PDA

View Full Version : Linux Layout and Modeler

diablo-d3
11-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Is there, or will there be, a Linux version of Layout and Modeler? And if there isn't, why is Newtek letting Alias|Wavefront get ahead of them with Maya? (Which I've heard from several people that Maya for Linux is selling quite decently.)

WizCraker
11-12-2003, 04:15 AM
Doubt there would be any version for Linux in the future. Alias is not getting in front of any one with the version of Linux, if you look at history SideFX's Houdini was the first major release onto Linux the Maya. A speculative reason why Newtek is probably not focusing development on Linux except for LWSN is that the Majority of Users World Wide are using Windows or Mac based systems.

diablo-d3
11-12-2003, 11:56 AM
That really sucks. I use Lightwave with wine cvs, and it runs quite well, and it tends to run faster/smoother in Linux, but it'd still be better to have a native binary.
If they need someone to help port it, like someone who understands the linux method of coding and packaging binaries
(which is somewhat different than win32. Case in point, Maya's packaging sucks. Its a bunch of RPMs that wernt statically linked, and can only run on one specific version of Redhat.)

Joebob
11-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Wouldn't it also be easier for Alias to port Maya to Linux as they have been making IRIX versions for some time now?

WizCraker
11-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Newtek has made Irix versions of Lightwave in the past. I'm guessing they stopped when SGI lost ground in providing low end solutions in the graphics industry. SGI is more of a company in High End enterprise systems.

diablo-d3
11-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Well, I dunno, maybe Newtek should hire some outside coders. I heard lightwave was already setup to be portable in the codebase because of the multiple platforms, so it can't be _that_ hard to port to Linux.

Hey Newtek, throw money at me, and I'll port it! :D :D :D

Beamtracer
11-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Are many movie companies using Windows? I thought they preferred UNIX flavored machines. Mainly Linux, and a growing number of Mac G5s. For a start, it's easier to port the software to another UNIX machine.

diablo-d3
11-14-2003, 12:33 AM
Most are using Linux or new Macs; mainly, the ones that cant afford macs use Linux machines with a small handful of workstations running Windows to use the modeler software (may it be Lightwave, Maya, or 3DSMax.)