PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity problem in flocking scene



occam
08-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Hello everyone!
I recently updated to LW 11.5 and I am stuck with a problem concerning radiosity.

I created a scene (see pic) using the flocking system with 300 instances (the little men). I cannot get the radiosity in the renders from this scene the way I want it to be. In the attached picture the upper render of the population of men is the way it should be (btw. this was rendered without flocking or instances). The two renders below show the radiosity problems (these are the renders from the scene using flocking and instaces): the radiosity on the floor is off, and some of the instances have turned dark.
The scene also includes volumetric (linear) fog, there are no lights just GI (white backdrop). I included a screenshot of the Render Globals (GI) that were used for these renders.

I have tried many different settings after having read the Radiosity Guide by Tom Bosschaert (hxxp://www.except.nl/en/#.en.articles.79-except-lightwave-96-radiosity-guide). Here I read:
"There are also several circumstances in which the animated GI does not work well. Here's the list so far:
[...]
- Volumetric plug-ins (HD Instance)
- Small very bright luminous objects can cause flickering due to the rays being too dispersed creating too large a variance per shading point
[...]"

Are these the sources of my problems, as the actors in the scene are instances that are coloured white/light grey?
Can anyone help me with this problem? Is there a setting that I overlooked? This is driving me crazy, I have tried many chances in the setting but nothing works.
Thank you for your attention!

sukardi
08-03-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't have the answer to your question but you could try using non-interpolated radiosity with a ray of 8 and whatever AA necessary to clean up the scene. For your scene, I believe the render time hit is minimal...

RebelHill
08-03-2013, 08:04 AM
I *think* this was a bug... try it in 11.6

occam
08-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Thank you, Sukardi, for your quick response! I had already tried your sugestions, but I guess with way too high RPE (this was giving me unacceptable render times). Bringing down the RPE gave me very acceptable render times and quality. So your suggestion brought me to the solution of the problem, many thanks to you for your help!