PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "Ultimate Guide to Gun and Engine FX" and other title

Sebasvideo
07-27-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm a huge Battlestar Galactica fan and I'm planning on buying Lightwave in the not too distant future. Searching online for a free mesh of a Viper MKII to mess around with (I currently use Modo) I learned about two training titles, "Ultimate Guide to Gun and Engine FX" by Kat Myers and "Lightwave 3D Advanced Texturing and Rendering Project Viper" by Kevin Phillips, both published by the now defunct Kurv Studios. Googling these titles only brings a bunch of pirate websites, as well as stories of how Kurv Studios ripped off its artists big time. I searched eBay and they're not there, so I figured I would ask here, perhaps somebody bought them when they were released and would be willing to sell them to me, as long as it's not too expensive.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Spinland
07-27-2013, 07:59 PM
While I don't know of a source for getting copies of those training videos, you can get the fully textured Viper model from the video series here:

http://www.liberty3d.com/2010/09/classic-viper-spacecraft-free-textured-model/

nickdigital
07-27-2013, 08:08 PM
It looks like Kelly Myers did that tutorial. He actually runs Liberty3D so he would definitely be the one to reach out to.

Sebasvideo
07-27-2013, 08:09 PM
It looks like Kelly Myers did that tutorial. He actually runs Liberty3D so he would definitely be the one to reach out to.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I had already asked him, but he doesn't have it.

Riff_Masteroff
07-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Well, the Viper model is free. I believe the training titles you are looking for are "no longer available". That being said, I would suggest getting (email) in contact with Kelly "Kat" Meyers directly at Liberty3d.com. I am sure he has the vids somewhere on his 'puter.

Note that methods become dated. Newer versions of the same software don't lend themselves to old techniques. Just ask Dave Jerrard.

Kevin Phillips

Whoops: you got lotsa replies, minutes apart, saying appox. the same.

Sebasvideo
07-27-2013, 08:10 PM
While I don't know of a source for getting copies of those training videos, you can get the fully textured Viper model from the video series here:

Thanks, that's pretty cool. I found the MKII as well somewhere else, although the textures are not too realistic, so that gives me a chance to redo them and learn more about texturing.

Spinland
07-27-2013, 08:16 PM
The three BSG titles I have from KURV are two "Project Viper" ones, one for advanced modeling and one for advanced texturing/rendering, both by Kevin Philips. I also have one for modeling a Cylon raider by Adam Gibson. Not sure what happened to the rights for them when KURV went away, maybe Kelly wasn't able to secure them. I'm afraid I'm not interested in parting with my copies, but maybe the authors themselves can still be contacted? I have no idea where Kevin hangs out these days but I know Adam still does videos at Liberty3D.

Sebasvideo
07-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Note that methods become dated. Newer versions of the same software don't lend themselves to old techniques. Just ask Dave Jerrard.

I figured they are a bit dated, but I recently got the BSG Blu-ray box set and I'm watching the whole thing again. If I could learn how to do something that looks anywhere close to BSG I'd be more than happy. What I'm trying to focus on now is how to render things that look as real as possible, especially in sci-fi.

Spinland
07-27-2013, 08:39 PM
I found a website by Kevin. It seems a bit dated but there's a contact link to an email address he might still check.

http://www.kevman3d.com/about.asp

Markc
07-28-2013, 04:19 AM
I figured they are a bit dated, but I recently got the BSG Blu-ray box set and I'm watching the whole thing again. If I could learn how to do something that looks anywhere close to BSG I'd be more than happy. What I'm trying to focus on now is how to render things that look as real as possible, especially in sci-fi.
Even though there not BSG specific, check out Kat's other Sci-Fi vids at Liberty 3D, you won't be disappointed (i.e Practical production Techniques, Advanced Space Scene Creation series)
Also there is a sale on until end of July!

wesleycorgi
07-28-2013, 06:31 AM
I have no idea where Kevin hangs out these days but I know Adam still does videos at Liberty3D.

Kevin is also a Liberty 3D guy. So if the OP hasnt yet, try turning on the 'bat signal" at the Liberty 3D forums: http://liberty3d.com/forums/index.php

Sebasvideo
07-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Even though there not BSG specific, check out Kat's other Sci-Fi vids at Liberty 3D, you won't be disappointed (i.e Practical production Techniques, Advanced Space Scene Creation series)
Also there is a sale on until end of July!

I will eventually, Kat told me which videos are the best to learn sci-fi stuff, and even better, he's working on a series of training videos based on Iron Sky, which is very exciting because it's one of my favorite movies, both in terms of story and VFX. But first I have to come up with the $695 to upgrade Lightwave, so the other training will have to wait a little bit. These couple of videos I want to get my hands on them as soon as I can because they are not sold anywhere, so my only chance is to find somebody who has them.

LW_Will
07-29-2013, 10:37 AM
$495 for the special Siggraph Upgrade for Lightwave until the July 31st!

Just saying...

Sebasvideo
07-29-2013, 10:48 AM
$495 for the special Siggraph Upgrade for Lightwave until the July 31st!

Just saying...

Where is that? The store page shows a $1295 for the full version, but the upgrade shows at $695.

Sebasvideo
07-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Oh, I found it, it's there if you go through a different link. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of that, because I bought LW8 on eBay two days ago, and the seller is shipping it today but from Alaska using 3 day Priority Mail, which wouldn't get here in time. Also the tracking says it requires my signature, and since I will be at work when the mail comes I'll probably have to drive like 20 miles to the distribution center to retrieve it, a day or two after it comes, so the whole process will take several days, way past 7/31.

nickdigital
07-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Oh, I found it, it's there if you go through a different link. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of that, because I bought LW8 on eBay two days ago, and the seller is shipping it today but from Alaska using 3 day Priority Mail, which wouldn't get here in time. Also the tracking says it requires my signature, and since I will be at work when the mail comes I'll probably have to drive like 20 miles to the distribution center to retrieve it, a day or two after it comes, so the whole process will take several days, way past 7/31.

Maybe you can reach out to Customer Support. Pay for your upgrade now and then they can apply it to your copy when you get it. It's worth a shot to save $200 bucks.

Sebasvideo
07-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Maybe you can reach out to Customer Support. Pay for your upgrade now and then they can apply it to your copy when you get it. It's worth a shot to save $200 bucks.

I emailed both the seller and customer support to see if I can upgrade once the license has been transferred, even if I don't have the physical product yet, that is, if the license can actually be transferred before I get the physical product. We'll see what they say. I don't think I could pay for the upgrade before the license shows in my account, I believe that's a requirement.

Spinland
07-29-2013, 12:22 PM
To register the license to your account all you need, IIRC, is the license code. Can you get that in email from the seller and get the ball rolling that way?

Sebasvideo
07-29-2013, 12:29 PM
To register the license to your account all you need, IIRC, is the license code. Can you get that in email from the seller and get the ball rolling that way?

What does the Illinois Interactive Report Card (IIRC) have to do with this? :)

I already contacted the seller, as far as I know he was going to do the transfer with Newtek, but that may take a day. If I don't know anything by the end of the day I will email him again. I don't mind if it takes a day to get the transfer done, as long as it is before the end of 7/31.