwave3d/bevelpp/) has this as a feature as well as the ability to get rid of points so they don't overlap in tight corners.

I used this feature just yesterday in 11.5.1.

hrgiger
08-06-2013, 09:57 AM
yup, countertop edges was one of the new set of profiles i put in my presets for LWCAD this last time around. its interactive, you can control the density of the curves, and you can create your own cutom shapes for profiles. LWCAD is a must have IMHO.

Stik
08-06-2013, 11:20 AM
yup, countertop edges was one of the new set of profiles i put in my presets for LWCAD this last time around. its interactive, you can control the density of the curves, and you can create your own cutom shapes for profiles. LWCAD is a must have IMHO.

Looks like engraver is the answer...thanks to all...I would use Bevel++...but its PC only

zardoz
08-06-2013, 12:34 PM
well like everybody said Lwcad is the way to go, but I guess pictrix might have something for this

Snosrap
08-06-2013, 07:30 PM
How would you Chamfer edge with vector profiles that I have...for example countertop edges.... LWCad is really your only choice. No other tool or plug-in for LW will allow you to make complete libraries of existing profiles. Profile presets can be made from existing DXF's that are available from various vendors or custom made from within LWCad or AutoCad and similar cad applications. In the screen shot attached you can see a small sample of the hundreds of LWCad presets that I have brought into LW from my companies' CAD files. And yes, you can also bring in EPS files and convert them to LWCad presets. If you do a lot of archvis work or woodworking of any kind (furniture etc.) LWCad is indispensable.