PDA

View Full Version : FBX Export -> Match Scale in 3ds Max

BlueApple
08-02-2013, 09:16 AM
I was given a number of FBX files to modify by adding some additional motion to them. I exported them from Layout, and thought all was well. However, there were a few issues.

1 - A camera and light was inserted into each FBX. This is not surprising, given they are part of the LW scene. Is it possible to strip these from the exported FBX within Lightwave, or must this be handled afterwards?

2 - The scale didn't match what I was delivered initially. I know there is a scale factor option in the export, but does anyone know the exact value to use in order to get it to match the same source FBX loaded in 3ds Max (2014 x64)?

3 - All of the colons (:) in the imported FBX were converted to underscores (_). I understand why this happens, the object layer retains the proper naming using colons, however the single layer .lwo file imports using its file name instead, which uses underscores. I doubt there is any workaround here, but if there is, please share.

So, the big question which I think is possible to correct, is number 2: scale factor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, all.

LightWave 10 Windows 7 64bit

MSherak
08-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I was given a number of FBX files to modify by adding some additional motion to them. I exported them from Layout, and thought all was well. However, there were a few issues.

1 - A camera and light was inserted into each FBX. This is not surprising, given they are part of the LW scene. Is it possible to strip these from the exported FBX within Lightwave, or must this be handled afterwards?

2 - The scale didn't match what I was delivered initially. I know there is a scale factor option in the export, but does anyone know the exact value to use in order to get it to match the same source FBX loaded in 3ds Max (2014 x64)?

3 - All of the colons (:) in the imported FBX were converted to underscores (_). I understand why this happens, the object layer retains the proper naming using colons, however the single layer .lwo file imports using its file name instead, which uses underscores. I doubt there is any workaround here, but if there is, please share.

So, the big question which I think is possible to correct, is number 2: scale factor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, all.

LightWave 10 Windows 7 64bit

When I import an .fbx exported from MAX or Maya I usually turn off the scaling. The naming is part of the file format conversion so not much can be done there. If you are exporting from LW there are flags for exporting the camera and lights into the files. Again I turn off the scaling when exporting as well. Most of the 3D packages base default units are very close now. What really matters is if the artists are building to scale or not.

BlueApple
08-02-2013, 01:24 PM
MSherak-
Thanks for the response. In Layout I don't see an option to turn off scaling (Layout 10.0). Did that appear in a later version, or am I going about things the wrong way?

MSherak
08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
MSherak-
Thanks for the response. In Layout I don't see an option to turn off scaling (Layout 10.0). Did that appear in a later version, or am I going about things the wrong way?

Saw that you are using 10.0.. 10.1 was a free upgrade, check you NTDev account to get it.

This is what my FBX import and export panels look like in 10.1.

BlueApple
08-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Just installed 10.1 and my FBX importer and exporter don't have those options. My FBX Object import box has a single check box for "Load each object into a separate layer" and a "Continue" button. MSherak, are the menus you are showing from 10.1 or 11? Am I missing something?

BeeVee
08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Are you using the Modeler Import?

B

BlueApple
08-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks for your reply, BeeVee.

I had been opening the file in Layout, as I thought opening it in Modeler would loose the existing animation in the FBX. Am I wrong in that assumption?

I fired up Modeler 10.1 (Win64) and tried importing the FBX file. From File>Import I see 1) EPSF Loader, 2) pdbreaderv3, and 3) Vertex Loader. No option for FBX.

From Modeler I use File>Load Object and see the same dialogue box I get in Layout (see attached.)

Am I being dense and missing something obvious?

BeeVee
08-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Does the FBX file just contain an object then, no animation? The windows ErnChan posted are for complete scenes rather than just objects. Can you post it here? In any case, if it's just geometry, nothing would stop you from loading it into Modeler and scaling it up.

B

BlueApple
08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
The FBX file contains multiple meshes, parenting relationships, and animations.

I could load it in Layout and scale manually, but this isn't something I can eyeball. I'd need to know the exact scale factor, and I'm unsure how to get that value.

Can't post the file, as I would likely not have my job for much longer afterwards :)

Appreciate the help everyone, but I am going to look into other methods for handling this.

BeeVee
08-06-2013, 11:04 AM
What did you export it from?

B

BlueApple
08-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I believe a colleague had exported them from 3ds Max, as he recommended editing them in there instead of in LightWave.

They will need to be cleaned up in 3ds afterwards, anyway, unless LightWave can spit the files out while maintaining existing naming conventions (no colons-to-underscores,) and avoid inserting a camera and light.

MSherak
08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks for your reply, BeeVee. I had been opening the file in Layout, as I thought opening it in Modeler would loose the existing animation in the FBX. Am I wrong in that assumption? I fired up Modeler 10.1 (Win64) and tried importing the FBX file. From File>Import I see 1) EPSF Loader, 2) pdbreaderv3, and 3) Vertex Loader. No option for FBX. From Modeler I use File>Load Object and see the same dialogue box I get in Layout (see attached.) Am I being dense and missing something obvious?

Modeler import is going to bring in the model, uv's, textures and you can place them in seperate layers or one layer. So the Layers button coming up in Modeler is correct.

The FBX file contains multiple meshes, parenting relationships, and animations. I could load it in Layout and scale manually, but this isn't something I can eyeball. I'd need to know the exact scale factor, and I'm unsure how to get that value. Can't post the file, as I would likely not have my job for much longer afterwards :) Appreciate the help everyone, but I am going to look into other methods for handling this.

Once you know the scale that you need in Modeler when you import into Layout you can use that same number. Most of the time I split my .fbx files out. One geometry and the other Camera/Light/Animation. Makes it much easier to be able to load what you need. Course Newtek could fix this with the options panel importing had flags to what bring in from the file.

Just installed 10.1 and my FBX importer and exporter don't have those options. My FBX Object import box has a single check box for "Load each object into a separate layer" and a "Continue" button. MSherak, are the menus you are showing from 10.1 or 11? Am I missing something?

Those are from 10.1

I believe a colleague had exported them from 3ds Max, as he recommended editing them in there instead of in LightWave. They will need to be cleaned up in 3ds afterwards, anyway, unless LightWave can spit the files out while maintaining existing naming conventions (no colons-to-underscores,) and avoid inserting a camera and light.

Easy way to get units from other packages to LW. First ask what units he was using in MAX. If he says I don't know then first worry, then tell him to check. Most of the time the default in MAX is fine to bring into the default in LW and vice versa. (means uncheck the SCALE flag) It's only when the user goes and sets in Maya/MAX that 1 unit = <something else> that things become a pain.

BlueApple
08-09-2013, 08:20 AM
MSherak-
Thanks for all of the info. I'll keep it in mind next time this comes up.
Appreciate the assistance.
-Adam