PDA

View Full Version : LW Glitches- random keyframes and weird geometry.

SonicN2O
08-04-2013, 12:51 PM
LW has been giving me grief for quite some time. when I make an auto keyframe (like by moving an object), LW creates ANOTHER keyframe a half frame or so after it for no reason. Also, when the camera moves over geometry, random artifacts appear in openGL that make it look like a kaleidoscope. This isn't reflected in VPR or render, though.

OnlineRender
08-04-2013, 12:54 PM
it could be fractional key frames ... chances are you have hit the shortcut "3" in graph editor and switched it on.

Ill ask ryan to post he knows more about this than myself

SonicN2O
08-04-2013, 12:55 PM
1. I don't have Fractional frames turned on,
2. I didn't ask LW to make those keyframes. here's what I'm talking about:

RebelHill
08-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Th fractional keys thing was a bug... cant remember what version it crept in on, but it was fixed in a following one. As for the weird polys... thats nGons... and thats just an OGL limitation, nothing to do with LW (which is why it renders fine).

Ryan Roye
08-04-2013, 02:35 PM
It is a bug I think has been fixed. However, what still lingers are that a few plugins that handle keyframing no longer work with latest versions of Lightwave.

Pay attention to what 3rd party plugins you are using that do keyframing, and make certain that they do not create fractional keyframes. IE: Create Key +, while incredibly useful, is broken because it generates nothing but fractional keyframes as of LW 10+.

Aside from that, it is best to try to record exactly what you were doing when the error occured. Also mention the version of Lightwave you are using.

SonicN2O
08-04-2013, 03:08 PM
LightWave 11.5

xevious2501
09-20-2013, 02:18 PM
i noticed a simular glitch in 11.5 and the new 11.6 Actually several. And these happen without Fractional keys turned on. just to be clear.
1st glitch happens when 'lets say' Auto keys are turned on and you move your camera (or any other item) a new keyframe is created nudged after the original keyframe creating a pop in action, in the timeline it looks like one keyframe, but when zooming in on the key in the graph editor you see both keyframes on the same frame. Restarting LW often fixes it, but it does eventually come back.

the 2nd glitch is basically the same but instead of a new key being created on the same frame its created on the frame either before or after the frame that your on.

The last glitch in 11.6 .. Make Joint chain crashes LW.
Make joint chain is found under utilities. very usefull.

jwiede
09-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Please make sure to report these bugs via FogBugz, so the developers are notified of them and can fix them.

There does appear to be a significant upswing of issues in previously-working tools and functional areas in 11.5 onward. I really hope LW3DG QA has taken notice, and is substantially beefing up (ideally, automated) regression testing to try and catch such issues before release.

SaturnX
09-21-2013, 04:24 AM
1. I don't have Fractional frames turned on,
2. I didn't ask LW to make those keyframes. here's what I'm talking about:

A useful option aswell is to 'Snap keys'
This will snap keys to one solid frame (non-fractional)

You can access snap to key by right clicking on a key, in the dopetrack.
Or you can do it via the graph editor.

Skittixch
01-24-2014, 10:16 AM
for what it's worth,if all else fails, try making a new camera. Make sure you're rendering with your new cam, then try autokeying whatever object you're moving. That seemed to fix it for me