PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade requirements and other questions.

Sebasvideo
07-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Hello, I was going to email Newtek but I figured no one will reply until Monday. I was wondering if upgrade prices are different depending on which version you upgrade from. On LW's website it says an upgrade license is $695, but it doesn't specify if it's different depending on which version you're upgrading from.

Another thing I'd like to know is if you can buy a used version of Lightwave from years ago, let's say LW 8, on eBay or some other way, and register it as your own to be eligible to upgrade to the latest version. If the seller had registered it with Newtek, and I register the same serial, would it not allow me to register, or how does it work?

The last thing I'd like to know is about networking. If you have a couple of extra computers at home, can you install Lightwave in all of them with the same license and use them as render nodes? Or do you need a special license for that?

Thanks,

Sebastian

nickdigital
07-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Hello, I was going to email Newtek but I figured no one will reply until Monday. I was wondering if upgrade prices are different depending on which version you upgrade from. On LW's website it says an upgrade license is $695, but it doesn't specify if it's different depending on which version you're upgrading from.

No. That upgrade price is from any version. A person upgrading from 10 to 11 pays the same as someone upgrading from version 5 to 11.

Another thing I'd like to know is if you can buy a used version of Lightwave from years ago, let's say LW 8, on eBay or some other way, and register it as your own to be eligible to upgrade to the latest version. If the seller had registered it with Newtek, and I register the same serial, would it not allow me to register, or how does it work?

Yes. The seller will have to coordinate with customer support so they know they're transferring their license to you. That's actually a great way to get 11 if you currently don't own LW. You could find someone trying to sell an older version for cheap, pay the upgrade price and it still might be cheaper than buying a brand new license. If that seller also has plugins, training material, etc then it's an even better deal.

The last thing I'd like to know is about networking. If you have a couple of extra computers at home, can you install Lightwave in all of them with the same license and use them as render nodes? Or do you need a special license for that?

Each bought copy of LW comes with 999 render nodes. That's the unlimited render nodes that's mentioned repeatedly during the Siggraph presentations. I've never heard of someone needing 1000 so it might as well be called unlimited. You don't have to have LW installed on each render slave. If you're nodes can see a network folder and are able to launch the lwsn.exe file then you should be fine.

Sebasvideo
07-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks, that's good to know. What happens, if for whatever reason, the seller doesn't contact Newtek? Can you still transfer the license if you show them proof of the transaction? This is just a hypothetical, I'm just wondering because you never know what people are going to be like, and I don't want to have to keep asking the seller to contact Newtek over and over.

When you get the upgrade, do you get exactly the same stuff you get when getting a full new license, like the extra content, etc?

nickdigital
07-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks, that's good to know. What happens, if for whatever reason, the seller doesn't contact Newtek? Can you still transfer the license if you show them proof of the transaction? This is just a hypothetical, I'm just wondering because you never know what people are going to be like, and I don't want to have to keep asking the seller to contact Newtek over and over.

When you get the upgrade, do you get exactly the same stuff you get when getting a full new license, like the extra content, etc?

That part I don't know. I can't say I've ever heard of that. I suppose Customer Support could disable the other person's account but I think that's territory they don't/shouldn't have to get into.

I was just on ebay and there look to be some deals where the program is still sealed. If you get the dongle then you know you're in the clear. Even though LW can run dongle-less it'd still be good to get the dongle as some 3rd party plugins still rely on it.

I suppose you could always setup payment through an escrow account.

Since it sounds like you plan to upgrade from an older version to 11 then yes, I believe you would get all the content as it'd be the same as buying a new copy.

Sebasvideo
07-27-2013, 06:38 PM
If you get the dongle then you know you're in the clear. Even though LW can run dongle-less it'd still be good to get the dongle as some 3rd party plugins still rely on it.

Well, there's one that seems to be sealed but is a lot more expensive that another one (both ver. 8) that is used, but also has the dongle. So as far as the license goes, the user who has the dongle is the license owner, regardless of who registered it before?

Megalodon2.0
07-27-2013, 06:40 PM
I've purchased more than half a dozen older versions of Lightwave through people in this forum selling their old copies. I have NEVER had one problem. You figure they WANT to sell so they're not going to make it MORE difficult for you. Generally they contact Newtek and after you receive the package from the seller you contact Newtek and they'll help you (you of course can also contact Newtek BEFORE purchase to verify the seller is legit.) Sometimes it can take quite a while for Newtek to get their act together, but I've never had a problem except for the WAITING. Once license transfer will be completed in a few hours, another will take DAYS. Go figure.

nickdigital
07-27-2013, 06:43 PM
In theory yes, cuz it was only recently that you can run LW w/o the dongle.

When you inquire about the product, confirm that they have a serial number in addition to the dongle.

This one looks to have a serial number. It's on the cd sleeve.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWTEK-LIGHTWAVE-3D-V8-0-FULL-LICENSE-USB-DONGLE-/271242497812?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item3f27500f14

This one probably has the serial number on the case but the dongle is covering it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newtek-LIGHTWAVE-3D-8-8-Full-w-Dongle-/321170127792?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item4ac73b3bb0

nickdigital
07-27-2013, 06:47 PM
You could see if these are still available:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136538-Lightwave-10-3D-New-in-Box
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136367-Lightwave-9-XX-180

This user (zimtower) has his on ebay so it's highly unlikely you'll have problems buying/transferring with him/her.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136127-Selling-Lightwave-11-5-USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newtek-LIGHTWAVE-3D-8-8-Full-w-Dongle-/321170127792?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item4ac73b3bb0

For $150 that's a good deal.

Sebasvideo
07-27-2013, 06:58 PM
This one probably has the serial number on the case but the dongle is covering it.

Thanks! I got this one, not only cheaper than the rest, but the description says "I have already contacted NewTek about this sale and they said it is indeed upgradeable and you will be receiving a full commercial license." So even if it's missing the content CD I don't care, I assume that won't make me ineligible to get the content for the new version.

I probably won't be upgrading right now since I'm too low on cash, but I'm wondering if I were to upgrade before 11.6 is released, that's a free update, correct?

Thanks,

Sebastian

- - - Updated - - -

This user (zimtower) has his on ebay so it's highly unlikely you'll have problems buying/transferring with him/her.

For $150 that's a good deal.

Indeed. I guess I bought it while you were typing this :D

nickdigital
07-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks! I got this one, not only cheaper than the rest, but the description says "I have already contacted NewTek about this sale and they said it is indeed upgradeable and you will be receiving a full commercial license." So even if it's missing the content CD I don't care, I assume that won't make me ineligible to get the content for the new version.

I probably won't be upgrading right now since I'm too low on cash, but I'm wondering if I were to upgrade before 11.6 is released, that's a free update, correct?

Thanks,

Sebastian

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed. I guess I bought it while you were typing this :D

I think that one is referring to missing the LW8 content. If you really needed/wanted it I'm sure someone on the forum has it.

Point (11.x) and service (11.x.x) updates are free. Think of it as upgrading to LW11...not specifically 11.6. So you'll get 11 and all the versions associated with it (11.0, 11.0.1, 11.0.2, 11.0.3, 11.5, 11.5.1 and 11.6).