PDA

View Full Version : Which Kinect Cam does NM support?

massmusic
08-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Will NM work with both types of Kinect cams? All info I see just says ' work with the Microsoft Kinnect..'

Sekhar
08-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Works with both Kinect for Windows and Kinect for Xbox 360, but for the Xbox version you will need to also have the USB adapter to connect to the PC (under $8 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Kinect-Adapter-Power-Supply/dp/B004IXRXGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375652023&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+360+kinect+adapter)).

massmusic
08-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks Sekhar. Already have a USB adapter. Been using Kinect for XBox to mocap to iClone, but glad LW finally has this available.

BeeVee
08-05-2013, 03:25 AM
For the XBox Kinect you will need the SDK freely available from Microsoft too, but I guess you have that already as well.

B

Greenlaw
08-05-2013, 03:34 AM
FYI, if you have the Microsoft SDK already installed, you may have to remove and reinstall it to make it work with LightWave. In my case, I had Kinect SDK 1.7 installed and it worked fine with iPi Mocap Studio 2.0 and ReconstructMe, but it would not work with LightWave.

To make it work, I had to remove the SDK completely. When I re-installed the SDK, LightWave still would not recognize the Kinect, so I removed the SDK and installed the Runtime version instead. This time LightWave worked fine with Kinect, but then I needed to re-install the full SDK package to make it work with iPi MS 2.0 and ReMe. After this, Kinect was recognized by all programs (including dual Kinects for iPi MC2.)

BTW, I did not need to install the Developer's Toolkit, only Runtime version (for LW) and the SDK (for iPi MC2 and ReMe.)

Some users have reported different configurations but this is what worked for me.

G.

tcoursey
08-14-2013, 03:12 PM
anyone know if there is a difference in resolution capability between the 360 or the windows version? I hope the new xbox One Kinect will have windows drivers so that they sweet data can flow into NM!

Greenlaw
08-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Resolution and frame rate is the same between Kinect for XBox and Kinect for Windows. Kinect for Windows is supposed to have better USB support but I haven't noticed any difference. Kinect for Windows has Near mode, which is useful for scanning 3D objects and for facial capture--I think what it actually does is change the depth range to squeeze more data closer to the lens.

FYI, for mocap, framerate is actually more important than resolution or compression. But in this case, both devices are 30 fps. Where resolution becomes important is when you want to capture a larger space but the Kinect's capture space is quite lmiited (about 7 sq ft) so you don't need to worry about that. That's a case where the multi-PS3 Eye set up (in iPi MS2) becomes more useful (20 sq ft.)

Last time I checked, the Asus version of 'Kinect' can do 60 fps but only at half res (320 x 240). Not sure how useful that is because I only have the MS Kinects here.

G.

Phil
08-14-2013, 04:01 PM
I noted this elsewhere, but it's worth noting that MS have deliberately prevented the Kinect 360 from working within Virtual Machines. The Kinect for Windows does not have this limitation.

PabloMack
08-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I just discovered that the Kinect 2 is due out next year. It will go all the way to 1920X1080 with three times the depth sensitivity and will require a USB3. Looks like I won't be buying a Kinect 1 after all. I definitely want the higher resolution. It's also supposed to have better motion tracking and even facial expression (i.e. emotion) recognition. Certainly NT has plans to expand their support for this new camera. Think of the possibilities. Sounds like motion capture channels will be extended to facial expression control.

Sekhar
08-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Kinect for Windows has Near mode, which is useful for scanning 3D objects and for facial capture--I think what it actually does is change the depth range to squeeze more data closer to the lens.

I'm confused about this. I have the Xbox version, and NevronMotion is still letting me turn the near mode on. Would the setting then to do nothing for the Xbox version?