PDA

View Full Version : adjusting the Nevron rig to my mesh

lamerehic
08-01-2013, 05:26 AM
Where to find a tutorial on how to use this plugin?

lino.grandi
08-01-2013, 06:38 AM
Next week I'll be posting several videos!

UnCommonGrafx
08-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Any chance at some text tutorials, too?
Schools about to start and schools are all about reading... Movies, not so much.

A request for some text tutorials, too.

lamerehic
08-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Cool, thanks because i can find how to adapt the rig on my mesh

lino.grandi
08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Any chance at some text tutorials, too?
Schools about to start and schools are all about reading... Movies, not so much.

A request for some text tutorials, too.

Cool, thanks because i can find how to adapt the rig on my mesh

What about videos with text in overlay?

lamerehic
08-01-2013, 09:32 AM
for me everything is cool, as long as i find a way to use it

UnCommonGrafx
08-01-2013, 09:37 AM

This would be exceptional. I'm sure such an approach would benefit lots more than the small crowd I have in mind.

UnCommonGrafx
08-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Have to admit, it would prompt a further request: can ya go back and overlay text on the old tutes? I could get the training down to the sixth grade, then.

:)

Sekhar
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM

What's the text for? I LOVE your videos Lino. But do you have to always make it look so easy? :)

UnCommonGrafx
08-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Text is for those who cannot access the audio or the language or both as they watch the video. This provides surface info, without access to the nuances stated in the training.

I work with deaf students; as well, there are plenty of non-English speakers who read English proficiently.

lino.grandi
08-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Text is for those who cannot access the audio or the language or both as they watch the video. This provides surface info, without access to the nuances stated in the training.

I work with deaf students; as well, there are plenty of non-English speakers who read English proficiently.

So I think it would be a good idea to have both, voice and text!

UnCommonGrafx
08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Sure; wasn't trying to alleviate the voice. I like your voice. haha

Sekhar
08-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Sure; wasn't trying to alleviate the voice. I like your voice. haha

And the accent, I think it's cool. :)

Phil
08-04-2013, 05:02 PM
In the meantime, is there even some basic guidance available with regard to adjusting the skeleton to fit the mesh. If I replace the placeholder with my own mesh and then start adjusting the bones to suit, the mesh starts deforming. I was a little surprised about this - I'd assumed that the bones wouldn't be active in the initial scene.

So, I'm wondering what the expected workflow is.

CaptainMarlowe
08-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Have you checked, before adjusting the skeleton to the mesh, that "enable deformations" is unchecked ? Once you have finished, either you select all the bones and activate them, or you can use the "neuron activate bones" script to do this in one click.

tcoursey
08-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Next week I'll be posting several videos! Lino, will you be posting those videos here in the forums or on your YT channel? Would really like to see those. We bought NM and have not really been able to use much of it as there are a few things we are apparently missing in the secret sauce! :)

tcoursey
08-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Have you checked, before adjusting the skeleton to the mesh, that "enable deformations" is unchecked ? Once you have finished, either you select all the bones and activate them, or you can use the "neuron activate bones" script to do this in one click.

What portions of the skeleton CAN you adjust. Have is Locked and the other half doesn't seem to move anything. The boxes don't seem to adjust anything....

Know I'm doing something wrong, as I'm not a rigger and have no idea what this setup is....but have seen videos of it working! just can't wait....lol.

rustyippolito
08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
What portions of the skeleton CAN you adjust. Have is Locked and the other half doesn't seem to move anything. The boxes don't seem to adjust anything....

Know I'm doing something wrong, as I'm not a rigger and have no idea what this setup is....but have seen videos of it working! just can't wait....lol.

I'm right there with you... tried everything to adjust the rig to fit my mesh and gotten nowhere. De-activating the bones, adjusting the circular rig controls, then re-activating the bones just destroys the mesh, so that's a no-go. ANYONE with a simple step-by-step of what is KNOWN to work would be fantastic at this point, until Lino gets us the HIGHLY anticipated tuts and updates (Did I mention HIGHLY ANTICIPATED?)

CaptainMarlowe
08-08-2013, 03:08 AM
OK, IF (that's a big if, since I'm unpacking my stuff after moving) I have time, I'll show you how I proceeded in my first tests, granted I'm no rigger nor animator, and a pure hobbyist. What I can show will thus be very basic.

CaptainMarlowe
08-08-2013, 04:16 AM
Here's a quick, rough video I made to show how I retarget. Hope it will help, though I can't guarantee that the workflow described is the good one.

http://youtu.be/ltditH3S_wE

tcoursey
08-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Here's a quick, rough video I made to show how I retarget. Hope it will help, though I can't guarantee that the workflow described is the good one.

http://youtu.be/ltditH3S_wE

Thanks for the demo video! It apears you have some similar issues that many others do. however you "were" able to get a retarget of the skeleton to work.

I think one of the big things people (me included) didn't realize is that the retargeting ONLY works with the Nevron Skeleton. On that note, when I fit my skeleton to my character and then turn on DEFORM the character always jumps up about 3-4" above my skeleton...your's didn't. hmmm.

Also, the siggraph demo's were way smoother, looks like they had their own perfected demo, not just any BVH file. Workflow is much different....a bit of snake oil....? Hopefully just a pre-release issue. It needs to get smoothed out.

Thanks again!

CaptainMarlowe
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Yep, I do have issues. The head is the biggest. Also, I used a CMU BVH and you noticed the T-pose was screwed from the beginning. I have tried with other bvh files, and some need manual retargeting since the bvh bones names are sometimes not standard (e.g. chest instead of spine, etc.). At this point, nevron motion really comes in handy as you reassign the correct source bone to the correct target bone without too much hassle.
This said, yeah, it's only a pre-release. What we need now, is a polished version, with a correct manual and some explicit tutorials. For instance, how do you assign weight maps on the nevron skeleton ? I haven't found out, yet.

Ho, and of course, a genoma rig usable with nevron-motion, just to be able to prepare the mesh in modeler (weight maps included) and then retarget anything on it.

PS : I haven't tried with fbx retargeting yet. Perhaps it works smoother. For me, bvh retargeting is aboslutely necessary, as being on Mac, I will have to buy fastmocap and a kinect to create my own mocap, since kinect isn't supported for mac inside nevronmotion.

rustyippolito
08-08-2013, 05:13 PM
So is the planned workflow intended to start with a new (to be supplied) genoma preset that creates a rig that matches the included "Nevron_Skeleton" rig so we can make the necessary adjustments in modeler as we do currently? Then use that scene as a basis for retargeting? We currently are using a Dual-Kinect iPi capture setup (as many users have also mentioned) and having the ability to drive the great nevron skeleton with our iPi created fbx/bvh files will be a very welcome addition to the pipeline (forgoing the Motionbuilder step altogether, unless we need to create looping anims of course...). Lino? Is that the plan?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the video CaptainMarlowe! Every little bit of info helps all of us right now!

tcoursey
08-09-2013, 09:36 AM
so why does the nevron rig start below 0 with it's feet? My models are all on 0. Of course I can move my character but is this a bug? Seems a bit wierd (but I'm not a rigger so maybe I'm missing something).

tcoursey
08-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Is it next week yet :)

lino.grandi
08-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Is it next week yet :)

Yes! The video is ready, but we're preparing a new version of both NevronMotion and LightWave11.6 (the Nevron rig is now avalaible as a Genoma preset). Sorry for the delay!

Orimar
08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Good news. Thanks, Lino.

Ambival
08-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm guessing that what is hinted at above is the same issue I'm having. I loaded up a scene with the provided Kinect skeleton, resized it to my mesh, assigned weightmaps to the bones, rested and activated them. Then, when I hit "Active" in the Studio, the bones took off without my mesh. Is there something I'm missing? Forgive me if it's too simple.

Thanks,
Roger

tcoursey
08-09-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm guessing that what is hinted at above is the same issue I'm having. I loaded up a scene with the provided Kinect skeleton, resized it to my mesh, assigned weightmaps to the bones, rested and activated them. Then, when I hit "Active" in the Studio, the bones took off without my mesh. Is there something I'm missing? Forgive me if it's too simple.

Thanks,
Roger

Yea the retargeting only works with the nevron rig currently. But there must be a trick to getting the nevron rig appropriatly adjusted to characters. I have gotten it to work (properly deform manually) but when I retarget there is some wonky stuff happening. Can't wait to see the vid's from Lino, step by step. Hopefully that will solve a lot of issues all over the forums. Can't wait for the URL!!!!!

rustyippolito
08-10-2013, 01:30 AM
Yes! The video is ready, but we're preparing a new version of both NevronMotion and LightWave11.6 (the Nevron rig is now avalaible as a Genoma preset). Sorry for the delay!

Thanks to you and your team for getting the new versions out so quickly Lino! We just got the iPi-to-Nevron skeleton pipeline working PERFECTLY! now we just need to be able to get the nevron skeleton adjusted to our models and we are golden! Can't wait to see the "come and get it" post!

CaptainMarlowe
08-14-2013, 01:37 AM
I did a new test, and I think it's starting to be better as I understand better how nevron motion works. I mixed three various bvh files in Animeeple and exported a single animation, which I used in Lightwave. As the bones names were slightly different from the bvh default set-up, I retargeted manually all the bones, included the "gimbal" bones (from the source) which corresponded to the "roll" bones in the target. I think the result was quite convincing, as I only corrected the base spine and the feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-cxZlgNCc&feature=youtu.be

Any feedback welcome.

tcoursey
08-16-2013, 01:30 PM

Lino, can you give us any better timeframe? Couple of weeks now, I know you guys are working on them, just frustrating for some of us that haven't got everything working like the demos at SG. Thanks for any news you can share...

Areyos Alektor
08-18-2013, 04:35 PM
He has already replied, a little patience ;)

lino.grandi
08-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Lino, can you give us any better timeframe? Couple of weeks now, I know you guys are working on them, just frustrating for some of us that haven't got everything working like the demos at SG. Thanks for any news you can share...

Sorry, it took a little more than we expected! But we're finally there. ;)