PDA

View Full Version : Add secondary animation? Motion modifier, expression, DPKIT

2create
08-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Hey All,

I'm trying to work out if there's a snazzy way of adding an end wobble to an animation based on the input curve or velocity and just wondered if anyone else has a method?

Thanks!!

Greenlaw
08-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I used LightWave's SoftFX to add wobble and bounce to Sparklepus' legs in Happy Box (http://vimeo.com/channels/littlegreendog/55185005). It's been a while but I think I had constrained the 'bounce' region using a weight map on just the legs.

Once SoftFX is set up, it just works, and in realtime too--no need to calculate anything. But before rendering your animation across a network, you should bake the sim to MDD of course.

SoftFX is an often neglected tool but it's very useful for this sort of thing. I know my friend Ken Wilder even used it to simulate simple cloth deformations when we did the pre-rendered Star Wars Kinect cinematics.

G.

raw-m
08-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Would be interested in a solution to this, as well. ClothFX sounds good! Mike Greens SpringyThingy (http://www.mikegreen.name/) is definitely worth a look.

Greenlaw
08-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Just to be clear, I was referring to SoftFX, which is quite different from ClothFX. SoftFX is good for bouncy, springy simulations. I use it mainly for simple dynamics effects that I want running in a 'hands off' manner--Sparklepus is a typical example. I've used it for short hair too.

There are also some good motion plug-ins from Worley that can do things like whipping antennas and 'fakey' cloth simulations. The plug-ins still worked fine for me in 11.5 but I haven't tried them with 11.6 yet.

G.

bobakabob
08-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Not at LW at the moment but take a look at the oscillator in the Graph Editor. This should do the trick.

2create
08-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Cool, great feedback :) SoftFX does look cool, for mesh stuff, couldn't get it to calculate on a null (which makes sense I suppose). Been playing with the oscillator stuff and where the damping it cool to rolloff the motion I'd be good to find something that also can increase the wave frequency over time too. I'll keep looking around and post if I find anything cool :)

souzou
08-05-2013, 06:26 AM
There's a great expression for AfterEffects called Inertial Bounce that lets you adjust the frequency as well as amplitude and decay, I don't know if someone clever might be able to adapt it to a Lightwave expression ;)

AE expression is like so:
n = 0;
if (numKeys > 0){
n = nearestKey(time).index;
if (key(n).time > time){
n--;
}
}
if (n == 0){
t = 0;
}else{
t = time - key(n).time;
}

if (n > 0){
v = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - thisComp.frameDuration/10);
amp = .05;
freq = 4.0;
decay = 2.0;
value + v*amp*Math.sin(freq*t*2*Math.PI)/Math.exp(decay*t);
}else{
value;
}

Ryan Roye
08-05-2013, 01:19 PM
You can simulate the motion using same as item constraints onto a null, using the interpolation falloff as a means to control the "bounce" of an otherwise static repeating animation. If making this for existing animation, you'll need to make proper keyframes beforehand.

The easiest way would be to "repeat" a Y motion, then pull out the X channel... kinda like folding out an accordion.

phillydee
08-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Would be interested in a solution to this, as well. ClothFX sounds good! Mike Greens SpringyThingy (http://www.mikegreen.name/) is definitely worth a look.

Can vouch for MG's SpringyThingie. Just used it, very easy to use. Needed to render over a network so I baked out the motion of the null it was applied to. EDIT: it IS a motion modifier, in case you were wondering. Add it to a control null or an object, and you get an interactive modal panel with the parameters. You can playback and tweak settings, and you can get what is essentially a spring function motion on a null.

My use for it was for secondary motion that needed a bit of a bouncy toony feel to it.

Quick and basic setup with some jacked up settings.

2create
08-06-2013, 04:12 PM
@phillydee Thanks for the .lws helped show how it's setup. Think this is what I'm after.
@souzou That's the expression I was thinking about too :)

AbstractTech3D
10-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Simple nodal alternative:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136629-Nodal-springy-overshoot-(single-channel)-setup-with-damping-gradient&highlight=springythingy