PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Redemption

EmperorPete
11-12-2003, 07:38 AM
I finally finished the first part of my Transformers animation. It is by NO means perfect, but I don;t think it's too bad for something put together on a 750Mhz P3 with 192Mb of RAM ;)
90Mb ZIP file, MPEG video (http://www.dailyrhetoric.com/ep01/EpisodeOne.zip)
Let me know what you think; comments and crits are welcomed :)

Shade01
11-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Wow, 90 megs???:eek: It better be like an hour long or HDTV quality. I would look at it but I want to see some sweet screen caps first to make me want to endure a 90 meg download.

veljko
11-13-2003, 03:20 AM
bit to rich for my blood..maby put a shorter version for us poor guys with 56k modems:)

or just post a few snapshots?

FenrirWolf
11-13-2003, 12:37 PM
I agree. Post a few screenshots, sweeten the deal for those who are stuck in narrowband. (You could also recompress this using Divx and make a low-quality version. I'm sure you could get this down to around 10 megs or so.) I nabbed this from work using our uber-fast connection (90m - around 20 secs download ;)), and here's my impressions on a play by play basis.

Hmm. Almost one minute into the animation and just text. Lots of text. This happens, that happens. Spice this up by adding at least a few animated stills showing snippets from the major plot items. Like, Earth blowing up and stuff. Make these sepia-tone, so we know these are "past events".

Two minutes in -- and we get the title. And we're still a million kilometers from what I suppose is Cybertron. Tighten up this intro, move the title closer to the beginning.

Aha, yes it is. Welcome to planet Cut-and-Paste! Add some variety here. :)

Make the voices more mechanized. But then again, I'm just thinking how they sounded in the movie/TV series.
The lip syncing on Megatron needs some work. These are robots so I guess you can excuse a little bit of stiffness, but I still think it could be improved.

Beam swords, nice touch. Harks back to the original TV series when Megatron and Prime used to fight with Energon weapons.

Wow, when he falls off the cliff, that looks REAL stiff. Add a little leg movement, make his arms flex backwards slightly. He should be anticipating what he's about to do.

Maybe it's just the video encoding but, that slow-mo flying sword chop is just a blur.

The hitting wall-and-falling-down part is also pretty stiff. Have his arms flail about or something. Add a little camera shake.

Heh, the transformation scene looks straight outta the cartoon, nice touch.

On FortMax's facial closeup, there seems to be some twitchiness to the eyebrows. I'm supposing you animated it via endomorphs; Might want to smooth it out a bit, check and make sure any polygons aren't excessively cattywompy.

"You're in trouble now." He raises his arm; More stiffness.

His expression of shock would be more convincing if his body also moved somewhat; Hunkered down, as if in defeat.

Prime's face squishes too much when he frowns upon reactivating, in the center.

I like your grimey Transformer models. It's a more realistic feel than things like Mainframe's too-clean-looking versions. They remind me more of Dreamwave's redesigned look for the Transformers in their new comics.

Overall, I'd say the animation needs more work when it comes to movements. You should pick up some books on animation. I recommend Timothy Albee's "Lightwave 3D 7.0 Character Animation." You might want to pick up a few 2D animation books too, and learn about animation concepts like anticipation, squash-and-stretch, natural arc movements, and weight. Understanding these will immensely improve this animation and all future ones.

(BTW, I didn't comment much on the sound, as I had to listen to this with the volume turned way down for most of it.)

Cageman
11-13-2003, 05:35 PM
I agree to what FenrirWolf just wrote. Just one thing though... Megatron feels very stiff when he sits in his chair, talking to Starscream (that was Starscream, wasnt it?).

I enjoyed watching it though, and Im looking forward to see the next episode!

riki
11-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Screenies please before such a large download.

veljko
11-14-2003, 01:15 AM
Waiting for the stills:)?

Is it soou dificult to press "print screen" and post it here?:)

EmperorPete
11-14-2003, 02:29 AM
I have put a gallery of stills up here (http://ebozz.50free.net/album.php?UserName=emperorpete&ViewPass=&album=23). Should have done that before; sorry guys.
FenrirWolf: thank you for the crits. I can adress one or two of them:
The opening is long for two reasons;
1- there will be flashbacks in future episodes
2- the overall aim is for the episodes to link together into a "movie" of sorts. The animation was done primarily for the TF fandom, as an unofficial continuation of Marvel's Transformers: Generation 2 storyline (in that respect, at least, it has succeeded; since I first uploaded to it on October 31st it has been downloaded more than 3500 times). Because of this, it is mainly geared towards fans who already know the backstory.
Being the first thing I have ever animated, I understand fully your crits in that respect. The hwole thing was animated over the course of 2 years, learning as I went. The PC I made it on was woefully underpowered, and had a very naff gfx card (I was working on a budget of what I already had, basically), so I couldn't get a lot of the animation right. Thank you for the nook suggestions; I will see what I can rustle up, and try to buy a copy.
On the upside, I am glad you liked the models ;)

Mechannicus
11-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Grr ummghhmmmm big Mechs...!!!

Arrhh I love what youve done!!! ghh (can you tell im a transformers fan? heheh) seriously thats sopme sweet stuff i likes

~DD~Apocalypse
11-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by veljko
bit to rich for my blood..maby put a shorter version for us poor guys with 56k modems:)

or just post a few snapshots?

neener neener neeeeneeerrrrr :D

~DD~Apocalypse
11-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Might wanna get some better sounds for that, and starsceam's voice sounds more screechy.
other WOW!

thats friggin awesome!
one more suggestion... the fight scene? give the guy with the swords more range of movement, make his legs bent back and arm out while hes jumping, and make him crouch when he lands. just a suggestion, remember these guys aren't like a regular robot, they can move as we do.

anieves
12-01-2003, 09:21 AM
watched your short and enjoyed it but have a couple of pointers.

Let the dialog stand out; the music is trough the whole film becomes very distracting and mood of the scenes is lost. Sometimes the dialog is overpowered by the music. The music job doesn't help to tell the story.

Also, the graph editor is your friend, fine tune your motion curves, ease in and ease out to fine tune and get rid of sudded distracting motions.

I agree that you should post screenshots!:)

looking forward episode 2