PDA

View Full Version : LWCad shingles - I always create a mess; does anybody know how it works?

madno
07-28-2013, 04:14 AM
Hi,
I made endless atempts to create shingles with LWCad 4.x (tried different versions) in LW 11 to LW11.5.1.
Tried will all variantions of geometry I was able to build. Whatever I do, the result is always a big mess.
One example of how I tried it (a simple one) is shown in the screen shots.
I appreaciate any help as I run out of any ideas what I am doing wrong.

hrgiger
07-28-2013, 06:05 AM
did you click on the roof in the top viewport?

Waves of light
07-28-2013, 06:08 AM
Not at my pc at the moment, but I will check this when I get back. Things to look out for:

1. do you have the latest build of LWCAD?
2. try reseting your UCS to auto.
3. Do not select the geometry first. instead select singles (with no polys selected) and then click on one of the roof sections. then repeat for the rest (in should then keep the settings)
4. finally, ii have seen this before when my geometry for the roof wasn't a quad poly. or had additional points but looked like a quad. use the cleanup routine in LWCAD before retrying to use singles.

Ricky.

madno
07-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Guys,
you are my heroes. "Click in the top viewport!" Damn, that was it. I was clicking in the 3D view like in Victor's videos all the time. Days of trials and the solution is so simple. :bowdown:

But now one more quetion arised. I clicked one polygon in the topview and LWCad populated the whole roof at once. But the number of shingle rows for the different sides of the roof differs now. Is something I can do to solve this?

hrgiger
07-28-2013, 09:44 AM
viktor was most likely using the UCS system in LWCAD which is like a workplane so he could do that in the perspective view.

Waves of light
07-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Ok, not seen that before. But now that we (well hrgiger) has solved your first issue, you can now select the parts of the roof you want to shingle, then select shingle and click on the top view port. If it is stepping the shingles, then I would look to unclean geometry. I've just had a quick test and couldn't get it to break like that, even whilst messing about with the shingle settings.

EDIT: You could, to test this, copy just the parts of the roof you want to shingle to a separate layer. Then run the shingle routine and see if it produces the same results. If it doesn't, then you can copy and paste the correct version back to your previous layer.

madno
07-28-2013, 12:36 PM
I tried with USC fixed, but I am not sure if I was doing it right. I wil try more.
Right now, i can't solve this Y sizing thing. Tried Waves' tip (use individual parts of the geometry). But still get the same effect after "shingleing". Maybe there is something wrong with my roof. I just can't find out what. Geometry is attached in case you have the time to take a look. Could the normals be relevant? I am again running out of ideas. Anyway, thanks for your effort.
(made in LW 11.5.1, LWCad 4.5.1).

Waves of light
07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Ok, this is by no means conclusive, but your roof was EDIT: (sorry I didn't mean double-sided) meant double sided geometry - so the roof looks like it has an outside part and inside part. So I copied the upper side to a new layer. Ran 'shingles' and RMB clicked on the top view port. I have attached the resulting roof. Hope this helps and is what you wanted. I'm sure I read/watch somewhere that for shingles to work properly they had to be quad polys, but it does seem to work on your roof.

Regards,

Ricky.

madno
07-28-2013, 01:41 PM
I get more and more confused. I thought double sided can be checked via surfaces. The *.lwo I posted shows "not double sided". Is there another place to check for that except of the surface editor?
And when opening your *lwo I still see different y sizing of the shingles. Could that be related to different versions of the software? LW 11.5.1 and LWCad 4.5.1 on my side?
115920 115919

Strange, but thanks a lot for having a look into it.

Waves of light
07-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Sorry, didn't mean double-sided, I meant it had double sided geometry, a very small thickness. I was using LW11.5 and LWCAD 4.5. If you look at my version and your version from above (top view port) what's the difference in shingle shift?

hrgiger
07-28-2013, 02:14 PM
No, Ricky is talking about your geometry, not the double sided option in the surface editor which each polygon visible from both sides. I will have a look at it and get back in a little bit.

hrgiger
07-28-2013, 02:26 PM
I didn't have any issues with the roof, worked fine here. It doesn't seem to make a difference that his geometry has thickenss. After all, LWCAD roofs create bottom polygons which do not get shingles so it shouldn't matter here either. Ricky did you try putting shingles on the roof before you cut the top polygons to a different layer? Because I just loaded the Shingle.lwo file, hit shingles in LWCAD, clicked in the top viewport and the roof was done as expected.

Waves of light
07-28-2013, 02:37 PM
No mate. Just been back and tried shingles without doing anything to the geometry first and it works as expected. I can see, how at certain viewing angles it may look like a shingle shift, but if you look above you can see where the singles match and cut. Wonder what else to try... what's the shingle type. Is it a new preset or an old one being used in a new version of LWCAD?

hrgiger
07-28-2013, 04:09 PM
That's a thought. I know that when I made new presets and re-made older ones for version 4.5, I had several reports of presets not working. Upon further investigation found out they were still using presets made for earlier versions of LWCAD and when they got my new pack of presets, they just added the new ones on top of the old so they had a mix of old and new. There were changes to shape library and specifically to shingles in version 4.5 and older presets are not compatiable.

hrgiger
07-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Oh I couldn't tell what you were pointing at in your pics madno but I think you mean the shingles don't match up from one part of the roof to the next? I didn't get that result but if you need to solve that for now as a short term solution, you can do each part seperately so you can adjust each one so its lined up. Otherwise I would send object and explanation to Viktor at WTools and see what he has to say.

madno
07-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Youre are right. There is no problem with the shingles. I took one each from two sides of the roof, rotated them, and can see they are of the same size.

The row offset is a visual thing caused by the different angles of the roof sides (of course there must be an offset if the shingles are of the same size but the angle is different, simple math - stupid me :twak: seems so my brain is a :beta: version).

Thanks a lot again. I was already in the state to make the shingles by hand. With your help (and Victor's) its just a mouse click and a little clean up. :)

Philbert
07-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Glad to see you got this fixed. I'm actually in the middle of making a tutorial on LWCad for 3D World and I'm working on the shingles part right now. Funny.

madno
07-29-2013, 01:16 AM
Philbert,
will it be 3D World exclusive;
which issue of 3D World?
I don't want to miss it.

Waves of light
07-29-2013, 01:53 AM
cool Phil as there aren't that many LWCAD tuts about. look forward to it.

Philbert
07-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Yes, 3D World prefers to have exclusive tutorials. I'm not sure which issue yet, they haven't sent my commission forms yet. It's on a traditional style Japanese house. Here's the test I sent them before I started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNHUglp23X8

Philbert
08-08-2013, 09:55 PM
BTW I've finished up and sent in the tutorial. It should be in issue 174.

Waves of light
08-09-2013, 01:21 AM
BTW I've finished up and sent in the tutorial. It should be in issue 174.

Cool. Will check it out Phil.

DonJMyers
08-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Once I googled their image search looking for "shingles" and was reward with the most horrifying herpest photos ever. I mean kids with herpes in their eyes! YUK!

Philbert
08-09-2013, 09:15 PM
LOL There's a medicine commercial with a guy descrbing his shingles in really graphic detail and they always run this ad at dinner time.

Philbert
09-10-2013, 02:54 PM
FYI the issue with my tutorial is out in print in the UK and digital versions elsewhere. The US print version comes early October.

http://www.3dworldmag.com/2013/09/10/master-the-art-of-hair-fur-in-zbrush-find-out-the-winners-of-the-cg-awards-2013-and-more/