PDA

View Full Version : How to speed up modeler - 2.5 millions polys.

Taro Yoshimoto
07-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi. Any tricks to speed up modeler (settings?) with high polys objects? Layout is acting ok but modeler is constantly freezing for minutes. Unworkable.

i7 3ghz, 12gb of ram. GTX 285. LW 11.5

thanks

Phil
07-28-2013, 09:16 PM
The usual :

hide geometry you're not working on
try to avoid having large numbers of layers - Modeler gets slower with increasing numbers of layers
try and break the geometry up into separate objects if possible; only load those objects you need when working
don't use GLSL mode

You can also try and use Ikeda's additions to Modeler in 11.5(.1) - see the addendum. They should help in some specific cases, but the interchange from the two mesh engines will cause Modeler to appear to stall as you start and exit those tools.

In general, Modeler is just not designed for heavy geometry - it's a long standing fundamental flaw.

Lewis
07-29-2013, 12:37 AM
In addition what Phil said, be sure to Turn off transparency and use VBO mode. But essentially it's not solvable if you already have those things in order 'coz modeler is just damn SLOW for editing geometry. Layout is not much better either but since you aren't editing geometry but just thumbling (modeler is OK-ish at tumbling views too) you can't see it in layout and fact that you have BoundingBox in laoyut helps speeding up things. I often wanted to have BBox option in modeler too :).

All in all you need different modeling application if is too slow for your mesh if you set all those settings already :(.

MarcusM
07-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Work on one window instead four ;]

tyrot
07-29-2013, 01:01 AM
you can't see it in layout and fact that you have BoundingBox in laoyut helps speeding up things. I often wanted to have BBox option in modeler too :).

The only thing i asked for modeler ! the only thing... BBOX option...

Waves of light
07-29-2013, 02:13 AM
The only thing i asked for modeler ! the only thing... BBOX option...

Surely that would be an easy one to implement, surely?

Taro Yoshimoto
07-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Like you guys say, thumbling is fast enough. Deleting polys is aweful... the computer freeze for like 5min. It's more CPU related than GPU obviously.

As for using an external modeler... what about surfacing?

Cageman
07-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Turning on Simple Wireframe Edges and Points speeds things up by an order of magnitude.

OlaHaldor
07-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Does it do anything to the aesthetics, Cageman? Or is it kind of a "behind the scenes" kind of thing?

Lewis
07-29-2013, 08:04 AM
It's little jaggier on points/edges but nothing too important. BUT on 2.5mil polys there is no such thing which will help anyone edit that mesh in modeler, tumbling yes that work OK with proper GL settings (as already described) but editing, sadly but nope :(.

LW_Will
07-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Taro I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version of 11.6. I know I'm crazy, but it just feels faster, more stable and a bit more ram efficient.

hrgiger
07-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Yup, editing that 2.5 million polygons in modeler, nothing is going to help that. At least nothing short of a new geometry engine.

JamesCurtis
07-29-2013, 10:47 PM
I feel your pain! I've been working on projects for clients doing animations of actual converted machinery models. Some of them have been down to nuts and bolts in detail. I've used plugins for Modeler to help reduce polygon counts where I can.

ianr
07-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Yoshimoto San,
You one lucky guy, it seems they have answered your quest

and built ChronoSculpt for your needs.

Nigel Baker
07-30-2013, 01:29 PM
This is a great thread, sometimes I have felt that it is always my machines or I need a new graphics card or to change platforms so its good to hear these views but terrible to know that it is our beloved Lightwave.
Some great tips, thanks everyone.

erikals
07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Modeler - speeding up point selections >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW0FBuSNQnI

erikals
07-30-2013, 03:17 PM
a bit on OpenGL speed >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LWsRrHnul8

erikals
07-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Plugin - Toggle Subpatch Speed >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw7J_q6Kuuc

erikals
07-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Boolean Speed >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K-AWgwQnSA

erikals
07-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Smooth Threshold Speed >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWBYThz-Zo

Cageman
07-30-2013, 03:29 PM
It's little jaggier on points/edges but nothing too important. BUT on 2.5mil polys there is no such thing which will help anyone edit that mesh in modeler, tumbling yes that work OK with proper GL settings (as already described) but editing, sadly but nope :(.

True! That said, with those settings turned on, selection is much faster on denser objects, but as most of us know, doing anything with the selection is kind of a pain, if you aren't using any of the tools that were introduced with LW11.5 that uses an alternative mesh-system.

erikals
07-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Freezed SubDiv Speed >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG8Sgms5ZM0

hrgiger
07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
The bad part is that even hiding geometry does very little to help. Modeler is still unbearably slow on a heavy mesh even with 99.9% of it hidden. I notice only marginal improvements vs the unhidden mesh with editing.

erikals
07-30-2013, 06:18 PM
really? i just tested it on a 250.000 object, it did help, not as much as i'd wanted it too, but it did help some.
(testing manual point selection) (no lasso)

that said, 250.000 polys might not be all that much...

(see post #16...)

hrgiger
07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
As I said, marginal improvements. And I'm talking about editing the mesh as in moving components around. The real meat of the issue. Not selection.

erikals
07-30-2013, 06:41 PM
hm, after hiding, from my tests i couldn't find that, what tools are you referring to?

hrgiger
07-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Other then maybe the new tools in 11.5 which I haven't tested as of yet on an object over 100K polys, pretty much all of LW's tools. Its not a tool issue though so which tool is irrelavent. But for the sake of the discussion, even just the move tool. The problem is LW's geometry handler.

erikals
07-30-2013, 06:50 PM
well, as far as this quote goes, this just doesn't add up to me, if you could explain further, for example make a video, it'd be much more clear to everybody.

The bad part is that even hiding geometry does very little to help. Modeler is still unbearably slow on a heavy mesh even with 99.9% of it hidden. I notice only marginal improvements vs the unhidden mesh with editing.

hrgiger
07-30-2013, 07:18 PM
well, as far as this quote goes, this just doesn't add up to me, if you could explain further, for example make a video, it'd be much more clear to everybody.

Sure. Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-zLleiDF3A&feature=youtu.be

erikals
07-30-2013, 07:36 PM
thanks, though of course much faster than the normal speed, i see what you mean now.

strangely enough, i was able to get it back to normal speed when i either >
1- inverted the selection, then cut out the area i wanted to hide, did the editing, then pasted back and merged
2- inverted the selection, then cut out the area i wanted to hide, then pasted it to a new temporary layer, did the editing, and pasted / merged back the object.

maybe there should be made a script that did it...

(as a temporary work-around)

hrgiger
07-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Of course. Because its no longer connected to the dense mesh. Which is why you don't suffer the same slowness when you work on a different layer. But I've heard that once you add enough layers, you also get a slowdown. I've never been one to split my model up into pieces over several layers. I always try to keep it 10 or under so I don't have to switch to a new set of layers. PITA if you ask me. But do you mean cut out and paste back on the same layer? Because I still get the slowdown even if I cut a small piece out and paste back on the same layer as the dense mesh.

Cutting a piece of your model out is fine if you're doing a lot of work in one area for an extended period. But if you're tweaking an overall mesh, adding bevels or other details to larger pieces that span the model or adding many seperate details over the surface of a model, I would hate to have to cut out each part of the mesh as I went just to get a workable speed, script or no script.

BTW, the model I was showing in video was only 16% in polygon count compared to the 2.5 million that he is talking about in this thread. Would even be slower for him by as much as 6 times what I was showing. If the slowdown is linear anyway...

erikals
07-30-2013, 08:02 PM
yeah, well, painting displacements in modeler on a 2.5 million poly object is pretty much a no go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DND_ExWfQs

as for architectural stuff, cutting and pasting rooms etc is easier / more doable.
i guess i'd use a plugin "move to first empty layer" for that...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/cp_sendtobg

still, of course, far from optimal...

Taro Yoshimoto
07-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Just a follow up on the original post. As the original model was made in C4D, I went to the office and did the job in C4D. The time I saved not texturing the model, I used to learn a bit about C4D rendering and lighting. I got nice and fast results now. Of course I would be more at home in LW but the job was rush and the budget not very high. That mean I dont care too much if the results are not exactly how I wanted it.

Thanks for all the tricks on this thread. Very previous data.