PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a web guru type who can answer a question....

lwanmtr
07-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Ok, I recently got my website back up.

All working ok, except that I used to have my quicktime movies set to open in a seperate player from the browser...now they dont work at all.

Wondering if someone can tell me how to get this working again?

Thanks.

Doctor49152
07-31-2013, 11:05 PM
off hand without more information (browser, your OS and the server type) I'd venture to guess the new server has a quicktime MIME/type. So when the server sends it your browser now knows it can handle it and it opens up in the browser.

Before without it your browser didn't know how to handle it so it allowed whatever app thats associated to open it.

lwanmtr
07-31-2013, 11:46 PM
Before I used a bit of javascript on the page to handle the targeting.

BigHache
08-01-2013, 05:28 AM
It's hard to definitely say but that behavior will happen if the server is not setup to stream videos.

Triodin
08-01-2013, 01:55 PM
I would 100% upload them to youtube and then embed them with youtube's embedder.

Not only will you be able to get your videos to play without an external app (HTML5 natively plays video now), but you'll get to double dip on your exposure - people will be able to find your content with keywords right on youtube. Just be sure to link back to your site within the description of your youtube vids.

Remember to use all your keywords (at least Lightwave) for maximum exposure ;)

lwanmtr
08-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I've considered dropping them on youtube, and i already have a few up there..hehe. I'll check out the embedder.

Reason I liked the external viewer is that I always preffered to download videos to watch and be able to scrub easier.

50one
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I've considered dropping them on youtube, and i already have a few up there..hehe. I'll check out the embedder.

Reason I liked the external viewer is that I always preffered to download videos to watch and be able to scrub easier.

You must be one of a few then, I'll tell you that 99% of folks don't like to download movies and the mobile devices market is booming, so I would rather focus on solution that works on every device(youtube, vimeo)
Besides when tou upload tour videos to youtube tou'll get some SEO juice too, as youtube belong to google.

Triodin
08-02-2013, 08:40 AM
The best thing about the web is that you can have it both ways ;)

You could have the youtube embed for the casual viewer / the guy who wants to take a quick look - and then provide the HD Quicktime download for people who want to deep dive in a separate link "Like what you see on my YouTube? Click here to download the Quicktime and check it out frame by frame!" or something to that effect of a call to action.

I'd personally invite them to contact you for a quote / discussion about their 3d project as the main call to action of the page then provide the quicktime as a secondary option for people on the fence.

Also, here's a quick reference for embedding your YouTube vids: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/171780?hl=en

lwanmtr
08-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah, yeah...I'll join the modern world....lol.

Going to seperate each vid into its own page, so I can put more details about them, then I currently have. Also have youtube links and links to download HD versions.

...That is hopefully this weekend after I stop playing with chronoscultp....lol