PDA

View Full Version : imported video - read AVCHD

Verlon
07-31-2013, 08:35 PM
I would like for Lightwave to be able to read AVCHD footage directly from cameras. While I understand the benefits of post processing and rendering out, sometimes I just want to get something directly from camera to texture quickly. As a large number of cameras now use AVCHD, reducing the number of steps would be nice.

Mac side, it would be nice if it could be read from the normal import methods (FCP X/iMovie), and if the requestor were aware of metadata (favorites, rejects, and keywords), it would make setting up a lot easier.

Come to think of it, reading that same metadata from photos would be pretty handy also (ratings, keywords and so on).

jburford
08-02-2013, 04:33 PM
I feel AVCHD is great as a viewing codec, but terrible for editing and resources. Might pose problems for Lightwave.

But am tickled pink that DPX is finally coming!

Verlon
08-02-2013, 04:59 PM
It cant be all that bad if SpeedEdit, Pinnacle, iMovie, Edius, Vegas, Avid, Premiere, Ulead, Windows Movie Maker, Cinelera, and numerous others can edit it smoothly.

I am not saying it is Cineform or AppleProRes or even DPX. What I am saying is that a LOT of cameras shoot in AVCHD right now, today, in a (mostly) industry standard. And if I want to get directly from my cameras to Lightwave in as few steps as possible, then I know of no better way than this suggestion.

There are times when I do not wish to cut, edit, color-correct and re-render for a couple of hours before importing into Lightwave. Sometimes, I just want to being the video in and get a look at how something is going to work.

I mean, the same argument could be made for excluding JPEGs. They are lossy, compressed, do not support alpha channel/transparent backgrounds, or layers. Does any sane person think we should take support for them out of Lightwave? No. Why? Because everyone uses the format. The same argument could be made for HDV, but LW ate that just fine. The same argument could have been made for DV, but Lightwave ate that just fine.

How many DSLR and Prosumer Camcorders shoot in AVCHD? I do not think I've even seen anything else.