PDA

View Full Version : Modeller question

lightmax7
07-29-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm using 11.5 and Modeling using magic bevel. I have selected one polygon out of a very intricate model to do a magic bevel. The problem is my other model that I'm using as a guide is also very intricate and is very difficult to wrap my beveled tentacle down in and around.

Is there a way to make the background layer a non wire-frame, Like hiding the unseen polygons?

Because Magic Bevel will allow you to bevel with one layer active only.

Amurrell
07-29-2013, 09:08 AM
You have to hide the polygons you don't want to see in the background layer, other than that, the background layer has only one draw type.

JoePoe
07-29-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm using 11.5 and Modeling using magic bevel. I have selected one polygon out of a very intricate model to do a magic bevel. The problem is my other model that I'm using as a guide is also very intricate and is very difficult to wrap my beveled tentacle down in and around.

Is there a way to make the background layer a non wire-frame, Like hiding the unseen polygons?

Because Magic Bevel will allow you to bevel with one layer active only.

Unless something has changed Magic Bevel CAN be used while multiple layers are active.
It will only work,however, on the first visible layer of active geometry.
So as long as your guide layer comes after what you're beveling, you should be fine.

lightmax7
07-29-2013, 09:19 AM
My problem is that I need those polygons also as I am wrapping the bevel around it. I can't switch back and forth otherwise I wont be able to edit the path while needing to make adjustments.

Thanks

lightmax7
07-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Unless something has changed Magic Bevel CAN be used while multiple layers are active.
It will only work,however, on the first visible layer of active geometry.
So as long as your guide layer comes after what you're beveling, you should be fine.

No matter how I select the layers, The single polygon that I have selected will not have the guide knot on it, only the other layer will have the guides. Very frustrating.

Any more ideas?

JoePoe
07-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Not the order you select layers..... but the order that they are in the layer boxes.

And, I believe Magic Bevel doesn't work on selected polys. All the geometry in the layer will have handles (again, unless something has changed). Of course on the object to be beveled, you can hide the geometry you don't want to have handles.

Image below.... the sphere is in the first visible layer. The two layers with boxes are also active.
If I were to move the box in the last layer to the first layer (still keeping all layers active) then Magic Bevel would make that box the active geometry with handles.

hrgiger
07-29-2013, 10:00 AM
try using the hidden line display mode. will make the background layer easier to decipher. although im away from my computer at the moment im not sure if hidden line works on background layers.

another thought i had. why not use your intricate model, select points on it that follow along a path that you want your bevel geometry to follow, copy and paste them to another layer, and then use those to create a spline and then use that as a guide for your magic bevel. might need some slight adjustments after its created but might get you most of the way.

lightmax7
07-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Not the order you select layers..... but the order that they are in the layer boxes.

And, I believe Magic Bevel doesn't work on selected polys. All the geometry in the layer will have handles (again, unless something has changed). Of course on the object to be beveled, you can hide the geometry you don't want to have handles.

Image below.... the sphere is in the first visible layer. The two layers with boxes are also active.
If I were to move the box in the last layer to the first layer (still keeping all layers active) then Magic Bevel would make that box the active geometry with handles.
Unfortunately the hidden line wont work in the background layer. I wish it would, maybe could be a new feature?

And your latter suggestion is a good work around, but I wish it was easier to work with, I'm doing blood vessels and interlocking the veins and arteries.

lightmax7
07-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks JoePoe, That worked!

I'm so happy to be in this community of lightwave users and gurus, It is a great resource! You Rock!