PDA

View Full Version : Node Instability

Chris S. (Fez)
07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
The general crashiness of nodes needs to be addressed IMO. Texturing with VPR is particular touchy, but nodes in all aspects of the program seem to suffer from instability.

MSherak
07-29-2013, 12:20 PM
The general crashiness of nodes needs to be addressed IMO. Texturing with VPR is particular touchy, but nodes in all aspects of the program seem to suffer from instability.

Think that is why it's a pre-release. If it is repeatable, send a scene and a bug report.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-29-2013, 02:01 PM
I do not mean 11.6 specifically. I mean all versions of LW since VPR was implemented.

jasonwestmas
07-29-2013, 02:03 PM
I usually run into problems with the arrow dials for entering numerical shader values. Those are the most crashy for me.

nickdigital
07-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Haven't had many crashes with VPR and nodes.

A detailed step by step and system specs submitted to FogBugz is the route to go.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-29-2013, 02:57 PM
I usually run into problems with the arrow dials for entering numerical shader values. Those are the most crashy for me.

Hmmm. That might be the common denominator for my crashes. It seems to occur when I have only the vaguest idea what value to input and am haphazardly dragging a slider or dial or rapidly changing values or whatever.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.

jasonwestmas
07-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Hmmm. That might be the common denominator for my crashes. It seems to occur when I have only the vaguest idea what value to input and am haphazardly dragging a slider or dial or rapidly changing values or whatever.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.

I used to get crashes (with the fprime previewer open) if I disconnected and connected nodes to each other too quickly, I don't recall that ever being a problem with VPR. So if that is happening to you, I'd say that's new. But generally I tend to just punch in my numerical values with my key pad out of habbit these days.

probiner
07-29-2013, 07:35 PM
I used to have those. Even to this day I flinch when going to connect something. It happened to me today, but I must admit it doesn't happens as much as before and usually feel silly for fearing it :)
Hope you find out what it is.

Cheers

Sensei
08-05-2013, 08:46 AM
The faster your computer is, the probability decreases.
Something 'wrong' that takes 1 milisecond on one computer, on 1000x faster will take 1 microsecond.
In the first case human could get it 1/1000 chance in second and 999/1000 not having it.
In other case he will have 1/1000000 chance to get it in second and 999999/1000000 not getting it.

Definitely VPR cannot be used with any other previewing plugin such as Fprime or mine at the same time.
Nodes, textures etc. will receive multiple Init/NewTime/Cleanup from different previewing tools, which will unpredictably confuse them (depending how and what particular node etc. is doing in these functions; usually they allocate memory and free memory and do some pre multiplications).