PDA

View Full Version : Changing Instances to actual geometry? PLUGIN???

tcoursey
07-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Is there a plugin that can take the instances I have laid out in my scene and replace those with the actual geometry? Would even be better if it did it in Modeler, crazy I know...but I have a special need.

3DGFXStudios
07-31-2013, 09:19 AM
There are no instances in modeler. In layout there is a python script that bakes instances. It's somewhere in the python script directory.
In modeler you can clone stuff to points or polygons.

tcoursey
07-31-2013, 09:37 AM
There are no instances in modeler. In layout there is a python script that bakes instances. It's somewhere in the python script directory.
In modeler you can clone stuff to points or polygons.

What I meant about modeler was to place the geometry into one object for modeler, not a bunch of copied models in layout. I'll take a look at the python script, did not know if something existed. Once actual geometry is laid out I could always save out transformed objects and I think there is a script that will do all of them at once too.

Thanks!

tcoursey
07-31-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm not finding anything related (as far as I can tell) under the python or scripts directory. Any more info? Anyone else do this? Thanks.

nickdigital
07-31-2013, 10:46 AM
It's bake_instance.py in your ...\support\plugins\scripts\Python\Layout\Generic folder. Select your instance object, not the instance generator, and run the script.

Sensei
07-31-2013, 10:48 AM
SprayBgPoints from TrueArt's Modeling Pack www.trueart.eu
can spray points on some geometry, with or without some minimum distance between them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKKsNMd_kCM

Then you can pick it up in instances GUI in Layout, and instances will be where was points. Not overlapping each other.
Then you can press "Bake Instances" and it will be saved to single object. Edit Menus, search for "bake instance"

tcoursey
07-31-2013, 03:21 PM
It's bake_instance.py in your ...\support\plugins\scripts\Python\Layout\Generic folder. Select your instance object, not the instance generator, and run the script.

Perfect! That works great. Yea I was in the folder but just missed it! Pretty obvious...bake_instance! doh.

I seem to remember a script/plugin that will take these individually laid out objects in Layout and combine them into one object...Save Trans is not working with all of them selected.

Thoughts?

tcoursey
07-31-2013, 03:26 PM
I think maybe I can export the scene as an FBX and then convert from there. Should work. Thanks again!

nickdigital
07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Perfect! That works great. Yea I was in the folder but just missed it! Pretty obvious...bake_instance! doh.

I seem to remember a script/plugin that will take these individually laid out objects in Layout and combine them into one object...Save Trans is not working with all of them selected.

Thoughts?

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134676-Merging-lots-of-files-into-one&highlight=collapse+model