PDA

View Full Version : Can't use delete key in panels..Grrrrrrrr

Kuzey
08-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Ok...who ever made this design change should be pickled..or tickled or something else :P

In LW9.6 if you use the delete key on any values in any panel...it would...you know...get deleted. It was very efficient, if you wanted a value to be zero you'd just delete the current value and off you go, not even think about it.

Now, it just retains the previous state...what in the world..grrrrrr!

raw-m
08-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I work on a Mac, what the Delete keys defaults to in LW is a total PITA, so I feel your pain! It maps to ploy mode in Modeler, for instance. In the Node Editor it isn't mapped to anything so if you're on a keyboard without the full set of keys (with num keypad etc) you have to delete via the menu drop downs as you can't custom change the keys. I work on my laptop sometimes and it drives me crazy!

To delete a key frame in Layout, I have to manually set the keyboard shortcuts, Grrrrrrrr +1.

khan973
08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
+1 It's been a while, I realized that in 10.0 if I remember.
Back then I was Using return key to set to Zero.
Now I have to admit that it takes much more time now.

VIDandCGI
08-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Don't use a mac as much as i've used PC's but would the>> fn+backspace <<keys pressed together perform the function required.

raw-m
08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Sorry to Hijack Kuzey. VIDandCGI - you're my hero!! Just tried it and it works! Never seen this documented before so very happy right now :D

Kuzey's gripe still stands, however!

Kuzey
08-05-2013, 12:14 PM
VIDandCGI

Should've known there was a work around, even though it not as useful as the original...those keys are far too apart on a laptop.

Double..Grrrrr :P

Update: "command X" key combo, also deletes in LW9.6...but noooooooooooooooooot in LW11.6!

Triple...Grrrrrr :P

dwburman
08-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Yup. Windows PCs have separate backspace and delete keys. Macs only have keys labeled Delete. If you have a Mac with and extended keyboard with two keys labeled delete, the one that is part of the main keyboard functions as a backspace key (deletes characters to the left of the cursor) and the one above the arrow keys (not sure what modern mac keyboard layouts are) functions as a delete key (deletes characters to the right of the cursor). So there are two different operations on keys that are labeled the same way. To be fair, the 'extra' delete key on my macPro keyboard has a little picture beneath it to indicate that it deletes stuff to the right of it.

This doesn't explain why things have changed between versions unless it has something to do with having to port the Mac version to Cocoa when Apple decided it couldn't keep the old framework with 64-bit software, but I vaguely recall there being a 64-bit version of 9.6 for the mac... (9.6.1?) I don't know. It was a while ago.

Kuzey
08-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I have a Mac laptop, so there's only one delete key, but that doesn't explain why "Command x" (the universal Mac delete/cut key combo) doesn't work as well...I call it a bug.

Tried LW11.6 in both 32 & 64bit mode and it doesn't work, while it works in both 32/64bit LW9.6.

Could be that someone forgot to test this stuff on laptops :)

Kuzey
08-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Ok..I did a little investigation & noticed "remove" was mapped to the delete key, changed it "delete" and it still didn't work.

BUT:

If you use any non alphanumeric keys like the following(which is all of them) ": /,.?><:;'"[]{}\|[email protected]#$%^&*()" they all act as if you pressed the delete key in LW9.6...go figure :)

There is something wrong on the Mac side...Grrrrrrr!

BeeVee
08-05-2013, 04:19 PM
First Ctrl (or Command) x is not delete, it is Cut. Second, the Backspace command on old mainframes was Ctrl H and Windows used the same but mapped it to the Delete key. It explains nerd humour such as "My pointy-hai^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hboss decided to stall the project." Apple decided to only include Backspace on their keyboards for some reason, which is why there has always been a problem, an Cmd-BackSpace has always been the way to get Delete. :)

B
PS. Oh yeah and the reason that the Delete key is mapped to remove is that Remove will delete edges too, which Delete doesn't.

Kuzey
08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
I did say "delete/cut"..if you cut & then don't paste..then it's pretty much delete..in my book :)

What about all the non alphanumeric keys acting like delete..it's all strange if you ask me. Also, why have it work in LW9.6 & not LW11.6.

BeeVee
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but it's not - Cutting a keyframe to be able to paste it elsewhere would be odd, even if you didn't. As for deleting the values, when you make a field active double click in it and the text in there will be selected and you can just hit 0?

As for the non-alpha numeric keys, how are you accessing them? Like the lack of a Delete key, Apple do odd things... ;)

B

Kuzey
08-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Yeah, but it's not - Cutting a keyframe to be able to paste it elsewhere would be odd, even if you didn't. As for deleting the values, when you make a field active double click in it and the text in there will be selected and you can just hit 0?

As for the non-alpha numeric keys, how are you accessing them? Like the lack of a Delete key, Apple do odd things... ;)

B

:)

I'm accessing them like normal..press / key then tab to the next value..nothing fancy :)

Check the video..also, the last section is with the command x combo..it looks like it's deleting the value but it's not.

ps..the non-alpha numeric keys also have the same behavior in LW9.6

Cryonic
08-15-2013, 12:50 PM
the non-alphanumeric keys are probably causing the value to be overwritten, and then the field doesn't like what was pressed, so it doesn't show up. Basically the field is expecting a number or possibly a name and you're giving it something else.

Kuzey
08-15-2013, 01:59 PM
As long as LW group doesn't fix this..I'll be happy :)

I have now have a ton of alternatives for the delete key.

JoePoe
08-15-2013, 02:56 PM
:stumped: Interesting! I'm on Mac LW 9.6.1 and it works exactly as you are describing the action in 11.5.

LW 9.6, however, does respond with a zeroing out when using the main keyboard delete.

So the big change happened between 9.6 and 9.6.1. Weird.

Kuzey
08-15-2013, 03:03 PM
That explains it..I could never use 9.6.1, because the mouse contextual menus would crash both Modeler & Layout.

JoePoe
08-15-2013, 03:17 PM
That explains it..I could never use 9.6.1, because the mouse contextual menus would crash both Modeler & Layout.

Hmmm. Interesting again.
---------

Here's a little side note (maybe obvious.... just sharing).

I've found it very helpful to map a second Tab function to my F19 key (or whatever the last one is you might have over the numpad).
This way I can fly through settings MUCH quicker with one hand, rather than going all the way across the keyboard, or using the mouse, to jump to the next field.

Sorry Kuzey.... another tidbit for the extended keyboard with numpad.

Kuzey
08-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Hmmm. Interesting again.
---------

Here's a little side note (maybe obvious.... just sharing).

I've found it very helpful to map a second Tab function to my F19 key.
This way I can fly through settings MUCH quicker with one hand, rather than going all the way across the keyboard, or using the mouse, to jump to the next field.

Sorry Kuzey.... another tidbit for the extended keyboard with numpad.

I just got a bamboo wacom tablet..so that might help with the lack of an extended keyboard...here's hoping.

UnCommonGrafx
08-15-2013, 03:44 PM
I've returned to work, and thus, the macs. This is a great thread for those of us that believe "Apple do odd things...".

I have an extended keyboard and it was the thrust of my initial dislike of using LW on a mac.

I'm looking at this thread as one that could help immensely.