PDA

View Full Version : Non-destructive mocap filtering?

Phil
08-01-2013, 09:07 AM
I didn't see this addressed anywhere yet. Is there a plan to bring non-destructive filtering of mocap data post-collection? It seemed that there is a smoothing parameter available in the Kinect dialog, but it would be helpful to move this further downstream as a non-destructive filtering system that is applied to all members of the mocap rig to reduce jitter.

It's important that this is non-destructive, and able to be adjusted over time, to avoid loss of subtle secondary motions.

RebelHill
08-01-2013, 09:28 AM
I think you'll find that motion smoothing is part of the kinect sdk itself... its soemthing kinect does to the motions as it reports them. Ofc, that's no reason not to have some post process filtering... but I think it means the smoothing option currently included cant be "delayed".

lino.grandi
08-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I didn't see this addressed anywhere yet. Is there a plan to bring non-destructive filtering of mocap data post-collection? It seemed that there is a smoothing parameter available in the Kinect dialog, but it would be helpful to move this further downstream as a non-destructive filtering system that is applied to all members of the mocap rig to reduce jitter.

It's important that this is non-destructive, and able to be adjusted over time, to avoid loss of subtle secondary motions.

We've been working on something like that for the Facial controls, that are not automatically smoothed by the Kinect.

I'm pretty sure we can work out a non-destructive and interactive smoothing filter before NevronMotion is officially released. ;)

RebelHill
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I whipped up a quick and simple curve smoother if you wanna run with smoothing off and have a go as a post process...

***USAGE***

Iterations - how agressively do you want to smooth??
Spikes Only - Sometimes you dont want to smooth the curve, but you do want to take out "spikes" in the curve that occur on a single frame. This option will find and remove those whilst leaving the remainder of the curve untouched.

NOTE!!!

This thing expects a CONTINUOUS curve... which euler rotations dont always give you (a lot of mocap contains euler flips). These will be seen as curve discontinuities and smoothed (which you dont want)... so its recommended you first run an euler filter on the items you wish to filter curves for.

Phil
08-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Neat. I'll give that a look. Thanks!