PDA

View Full Version : 11.6 Can't find filename.cache

Bax33
08-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi,
I just installed 11.6 and got all my plugins back in and noticed whenever I load or update a scene, it gives me popup can't find filename.cache and asks if I want to load this from a different location. Does any one know what this pertains to and how I get rid of this? I've loaded previous scenes that have no more than a single object and still get can't find some filename.cache. It's not the same filename in various scenes. If I click No, it usually is nothing more than an annoyance, but sometimes layout just locks up. Any suggestions?

RayO3D
08-05-2013, 04:47 AM
I've had this as well in both 11.5.1 and 11.6. I've poked around a little (to be fair... very, very little) but haven't see anything that would help. I would definitely be interested in this going away as well. I've not had Layout lock up on me but it is kind of annoying. I will occasionally get it on saving a scene as well.

lardbros
08-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Sounds like a Radiosity Cache file. Did you use clean configs with the 11.6 install?

Bax33
08-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Sounds like a Radiosity Cache file. Did you use clean configs with the 11.6 install?

Yes, at least I tried to. I guess I could have missed a config file. I uninstalled 11.5, copied all my support plugins and textures to another drive and installed 11.6. Then I copied my textures back and installed the plugins. Problem started immediately with a simple scene load.

RayO3D
08-05-2013, 08:56 AM
I copied my configs in for both 11.5.1 and 11.6 (though I created them fresh for 11.5). The odd thing for me at least is that it doesn't happen for me on every scene so I am having a hard time tracking it down.

OFF
08-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi,
I just installed 11.6 and got all my plugins back in and noticed whenever I load or update a scene, it gives me popup can't find filename.cache and asks if I want to load this from a different location.
Exactly the same problem here...

lardbros
08-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Have you got a default scene to load at startup? Once the scene is open, is the radiosity cache turned on?

VonBon
08-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't fully understand whats going on with "cache" files.

They should make it where you can specifically choose where to save
each cache file that is associated with a object or scene, or have them
imbedded in the actual LWO and LWS files.

Would be nice if someone would explain what is going on and why we
get these messages out of nowhere and how to fix them.

lardbros
08-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't have any issues with them, so can only presume it's because of old configs or something?

Or, you have a default scene set to load on scene reset, which has radiosity cache turned on in it.

I know it's a massive pain, but try deleting all configs and start from scratch.

Also... If you don't want to do that, try just opening a problem scene, and check to see if radiosity cache is turned on or off.

I used to have this a while back, probably years ago now... But haven't had it since.

You can choose to save your cache file wherever you want, so long as it's in the content directory of the scene being loaded really.
The cache file stores the radiosity solution ready for batch rendering, or to stop flickering on animations... But it's just not necessary for everything. Try opening up LightWave without anything loaded and see if you radiosity cache turned on or not.

Also... Check your radiosity cache file path under your file paths in options. If it's a custom one, maybe it's causing issues because it can't find the file path or something?

Sounds like a configs issue to me though. I had problems from 11.5.1 and upgrading to 11.6... And a clean config fixed it completely!

VonBon
08-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I had an issue from loading an old scene from an external drive.
not sure why it happens, but I will try your suggestions, Thanks.

Skywatcher_NT
08-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Isn't this the '.' ',' problem with the regional settings again ? Sets the camera zoom at 0 also with scenes saved like this.
Check your scene-file in word or notepad and see if the '.' are swapped with ','
That's why older scenes work/don't work compared to newer ones.

Bax33
08-05-2013, 01:44 PM
I'll check the suggestions above when I get home tonight. If I don't find anything, I'll try to document the different instances when it is happening. Maybe that will help. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bax33
08-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Ok, here is what I've done. Sorry it is so lengthy and there is no good result. Plan to try a few more things before starting from scratch. (I also included my scene and object). Does anyone not having the issue want to see if they get it with the attached scene? I'm on Windows 7 and didn't have this issue running 11.5. Thanks

I ensured there was a period between scene name and lws
I ensured Radiosity was off. (If you’re talking about the Radiosity on the Global Illum tab.) The Cache box on this tab wasn’t checked either and is disabled if Radiosity is not on anyway.

Here's the steps taken
1. Create Simple objects in Modeler (a ball and box)

2. Sent Simple objects to Layout

3. Saved scene in Layout as Simple_scene_001
a. Note: No changes or settings were changed in layout prior to save. I just sent the objects to layout and saved.
b. The scene saved successfully without error

4. Clicked X to close Layout and received Options to Save, Save and Exit, Exit and Cancel.
a. I clicked Save and Exit
b. ERROR – Can’t find “Simple_scene_001.cache”. Select an alternate file?
i. I selected NO and Layout closed

5. I started Layout again

6. I opened scene using File > Recent Scenes > “Simple_scene_001.lws”
a. It opened without error
b. I went to Modeler and updated the position of the Box and synced Layout
c. I went back to Layout and Saved the scene – No error

7. I went to File > Clear Scene
a. Option box appeared showing Save, Save and Clear, Clear and Cancel
i. NOTE HERE: I just noticed at the top of this Save and Clear Options dialog box there is a Scene File Version and it is defaulted to 9.5
1. It contains other options 5.6, 6.0, 9.2 and 9.5 (I don’t know if this is important or not)

b. Since I already Saved this scene (in step 6.c), I clicked Clear
i. ERROR – Can’t find “Simple_scene_001.cache”. Select an alternate file?
ii. This time I selected Yes to see where it would take me.
1. It is looking in Program Files/NewTek/Lightwave11.6 which contains the following folders
a. bin
b. DirectX90c
c. docs
d. ntcodec
e. sdk
f. support

2. Of these I only updated support with plugins and an additional folder in support/presets
a. I clicked Cancel and Layout closes.

8. Ok, I found something that is a bit bizarre. I made a copy of the .NewTek > Lightwave > 11.5 folder and it’s contents before uninstalling 11.5 and installing 11.6. So I went to this archived folder and did a search on cache to see what files appeared. I found a few and compared these to the ones installed in 11.6 just to see if maybe one failed to install. When I did a clean install of 11.6 it added an 11.0 folder and an 11.6 folder to Users > User Name > .NewTek > Lightwave (see Browse Files.jpg). However, when I did a search using Windows explorer in Users > User Name > .NewTek > Lightwave for a specific cache file the search results show Extension Cache-64 in the 11.6 folder and 11.5 folder (see search results.jpg). 11.5 doesn’t even exist, so I don’t know what’s going on. Looks like to be safe I need to uninstall everything and start from scratch.

OFF
08-05-2013, 09:20 PM

As you can see, the files "Extension Cache-64" and "LWEXT11-64.CFG" are almost identical, how I think "Extension Cache-64" file is a dynamic shadow of the file "LWEXT11-64.CFG".

lardbros
08-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Did you try backing up your configuration files, and then removing them from the 11.6 folder? Then starting LW again?

The config files are the ones in your my documents folder, under Newtek, then whichever version you're using :-)

Bax33
08-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Did you try backing up your configuration files, and then removing them from the 11.6 folder? Then starting LW again?

The config files are the ones in your my documents folder, under Newtek, then whichever version you're using :-)

I'm such a puttz sometimes. I woke up this morning thinking exactly this. I did all these steps and forgot the simplest. So I removed these config files and Bam! Problem resolved. Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope this thread helped the others with the same issue as well. Have a great day or night as the case may be. I'm off to work again. THANKS

Kuzey
08-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm getting this as well & I only have 1 folder inside the config folder "control booth" and nothing else. Are config files stores elsewhere in Mac OS X ?

lardbros
08-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Wish I could help Kuzey... but have no idea where Mac files are stored. I'm sure the LW manual will tell you though... maybe in the paragraph about configs redirection or something?

Kuzey
08-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Wish I could help Kuzey... but have no idea where Mac files are stored. I'm sure the LW manual will tell you though... maybe in the paragraph about configs redirection or something?

Thanks for reminding me...I manually set my content directory & now the error has disappeared..go figure :)

ps...there's a manual..what would they think of next..haha

shenhua
06-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Hey everyone. Too bad I found other threads before finding this one... had to figure out the same solution as Kuzey had.

So here's the background of how I got into the trouble. One day I don't remember if I changed the content dir myself or was it like a scene couldn't find stuff so I pointed the content directory to the User\My username. worked on the scene... then I copied it to another PC with fresh LW 11.5 install. Loading... got the radiosity cache error "can't find .cache" file. I tried turning radiosity cache off and saving all to no avail.

How I did solve the problem:

With the cache off in the scene, I saved it. I also went to the path options and noticed that the paths point in a weird way to LW directory in Program Files (all the way to the "bin" dir) and only like 3 or 4 actually point there. So I went to set the directory manually, pointed it to the User\my username. And bang, it worked problem solved.

That must be the reason why getting rid of config files helped. Anyway hope this info will be of some use to someone.

spherical
06-16-2014, 02:01 AM
FWIW, I never point anything to /user/[username]. For one thing, my system runs an SSD as the %SystemDrive%/. All data are written on fast HDDs, not the SSD. My cache files are within the current project directory tree, where they cannot be confused with any other project files. Cnange to another project, the project tree changes as well and all related files are found where they should be relative to the project root. I also never install to /Program Files. Many issues involving write permissions. Installs go into a pair of directory trees that segregate 64-bit and 32-bit applications, much like /Program Files and /Program Files (x86) but without the associated problems imposed by them.