PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk SIGGRAPH Event News (Also 3DS Max users speculate its future)

robertoortiz
07-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Aparently the writing on the wall concerning the future of 3D Studio Max

Quote: This is very disappointing news for long-time 3DS Max users who were at least hoping to get some news of what the future has to bring for 3DS Max. The successor to Naiad was shown, now called "Bifröst", and has been completely implemented into Maya. When asked if it would also be implemented into 3DS Max, the answer was for 3DS Max users to not get their hopes up. If you were at the event and have more to share, please submit to us here at Maxunderground. -
See more at: http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/19385_autodesk_siggraph_event_news___including_fut ure_of_naiad.html#sthash.fDD7WZ4z.dpuf

The comments section of the site is pure gold BTW.

djwaterman
07-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Welll...they still own archviz and a huge user base so I don't see them disappearing anytime soon. It's mostly just moaning because they don't get all the things that Maya gets.

cresshead
07-30-2013, 06:00 AM
it's becoming clear what's happening now.

back when autodesk aquired Maya and then softimage xsi we thought that autodesk would eventually create a new app using all the cool things from these apps and put them into a new 3d app.
however that's a risky move see C.O.R.E for that...so instead Autodesk appear to have moved the entire dev team form softimage over to maya, aquired that fluid sim...put itinto maya..put human ik from motion builder (was actually first in 3dsmax just so you know) into maya.

can you see a theme?

yeh Maya is that uber app in the end and softimage and 3dsmax will be sidelined, to be honest the last 5 releases of max have all been sluggish beta code bloat ( as they say they are re writing the code)
and i prefer to use 3dsmax 2008 or 2009 as they don't take an age to boot up and don't fall over.

I'm still on subscription for 3dsmax...maybe autocash will enable a migration option over to maya?

I love how 3dsmax works, and also tried out the demo of cinema4d prime, which feel VERY 3dsmax like, almost it's twin in fact...
If Maxon ever offer a 50% discount to migrate from 3dsmax to cinema4d studio i'd probably JUMP and not look back.

If max is dead...cinema4d will be a good bet for me, i also keep an eye on Blender although not that much is 3ds max like.

devin
07-30-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm not trying to get everyone up-in-arms and this is just one person's opinion, but I had to roll my eyes at this one comment. I can't believe that people are still going there.

"So I walk into the show today and poeple came to me and said.. “Hey Alan, there’s no Autodesk booth? I’m like really? C’mon you’ve got to be BSing me! But lo, there was Newtek on one side, Cinema 4D on the other (what was this, AmateurGRAPH?) and no Adesk to be seen. Damn."

cresshead
07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
insult to injury...

http://inthefold.autodesk.com/in_the_fold/2013/07/3d-modeling-in-3d-space-its-not-just-the-stuff-of-sci-fi-movies-anymore.html

Surrealist.
07-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Autodesk does not directly control the Maya user base. That is something that has happened because of Maya as a tool for various reasons. The development that centers around Maya is for probably many reasons but the largest I am sure is user base within existing pipelines which already had a stronghold before AD came along. Initially the acquisitions where just market share primarily I am sure. But that does not mean that they can force the use of certain tools. However by owning these apps they have managed to bring about a certain interoperability that likely would not exist otherwise. Other than that, really it seems more to me like Softimage and Max fighting for a bigger share of the market and loosing already to Maya. Autodesk is just putting the beans where the beans will make more cash. Pretty simple logic. I am frustrated with the Softimage support as well. But unfortunately that is the way it is. So rather than piss and moan about it more, I switched to Maya as my main app and there is a lot to gain by doing so in my opinion when you look at the future of CG and the new technology being developed. I never really liked Max. XSI was more appealing. But Maya is a better first app choice with XSI as a great tool to have in the bag. For me I am exited to have seen that writing on the wall and it is great to be using the app that many new things get developed for first. It is a choice you have as an artist. Unfortunately the one thing you can not directly control is the market share no matter how much you like or prefer something. So there are trade offs in my opinion. If Max was my first choice, I for sure would have made the same decision. I am sure I don't have the 100% correct reasons. But I am also sure it is not AD trying to kill of XSI or MAX. It is just the way it is in the market now.

UnCommonGrafx
07-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Leap, so far for me, is over-rated.

Maybe if I had one for LW...

Yeah, it is odd that there isn't one for the others... But, maybe not, as Maya is said to have the same issue as chronosculpt foundation: capable of doing the whole app. To that end, added without detraction nor breakage.

VonBon
07-30-2013, 02:05 PM
insult to injury...

http://inthefold.autodesk.com/in_the_fold/2013/07/3d-modeling-in-3d-space-its-not-just-the-stuff-of-sci-fi-movies-anymore.html

Nice, until your arms get tired ;D

I would like it if you could have holograph
of your object in front you instead of on the screen.

geo_n
07-30-2013, 08:11 PM
"I’ve switched to Maya and I hate it. Building things in max cannot be eclipsed by any other software.

I quite like Softimage but nobody uses that."

Lol

hrgiger
07-31-2013, 04:44 PM
I don't get what's going on over there at Autodesk. Admittedly, I haven't cared either and haven't been following it too closely (i.e. not at all) but it was just a few years ago that out of curiosity I had signed up for their webinar about 3DS Max development and it was pertaining the project where they were restructuring Max and rewriting big parts of it to make all these drastic changes over several years. Is that project no longer in progress? Doesn't sound like a lot of Max users are too happy about how much attention their app is getting.

jburford
07-31-2013, 04:55 PM
it's becoming clear what's happening now.

back when autodesk aquired Maya and then softimage xsi we thought that autodesk would eventually create a new app using all the cool things from these apps and put them into a new 3d app.
however that's a risky move see C.O.R.E for that...so instead Autodesk appear to have moved the entire dev team form softimage over to maya, aquired that fluid sim...put itinto maya..put human ik from motion builder (was actually first in 3dsmax just so you know) into maya.

can you see a theme?

yeh Maya is that uber app in the end and softimage and 3dsmax will be sidelined, to be honest the last 5 releases of max have all been sluggish beta code bloat ( as they say they are re writing the code)
and i prefer to use 3dsmax 2008 or 2009 as they don't take an age to boot up and don't fall over.

I'm still on subscription for 3dsmax...maybe autocash will enable a migration option over to maya?

I love how 3dsmax works, and also tried out the demo of cinema4d prime, which feel VERY 3dsmax like, almost it's twin in fact...
If Maxon ever offer a 50% discount to migrate from 3dsmax to cinema4d studio i'd probably JUMP and not look back.

If max is dead...cinema4d will be a good bet for me, i also keep an eye on Blender although not that much is 3ds max like.

Maxon had a 50% off during the April time frame, if you were upgrading from an earlier version of C4d. (I had picked up a (dirt) cheap version of C4D about 18 months ago. .. so was a sweet deal for me)

They do have deals when coming from competing software though.... do a search or contact them.

Actually, just remembered, they have 50% for upgrading from C4D Lite to Studio or Broadcast at the moment until September I believe. So do the Creative Cloud for 1 year subscription and qualify. (I know, it's the devil)

cresshead
08-03-2013, 03:37 PM
if Autodesk offer a subscription migration to Maya 2015 form 3dsmax 2014 next year i'd seriously consider it.

Autodesk appear to be backing Maya as their future 3d app for media and entertainment.

bobakabob
08-03-2013, 04:37 PM
As a one man band I find the competition's tools prohibitively expensive. Very sad, they have some excellent software but I'd rather invest in quality hardware than max out my bank account for the benefit of shareholders who stifle innovation and don't give a hoot about animation. Lightwave and Zbrush are a pretty unbeatable combination for most jobs and continue to look like a safe bet regarding longevity. Anyone recall all the doom mongers on the forums predicting the demise of LW back in the 90s when Maya was on the rise? Lightwave was always the underdog. So much long forgotten blah and speculation and here we are in 2013 with a dedicated team of LW innovators working hard to offer a quality alternative to Brand X. I could spend the next 10 years just learning the full feature set of LW 11.6 and ZB 4. Best to focus on skills rather than software in the end. I've resolved once I retire to kick the 3d habit and go back to pen and paper :)

GandB
08-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I see AD has a rental scheme now as well (though still selling perpetual), though it's a bit confusing as to what you're renting (program-wise). Just under 100 bucks a month.