PDA

View Full Version : IKBooster vs NevronMotion

erikals
07-28-2013, 07:53 AM
hi there,
i wonder now if the IKB mocap route is worth it, now that we got Nevron-Motion...

any insights on that?

wesleycorgi
07-28-2013, 08:32 AM
I think IK Booster can be used to extend out the functionality of Nevron/mocap data. The beauty (and perhaps pitfall) of LW is that there are many ways to accomplish something.

Ryan Roye
07-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Considering I don't own Nevron I can only comment on the IKBooster side of things:

-You can use it to correct foot placement. If your mocap rig has jittery legs, it is very easy to eliminate that problem with fixing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSEsU6trnhE). Still not an automatic solution, but it does work.

- As long as your mocap solution doesn't produce XYZ keyframes, you can use IKBooster saved motions on any rig that is *identically* built (mocap falls under this category). If the mocap solution has xyz keys you'll need to delete them before using that function. (or just use map motion/hmot saver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7pyLdSIp4Y)). You can also fade in/out entire animations similar to how it works with motion mixer this way. You can also use this property to re-use certain parts of mocap on certain parts of the body easily. IE: You have 2 mocap anims... one of a person waving, and one of a person walking. If you wanted to create an animation of a person walking and waving, IKBooster lets you mix these two mocap animations easily.

- Apply keys allows you to adjust baked animation using falloffs (or flat). If you want the mocap rig, for instance, to have their hips lowered for the entire animation, or you want them to duck under an obstacle for X amount of frames, you can use apply keys to do this.

- Keyframe mode settings allow you to determine what parts of the rig are affected when you delete keyframes, among other things.

- You can articulate and modify the rig however you want without affecting the base animation. This includes adding goal targets to the limbs. This allows mixture of hand-keyed animation with the mocap animation.

...and not that its practical to the average user, but with .LWS hacking you can use boosterlink to take the entirety of the scene's contents and make all animated elements driven by a single null.

If I'm missing anything, feel free to chime in! :) I imagine Nevron has the advantage of a more visual editing workflow (IKBooster is more "iterative") and that it handles capture of kinect mocap performances.

erikals
07-28-2013, 09:20 AM
some good points there Ryan, especially the first one, foot fixing.
and combining upper / lower body anims.

if you go the IKBooster route, is there any need for NevronMotion as far as editing goes?
it looks like importing / applying the .bvh is easier in Nevron.. ?

---------------------------------

btw, for cleaning up mocap, (jittery animation) i guess these could be of use >

Keystrainer (32 bit) - https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/keystrainer
Key Reducer (32/64) - https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/key-reducer

RebelHill
07-28-2013, 09:35 AM
There's much that IKB cant do... retargeting, can only copy motions between rigs that have the same orientations (and names obv)... but, all that allowed for, it has a lot of great stuff for editing and blending motion clips together which... it appears for the moment at least... Nevron is lacking.

So I dont think there's gonna be much in the way of one vs the other... but rather different things that you do in each. Capture and retarget in Nevron, cleanup and edit in IKB. Might be a little bit weird as a pipeline, and is clearly gonna need to work in "steps" (as the 2 arent integrated with one another)... but it'll certainly offer a lot to folk. Ofc, I imagine that much of the editing functionality will, in future, find its way into Nevron proper, obviating some or all of the IKB necessity in time, but for now there's clearly gonna be much to be gained from using them together rather than seeing them as in opposition.

Ryan Roye
07-28-2013, 11:33 AM
There's much that IKB cant do... retargeting.

Not automatically anyways. Apply keys functions allow for manual retargetting functions. This means offsetting the rotations relative to the difference between the rest pose and animation by doing a "flat apply" operation on the animation.

So, possible yes, but certainly not as convenient as an automatic solution.

RebelHill
07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Im aware of the function, however it works based on the absolute positions of things... its doesnt rescale the motion relative to the character space... which is what a true retarget is. Its kinda like using motionbuilders "match source" mode of a fashion.

Ryan Roye
07-28-2013, 07:30 PM
its doesnt rescale the motion relative to the character space...

If you say so. Here's some re-targeting I whipped up real quick with IKBooster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17GSpvsSjI

I'm not saying IKBooster's functions replace any program that is more specialized towards mocap editing. I just think it needs to be said that it is capable of handling the job pretty nicely without the need to go out and buy external programs/plugins. This includes the functions similar or identical to retargeting.

EDIT: video link fixed... I have a nasty habit of selecting "private" instead of "unlisted". I prefer not to send my subscribers test videos.

Sekhar
07-28-2013, 07:44 PM
If you say so. Here's some re-targeting I whipped up real quick with IKBooster....

You may need to fix perms, says the video is private.

LW_Will
07-29-2013, 11:22 AM
I think that idea is to use Nevron AND IK Booster together... along with Genoma.

You know, like aspects of the same program...