PDA

View Full Version : Retina iOS Display Requirements

jesblood
07-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Does anyone hear have any idea what the resolution requirements are for Retina iOS? Reason I ask is my team and I are developing a game and we've tried going to the source, Apple, and trying to find the info amongst all there documentation has been like trying to find a needle in a haystack within a haystack.

Could anyone enlighten us by any chance? Or post a helpful link to an official or useful source that has the answers. Have searched the web but there appear to be different answers out there. If anyone can help at all, thanks.

Ernest
07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Retina is about the ppi, so it varies depending on the size of the screen.
Here's a table for some apple devices:
http://www.iosres.com/

jesblood
07-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Retina is about the ppi, so it varies depending on the size of the screen.
Here's a table for some apple devices:
http://www.iosres.com/

Thanks Ernest. Checking it out.

RayO3D
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
That's really handy. When I was searching for it I had the same problem and just cobbled together notes from some posts and official Apple pages (if you are interested in seeing the Apple links I can try to dig them up for you).

The only other two cents I will throw in is my personal experience with renders for the retina splash screen. I have my renders done at the listed res but sometimes they seem to be just a little too wide when the splash first loads. It's nothing major (a handful of pixels) but something I notice when its a couple of seconds into the loading and snaps to fit all of the image on the screen.

I will also say there is a chance I have a setting wrong but I have been so busy I haven't gone back and looked too in-depth to see where the problem might be. It's entirely possible I got something a little off while working on it. Main thing is (as always) think about your screen and text safe areas and you will be fine.

jesblood
08-01-2013, 12:19 AM
That's really handy. When I was searching for it I had the same problem and just cobbled together notes from some posts and official Apple pages (if you are interested in seeing the Apple links I can try to dig them up for you).

The only other two cents I will throw in is my personal experience with renders for the retina splash screen. I have my renders done at the listed res but sometimes they seem to be just a little too wide when the splash first loads. It's nothing major (a handful of pixels) but something I notice when its a couple of seconds into the loading and snaps to fit all of the image on the screen.

I will also say there is a chance I have a setting wrong but I have been so busy I haven't gone back and looked too in-depth to see where the problem might be. It's entirely possible I got something a little off while working on it. Main thing is (as always) think about your screen and text safe areas and you will be fine.

Yes I'm very interested. Thanks man.

RayO3D
08-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Okay here (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/IconsImages/IconsImages.html)is the link to Apple's iOS Interface details. It's pretty handy because it also gives you the breakdown on icons, launch images, and several other iOS components. The other link is a little easier to read but the Apple doc is nice to have on hand as well.

Edit: I did go back and verify my images match the resolutions listed so I'm not sure what is causing the change in aspect I am seeing when our app loads. I will try to get over to the Mac and see I can rundown the issue but I'm not sure when I will get over there. If anyone else has seen this and has input I would be interested in hearing about it.