PDA

View Full Version : Finally Upgraded to 11.5

JohnMarchant
08-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Hi All,

Ok i finally bit the bullet and upgraded from LW 10.1 to LW 11.5. I have been watching NT closely after the Core mess and feel that LW under Rob Powers and his team is going in the direction i would like to see.

I noticed that there is an update to LW 11.6. Is there any way i can download this and if so where is the link.

Regards, John

Ryste3d
08-03-2013, 04:42 AM
It should be in same place as your new 11.5 (your account with all your lightwave stuff)

sukardi
08-03-2013, 04:43 AM
It should be there in your account once you have registered your 11.5. Just be mindful that it is a pre release version..

JohnMarchant
08-03-2013, 04:52 AM
Hi Sukardi,

Yes i found it. Forgot you had to register LightWave before it would appear in my donwloads page.

Thanks for that.

Regards, John

Waves of light
08-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Welcome back to the party John.

JohnMarchant
08-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks mate, although i never really left. Mostly was still using 10.1 and used the trial of 11 and 11.5. Not had allot of time recently with moving to the Seychelles and a few other things, Finally settled down now so have the time to get back into LW more.

CaptainMarlowe
08-04-2013, 12:18 AM
I guess you'll be happy with 11.6 : there has been a long way since 10.1

JohnMarchant
08-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Yes a long way. Bullet,Instancing,Python,Flocking,Raycast to name just a few, there is allot to catch up on. Well it will keep me out of trouble for a bit i think.

Waves of light
08-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Thanks mate, although i never really left. Mostly was still using 10.1 and used the trial of 11 and 11.5. Not had allot of time recently with moving to the Seychelles and a few other things, Finally settled down now so have the time to get back into LW more.

You moved to the Seychelles? Wow, that's going to be a little different to Yorkshire (at least I'm positive you used to live up North from me). Look forward to seeing what goodies you come up with, with the new tools.

JohnMarchant
08-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Well at the moment im trawling through the various manual addendum's. Wish they would come out with a compiled manual before the end of the 11 cycle. From what i see there has not been a complete manual since 10. Well at least i could not find one on my download page. I also hope to get into python scripting as well.

Yeah me and Isabelle, who is a French Perfumer finally bit the bullet and moved out here. It has allot of plus sides, but also a few minuses, like the internet is slow. But cannot complain about the view,weather and beaches. I really liked Yorkshire, although im a London Lad :(:(. Isabelle loved it to but she was brought up on a tropical island so always wanted to get back to the sun. For me it was less of an issue as im used to having rubbish weather and sometimes i do miss having seasons. Here is just different levels of hot, or hot and rain

Kuzey
08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm trying to get my mouse menus all set up...why can't you delete multiple items at the same time..grrr :P

Also, a replace current menu branch(eg Left mouse button menu) with import branch option would help aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...LOT!

Waves of light
08-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Time to hack the config mate.

JohnMarchant
08-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm trying to get my mouse menus all set up...why can't you delete multiple items at the same time..grrr :P

Also, a replace current menu branch(eg Left mouse button menu) with import branch option would help aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...LOT!

Yes i agree Kuzey, i see you cant change the display colour of multiple things and indeed several things you still have to do individually, which is a pain in the neck if you have many of them.

I looked into the colour picker new in 11.6, i was hoping you could import the .jcl library files from Jovian, but alas it hangs the program. Hopefully this is just a problem of the pre release 11.6.

Whilst your here Kuzey, get back to the leather presets if you will, i need to get hold of them as soon as possible.

Kuzey
08-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes i agree Kuzey, i see you cant change the display colour of multiple things and indeed several things you still have to do individually, which is a pain in the neck if you have many of them.

I looked into the colour picker new in 11.6, i was hoping you could import the .jcl library files from Jovian, but alas it hangs the program. Hopefully this is just a problem of the pre release 11.6.

Whilst your here Kuzey, get back to the leather presets if you will, i need to get hold of them as soon as possible.

You better report that as a bug..just in case NT doesn't know about it.

Oh..yes..leather nodes...I should post some more renders soon :)

JohnMarchant
08-04-2013, 01:03 PM
You better report that as a bug..just in case NT doesn't know about it.

Oh..yes..leather nodes...I should post some more renders soon :)

I think they are aware of it now. More renders and a pre release offering please Kuzey :):):)

Waves of light
08-04-2013, 01:11 PM

Errmm, they imported ok for me on 11.6. I used the ones that were posted as a link on the forums (will try and find it for you - if different from yours).

EDIT: Found them - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?95677-Jovian-Color-Picker&p=840671&viewfull=1#post840671

Yes, the menu branch thing is a pain. If you want me to show you how to hack the Left/Middle/Right Button Menus, let me know.

Kuzey
08-04-2013, 01:26 PM
You mean this pre release??

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/leather-pack-bundle-early-bird-special.html

I think I've sent emails to most of the people who bought the metal pack, so they should be in your inbox or spam folder. BTW the pre release is not available for purchase on the web..at least not at the moment.

PS..it was originally for July only, but I'll extend it a bit more..since October is a long way...away :P

JohnMarchant
08-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Errmm, they imported ok for me on 11.6. I used the ones that were posted as a link on the forums (will try and find it for you - if different from yours).

EDIT: Found them - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?95677-Jovian-Color-Picker&p=840671&viewfull=1#post840671

Yes, the menu branch thing is a pain. If you want me to show you how to hack the Left/Middle/Right Button Menus, let me know.

Thanks for that, i had several from the past but do not load into LW ColourPicker, but these do.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean this pre release??

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/leather-pack-bundle-early-bird-special.html

I think I've sent emails to most of the people who bought the metal pack, so they should be in your inbox or spam folder. BTW the pre release is not available for purchase on the web..at least not at the moment.

PS..it was originally for July only, but I'll extend it a bit more..since October is a long way...away :P

Sorry Kuzey, i cant find it anywhere, checked my spam filter and box, not there either. I see it will be released in October, cant wait for it.

I really wish that NT would update its presets library, with updated and new ones, some of them have not changed in ages.

Kuzey
08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Hi John,

Just checked & you're right.

I haven't sent it to you yet, it seems you need the metal extension pack as well..I'll send both of those out tomorrow :)

Kuzey
08-05-2013, 04:30 AM
Done & done :)

JohnMarchant
08-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Done & done :)

Thanks allot Kuzey and especially for the expansion pack.

jwiede
08-07-2013, 02:53 AM

At this point, the existing menu editor is so inefficient, they'd be better off scrapping it and writing a new one from scratch. It desperately needs to be non-modal, among other issues, so you can freely inspect the impact of the changes. Having to pop in and out of the editor to move tabs around and so forth is ridiculous. I'd also much rather it show a static preview (that I can inspect fully before "accepting/okaying"), thus facilitating full undo/redo, etc, instead of the current use of modality and live updating, which seems neat until the first time you make a major mistake.

Between the menu editor's wonkiness and frequently needing to trash configs, the current state of affairs more or less discourages menu modification. That's unfortunate because though LW's UI is less customizable than other pkgs, there's still a lot of potential there that few really explore much beyond trivial changes.

JohnMarchant
08-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Agreed jwiede, its a little long in the tooth now. Ive asked several times for error event trapping. When you autoscan plugins of course some are a little old now and do not work with the latest version. I wish LW would tell me which one. When you get your list of installed plugins ive got a few that are BAD TAG, i mean what the hell is that all about. Id like to right click and actually show or tell me the plugin that is causing that.

I like LW UI, i like its simplicity but there is simple and to simple. I really would like it to be sorted out and be a little more helpful and intuitive.

As you said if people still have to trash their configs even now its getting a bit silly.

Anyway im enjoying LW 11.6, quite allot of changes from LW 10.1. Just wish they would produce a full manual, i would have thought that each full release would warrant a full manual.

robpowers3d
08-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Agreed jwiede, its a little long in the tooth now. Ive asked several times for error event trapping. When you autoscan plugins of course some are a little old now and do not work with the latest version. I wish LW would tell me which one. When you get your list of installed plugins ive got a few that are BAD TAG, i mean what the hell is that all about. Id like to right click and actually show or tell me the plugin that is causing that.

I like LW UI, i like its simplicity but there is simple and to simple. I really would like it to be sorted out and be a little more helpful and intuitive.

As you said if people still have to trash their configs even now its getting a bit silly.

Anyway im enjoying LW 11.6, quite allot of changes from LW 10.1. Just wish they would produce a full manual, i would have thought that each full release would warrant a full manual.

That is a good point about the full manual and one that we are trying to address. We will have several new tutorial videos that will be released very soon for the new products from SIGGRAPH including 11.6 features, NevronMotion, and ChronoSculpt.

JohnMarchant
08-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks very much for that Rob, im still going through my 3 manuals and of course trying to match up the 3 or is it 4 addendum's since then.

Looking foward to seeing the new video's as well. I think you have got me sold on Chronosculpt. NevronMotion however is not something i would use yet, however who's to say what might happen in the future. The VFX industry in the Seychelles is pretty non existent at the moment. Mostly in India but who knows what might change and certainly a nice place to work.

BeeVee
08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi John, you don't have to refer to all four addenda. They build upon one another, so you only need to look at the one for your version of LightWave. Since certain things changed over the course of 11.x, if you refer to all of them you will get conflicting information.

B

JohnMarchant
08-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for that BeeVee, so only need 10.1 manuals and 11.6 Addendum, well that saves a bit, was curious if i was missing anything and between 10.1 and 11.6 there is allot of changes and didnt want to miss anything. Will be glad when we get new manuals, always have them on my iPad for referral.

BeeVee
08-08-2013, 03:49 PM
And thanks to your confusion I've made the intro text more explicative :)

This addendum manual presents in-depth explanations of how to use all new additions to LightWave 11 through 11.6. For areas outside of this addendum, please refer to the LightWave 10 documentation present in LightWave (F1) or available from your user account on lightwave3d.com.

B