PDA

View Full Version : DataLink Info Needed.

fox56wolf
07-30-2013, 06:36 AM
We do a lot of local HS and college sports but have not tried using DataLink at all yet. I would like to start experimenting with it, but I'm almost concerned it seems too simple. I haven't really looked at the scoring systems we run into. Other than the All Sport consoles, do most scoreboard controllers have 9-pin connectors for me to use? Do most boards provide extra data ports so I'm not interfering with the scoreboard? Has anyone used 9-pin to CAT5 adapters? Our runs from the scorer's table to our truck are usually around 2-300 feet, does length cause any issues? With the All Sport, anyone know a good source for purchasing an AllSportCG; cost? Also, I know the ASCG needs a 1/4"-9pin cable, does this normally come with the unit? If not, does anyone know the pin-outs so I could make one? I just want to try to get more information before saying "we need to do this" only to have it blow up in my face.

imryh
07-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Hello.

To answer your questions:

1. The Daktronics All-Sport CG comes with a DB9-to-1/4" cable. You don't need to purchase a separate one.

2. You shouldn't have a problem carrying the raw data signal 200-300 ft. The 1/4" output from the Daktronics All-Sport 5000 or 3000 is a current loop signal. It should be able to travel for 900-1000ft. without any issues.

3. If you do need to carry the signal for a distance greater than 1000ft., Daktronics makes current loop to fiber converters, that allow you to send the data signal over fiber. Let me know if you need more information there. We use these converters to get our data signal from Harvard Stadium to our central control room, located 1500 ft. away.

4. I have not tried a 9-pin to CAT5 cable, but I really don't think you need it. I would recommend getting something like this (http://goo.gl/R2EdtI). You can use several of those in a row without any issue. I've used two of those to extend the current loop signal 200' without issues at all. You can also carry the signal on a standard XLR cable, with a couple of adapters.

5. Note that the All-Sport CG only works with Daktronics All-Sport 5000 or All-Sport 3000. It DOES NOT work with the All-Sport 4000.

6. You can purchase the All-Sport CG directly from Daktronics for about $850.

7. Alternatively, if your All-Sport 5000 is wireless, and you have a direct line-of-sight between the scorer's table and the truck, you may get a wireless All-Sport CG for $1,250, which would eliminate the need for any 1/4" to DB9 cables or extensions.

8. You also need a DB9-to-USB cable to connect the All-Sport CG to your LiveText computer. Something like this: http://goo.gl/1b8MHQ.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Imry

fox56wolf
07-30-2013, 01:03 PM
how about for scoring systems other than Daktronics? We travel to many different schools, and are never quite sure what we'll run into.

imryh
07-30-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't think the All-Sport CG connects to anything but a Daktronics system.
I recommend you look into an OCR system. There's a very good one from Graphics Outfitters (http://graphicsoutfitters.com).
That would allow you to get a clock and score feed from any scoring system, as long as you have a camera pointed at the scoreboard.
You could also look into this company's iVGA Connect, which would allow you to use any SDI fill\key pair as a Network input on Tricaster.

kanep
07-30-2013, 02:01 PM
how about for scoring systems other than Daktronics? We travel to many different schools, and are never quite sure what we'll run into.

Other options too look at besides the Graphics Outfitter's ScoreOCR solution.

This solution says it works with multiple scoreboard systems. (I've never used it)
http://www.video4ever.net/

This solution is manual (it doesn't connect to a scoreboard system), but makes handling scoring for different sports or locations easy.
http://www.krisgurrad.com/LT_scoreboards.html

mikkowilson
02-13-2014, 01:16 AM
So I've hit a sang, and I could use some help.

We have a VT[5] & Livetext 2 on an external machine. All working just fine.
We upgraded to Livetext 2 under the impression that we'd be all set to connect to our school's Daktronics scoreboards. With a major tournament coming up, I've fear we may have a problem. Our school uses All Sport 4000 controllers. After a LOT of searching; I haven't found any documentation of any solution to interface LiveText to a All Sport 4000.

I'd love it if we could just tie in directly- I as was led to believe when we purchased the upgrade from LiveText 1.
$900 to buy a All Sport CG is more than we had budgeted for this project, but we could probably stretch to that if we knew it would work. But apparently that isn't compatible for some (inexplicable) reason.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

- Mikko

imryh
02-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Unfortunately, Daktornics's All-Sport CG does not support the All-Sport 4000. Just the 5000 and the 3000.
The only way I know to convert a All-Sport signal for DataLink/LiveText usage (besides an All-Sport CG) is using Daktronics' DSTI computer and accompanying signal converters.
It might be easier for you to use a different scoreboard setup instead of DataLink. Perhaps something like Graphics Outfitters' OCR or ScoreMark.

PIZAZZ
02-13-2014, 10:54 AM
I know for a fact that the ScoreBot from http://www.sportzcast.net/ does work with the Daktronics 4000 controllers. That will tie into your Datalink/LiveText setup data.

mikkowilson
02-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the pointer Jef. I'll do some investigating on ScoreBot.

Honestly I'm a little miffed that this is going to require additional equipment. I was lead to believe when purchasing the Livetext 2 upgrade to get Datalink that it would work out of the box with Daktronics. I should have learned by now that Newtek's marketing isn't the most intuitive when it comes to advertising what might actually be possible.

- Mikko

PIZAZZ
02-14-2014, 08:13 AM
Sure thing Mikko. Keep in mind that the AllSport4000 actually has 2 data streams outputting. Depending on if you need both game clock and shot clock you might need 2 ScoreBots. Even if that is necessary you still will be under the price of a single Daktronics AllsportCG. Give Mike a call, he is in the Atlanta, Ga. area so I don't know if he has been impacted or not with the latest snow storm power outages. Tell him I sent you. He will take care of you.

mikkowilson
02-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Handy. Thanks again Jef! :thumbsup:

And no shot-clock for us.

- Mikko