PDA

View Full Version : UV Mapping geometry with Straight and Curves sides

digitalimagery
08-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure what the best way to UV map this geometry. I'm building a logo with the camera extremely tight on the text. I'm trying to apply a cylindrical UV texture map onto the letter G but the flat surfaces have some type of redundency looking area (Image attahed). What's the cause and the best method for this? I've tried mirror, repeat, edge, reset and they all result in the same problem. What happens when I need to surface the edge of an S? Should I be using a planer map?

Also, do i need to apply a UV to each face, bevel and extrusion individually or can I do one letter and apply that UV to all the letters?

Lastly, where are UV maps stored and can I delete old maps I don't need?

Thanks for any help with this.
DI

nickdigital
08-02-2013, 04:06 PM
The PLGUV plugin will make unwrapping this easier.

The UV maps are stored in the lower right corner of Modeler. Click on the "T" button, it's inbetween the weight maps and morphs button.

If you want to delete a UV map, select it from the pulldown and then go to Edit Maps>Delete Vertex Map under the Vertex Maps tab.

The other option would be to use a procedural texture.

digitalimagery
08-02-2013, 04:27 PM
The PLGUV plugin will make unwrapping this easier.

The UV maps are stored in the lower right corner of Modeler. Click on the "T" button, it's inbetween the weight maps and morphs button.

If you want to delete a UV map, select it from the pulldown and then go to Edit Maps>Delete Vertex Map under the Vertex Maps tab.

The other option would be to use a procedural texture.

Is there a procedural that suggest scuffed metal. That previous render was a first pass - just noticed the problem I was running into so I stopped. This is a more recent test frame but you can see there is still something funky going on with the extrusion. Isn't a cylindrical UV map the proper type to do this letters extrusion?

Also does this cylindrical map layout look right? I don't see what's causing the flat spot based on what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the help.
DI

nickdigital
08-02-2013, 06:46 PM
If you select the polygon that's not texturing right, what does it look like in the uv? Maybe it's stretching across the uv space.

Snosrap
08-02-2013, 10:55 PM
I came up with this using ABF UV Unwrap in 11.6. Select the appropriate edges and press the button. Super easy and a really nice UV IMO.

dwburman
08-02-2013, 11:15 PM
If this object is going to stay in LightWave, you could try mapping the image on with a Cubic Projection instead of using a UV map.

This is a tricky shape to try to layout in UVs as one quick/automatic map.

Waves of light
08-03-2013, 06:21 AM
If I was given this task I would unwrap a nice UV using PLG, ABF unwrap or 3dcoat. I would then take it into 3dcoat and use it's projection painting tools, which allow you to bring in a flat texture and paint across UV seams.

digitalimagery
08-06-2013, 08:41 AM
If you select the polygon that's not texturing right, what does it look like in the uv? Maybe it's stretching across the uv space.

It looks like it overlaps other geometry. I'm thinking I may need to select separate groups of polys to UV map them individually. But then I'm concerned about seams not matching. May turn out to be more of a pain than it's worth. I need to bang these things out fast.

- - - Updated - - -

If I was given this task I would unwrap a nice UV using PLG, ABF unwrap or 3dcoat. I would then take it into 3dcoat and use it's projection painting tools, which allow you to bring in a flat texture and paint across UV seams.

Thanks WOL, may look into that in the future when time allows. Are these available lightwave plugs or third party.

DI

digitalimagery
08-06-2013, 08:43 AM
If this object is going to stay in LightWave, you could try mapping the image on with a Cubic Projection instead of using a UV map.

This is a tricky shape to try to layout in UVs as one quick/automatic map.

Yeah you're right it's proving to be. Snosrap looks like the right solution. Too bad I'm in 10.1 (sniff sniff).

:o)
DI

- - - Updated - - -

I came up with this using ABF UV Unwrap in 11.6. Select the appropriate edges and press the button. Super easy and a really nice UV IMO.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about and just as soon as management springs for 11.6 I'll do it just like that. Now I'm depressed (jk).

Thanks Snosrap,
DI

Waves of light
08-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks WOL, may look into that in the future when time allows. Are these available lightwave plugs or third party.

DI

It's third party, but available for 30 day free trial - which I believe allows you to do everything, so you could give it a try. http://3d-coat.com/

What snosrap did with ABF, should be doable with PLG and 3DCoat too. If you've not under NDA, pm me the files and I'll see if I have any time to export out some nice UVs.

EDIT - that's if LW11 files are compatible in LW10.1

DOUBLE EDIT - It's ok, I have 10.1 still installed.

dwburman
08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
PLG is a free plugin that's been around for a while
ABF Unwrap comes in LW11.5
3D Coat is a separate application

As Waves of Light said, 3D Coat has a trial. For that matter, LightWave also has a free trial (probably 11.5) https://www.lightwave3d.com/try/

Waves of light
08-06-2013, 10:11 AM
As Waves of Light said, 3D Coat has a trial. For that matter, LightWave also has a free trial (probably 11.5) https://www.lightwave3d.com/try/

Good point. There shouldn't be any limitations on the trial re. UV mapping or saving files?

Just to clarify one point.. I don't think PLG uses the ABF algorithum to redraw the UVs, I think it only uses LSCM, as I couldn't get a beveled G to look like snosraps UV straight from PLG. ABF Unwrap in 11 works fine. Then projection paint the problem areas in 3DCoat. But I must admit, I've just taken a G over to 3DC, after ABF unwrapping in LW11 and it doesn't seem to play well with the top poly as it's not a quad. A bit of cutting and bridging may help.

JoePoe
08-06-2013, 07:33 PM
A basic unweld/spread some points morph will give you the same result as ABF in this situation. The problem is that with both manual and ABF results shown there will be some crazy distortion on the sides. Throw a grid on that uv... You'll see what I'm talking about.