PDA

View Full Version : Scale Drawing

Stephen0523
07-27-2013, 05:39 AM
Hello all. I am often working on projects such as floor displays where working in scale is critical. Could anyone tell me of some good tutorials on how to work in scale and possibly add measurements like those used in AutoCad?
Currently I will have to take screen grabs of my LW object and past it into Illustrator and go from there (very messy)!
I am on a Mac Pro with LW 11.5

UnCommonGrafx
07-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Get LWCAD.
http://wtools3d.com/

(Just got back from AutoCAD training. Ha, we got it GOOD!)

Make models.

Render from layout so that you don't have to do very messy screen grabs in Illustrator.

Waves of light
07-27-2013, 07:29 AM
What Robert said.

Seriously, you won't be disappointed. Take a look at the online help and free tuts http://www.wtools3d.com/online-help.php and check out Viktors youtube channel for further guides: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgTs0m6h8niJm8NtNRW7syQ

JonW
07-27-2013, 09:47 AM
As above!

prometheus
07-27-2013, 02:09 PM
I think you could use sketchup too, I had a pipeline thread of exporting to sketchup with exact scale etc, once in sketchup you could add dimension measurements, which by the way is better to handle than Lw cads from what Ive seen.
Even though Lw cad is great, I think it lacks proper dimension tools, and maybe some good print tools, a tool to drag views in to a print sheet.

As far as Illustrator, I had that figured out some time ago, to export the correct size values when exporting eps format.
I think that should be posted in a thread here, I also got it in some physical papers here at home somewhere.

Michael

Waves of light
07-27-2013, 02:12 PM
As far as Illustrator, I had that figured out some time ago, to export the correct size values when exporting eps format. I think that should be posted in a thread here, I also got it in some physical papers here at home somewhere.

Michael

If you get the chance Michael, a link would be appreciated.

prometheus
07-27-2013, 02:18 PM
If you get the chance Michael, a link would be appreciated.

have to search for that and check my papers, unfortunatly, Newtek hasnīt listned to what I have said for a long time about having specific pipeline sections, it is hard to find things in the search browser, and this is exactly why
I have said it is needed.
on the other hand, I could of course set up my page or keep a better order of things myself:)

Michael

Waves of light
07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks Michael. Can you remember what it was entitled as I search these forums using this syntax in a url address bar:

forums.newtek.com <whatever you want in here>

prometheus
07-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks Michael. Can you remember what it was entitled as I search these forums using this syntax in a url address bar:

forums.newtek.com <whatever you want in here>

no I canīt recall right now, thatīs the problem, I will try search myself, and also check my paper folder of notes.

meanwhile ...not illustrator, but for sketchup you could export 3ds to sketchup, however, you need to triple geometry, and I also didnīt get right scaling, I think I had that covered somewhere too.
Or..you could export out collada format, doesnt require tripling of geometry, and the scale comes in correct without having to do anything else, I did get some warning error messages from sketchup about it might not be correct, but just ignore that.
so once in sketchup you can assign your dimension tools just as you would like them, they are very flexible and easy to work with, and then of course it is easy to print out.

Image 1 meter box in lighwave exported with collada and imported to sketchup, dimension text can be edited at any time, and also have measurement front face cam or view, or have it align along the dimension direction

Ill get back to you about illustrator...if and when I find something.

See image...

UnCommonGrafx
07-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, Sketchup is a great alternative.

prometheus
07-27-2013, 03:50 PM
I found the notes, for Lightwave to illustrator and illustrator to lighwave.
some of them I worked out myself and some of it was another guy checking it out, cant recall which.
Have to revisit though, and if you guys find it strangely described or plain wrong, please let me know.
packed in pdf format.

Michael

prometheus
07-27-2013, 04:32 PM
As an extra note, you simply canīt draw a house of 20 meter by 30 meter and export that, illustrator can only create documents of a little above 5 meters,
so thatīs why it has to be scaled down and mostly used is 1:10 or 1:5 scale I think
So I prefer to rescale that directly by pulling back the decimals with absolute size, and then export with the settings noted in my pdf doc.

If you have a 50 cm object you want to export to illustrator, then you could of course use a real life 1:1 scale presuming you have your document set to a size slightly bigger than that.

Michael

Stephen0523
07-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks all for your help thus far. What I am trying to sort out is this: If I draw an item in Illy or AutoCad at at say 1"=1'-0" scale, can I create the same dwg in LW at the same scale. Better yet can A scale dwg in LW be used for production?

Stephen0523
07-27-2013, 06:09 PM
For 300 is there a trial?

prometheus
07-27-2013, 08:37 PM
For 300 is there a trial?

of what?

sublimationman
07-27-2013, 08:52 PM
of what?

Probably LWCAD. I was wondering the same.

I wonder if LWCAD would help with 3D printer object design or is it pretty much just for architecture?

prometheus
07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Probably LWCAD. I was wondering the same.

I wonder if LWCAD would help with 3D printer object design or is it pretty much just for architecture?

it doesnīt do any 3d printer specific, thatīs not what you should ask your self
you should ask your self if it can do more than standard lightwave tools for modeling design?

and it indeed help syou create stuff much easier and some stuff that might be very hard otherwise, check wtools3d.com and go through every help tool to see what it can
do, real time cut outs from specific shape derived from curve libraries that you can create yourself, like getting clip art curves from illustrator import to lightwave and convert to curves that can be used in lwcad to drill holes
or shape edges of your objects.

itīs not just for architecture, you also have trimming tools, profiler,engraver, mass rounding,fillet etc.
so you can combine a sort of cad tool with subdivision organic tools.

But keep a mind that you do not have the same exact control as you do have in real construction tools like solidworks, rhino, moi etc where you much easier can specify edge fillet radius to the microns, and more exact
curve tension and blending between surfaces etc.

Depends on what you aim for in printer design I would say.
I do not know the pricing of it now, you have to check that on the site.

Michael

Waves of light
07-28-2013, 02:17 AM
I found the notes, for Lightwave to illustrator and illustrator to lighwave.
some of them I worked out myself and some of it was another guy checking it out, cant recall which.
Have to revisit though, and if you guys find it strangely described or plain wrong, please let me know.
packed in pdf format.

Michael

Thanks Michael.

allabulle
07-28-2013, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the pdf, prometheus!