PDA

View Full Version : The add edges tool, how does it work?

mop
11-12-2003, 04:13 AM
Hi,
I am sooooooo new to LW and I need some help.

I'm doing the box modeling a head tutorial and I'm trying to figure out the add edges tool. Sometimes it makes a slice and sometimes it doesn't. I've turned on the grid snap on, but its till doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong? Also what do the numerical percentages stand for when you click on them and I noticed there are large points and small points? If anyone could shed some insight it would be much appreciated.

I'll try to attach a pic to help explain- hope it works.
Regards

Dodgy
11-12-2003, 08:27 AM
For the snapping, you have to put in a value of increment (like 10% would snap to 10, 20, 30,40,50 etc % along the edge) before it wil work fully. The default is .5% which is really too small. Once you put in a big value, it works a whole lot better. Set it first, as it doesn't snap till after you activate it and start pulling edgepoints around. Never had any problem with this.

As for the not cutting certain faces, did you make a selection of faces before applying it?

mop
11-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Still not really working. I wonder if the plugin is playing up, as Lightwave crashes, sometimes after using this tool!!!

omeone
11-12-2003, 01:27 PM
This could be happening because you are actually pulling a point from a different poly which is easy to do with add edges.

Best to keep viewport geometry as simple as possible when using this plug, and as Dodgy says, making a live selection of the polys you want to work on before running it helps a lot.

also put that reference image in a background layer as it is probably the cause of the interference. You'll have to change your backdrop colour from black though if you want to see the background layer.

hth

riki
11-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Check my Modeling Tut's, might help you out http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/