PDA

View Full Version : LightWave and Wide Gamut monitors

Sanchon
07-25-2013, 11:14 AM
LightWave has color profiles settings but it is still non color managed aplication. The problem is while working on Wide Gamut color monitors where all images are a little oversaturated. Color Managed aplications like Photoshop, FireFox or standard image viewer from Windows 8 do it right. LightWave thinks that the monitor is standard sRGB but it should do internal conversion to Adobe 1998 color profile that fits to Wide Gamut color space montiors.

Please see image above, where LightWave viewer shows oversaturated colors in comparision to image viewer from Windows 8, Photoshop, FireFox browser on any other modern color managed aplication. Of course I have right Color Space settings enabled in preferences.

MarcusM
07-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Can you check if in IrfanView and XnView image looks the same like in windows browser?

Sanchon
07-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Screen from InfranView compared to LightWave :

gerardstrada
07-25-2013, 08:53 PM
You could try by loading your ICC profile monitor as display color space. This has been probably fixed in 11.6 but results won't be really correct in 11.5.

For getting a correct preview you might want to try SG_CCTools (http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/CCTools/).

Gerardo

Sanchon
07-26-2013, 05:41 AM
My monitor has profile generated by Spyder4 calibrator that I tried loading to LW Image Viever or image conversion options but I don't see any noticeable changes. This profile works well with Photoshop and Windows.

The only way that I found is to convert all sRGB images to Adobe RGB color space in Photoshop - LightWave display them perfectly on WideGamut monitor. But this is a little dirty workaround. LightWave should do it internally.

SG_CCFilter works well but not perfectly and problem will be with scenes that have a lot of images. When I set Input Profile in SG_CCFilter to sRGB and output to Adobe RGB - image looks good but it is a little washed. With gamma 0.9 looks near perfectly. Maybe because SG_CCFilter is not working well with LW color space conversion ? When I set Input profile in SG_CCFilter to my own sRGB monitor profile ( that I generated by Spyder with another standard sRGB monitor ) - image looks 99% perfect ( a little to dark shadows ). Great that VPR can read SG_CCFilter conversion.

So... LW 11.6 still have problem with WideGamut monitors ?

gerardstrada
07-26-2013, 01:11 PM
If your monitor works perfectly in Photoshop and Windows, it will works perfectly with the SG_CCFilter. It's just that you need to set it up correctly. It's NOT recommendable using a device-dependent colorspace (your monitor) for input images.

This is the set up that I'd try in your case:

Let's say you want to work in sRGB (not recommendable and a waste of gamut but anyway...) then your input images would be created in sRGB space. Load these images in LightWave, go to the CS panel and set up the sRGB preset.

- For a correct sRGB preset you might want: or change the Picked Colors parameter from sRGB to 2.2 gamma (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?119485-Why-is-the-quot-Adaptive-Sampling-quot-pass-so-slow&p=1316185&viewfull=1#post1316185), or even better, switch to the SG_CCPicker (log to lin conversion 2.2) and set up Linear in the CS panel for the Picked Colors parameter.

- In Display Color Space set up also Linear - since you will replace this part with SG_CCFilter

- In Processing => Image Filter, add the SG_CCFilter and go from Linear_sRGB (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?127209-CYMK-Ouch&p=1243952&viewfull=1#post1243952) to my_monitor_colorspace.

That's all.

Consider also when the specs talk about "sRGB monitor" or "aRGB monitor", it doesn't mean that these monitors "are" sRGB or aRGB exactly, it means that their gamuts are in those ranges, but it's not necessarily (and they rarely match) exactly sRGB/aRGB space.

This is why when you convert your input images from sRGB to aRGB in Photoshop, you see a more near approximation within LW, but not quite the same, because your monitor is not aRGB colorspace, it's in that range, which is different.

You might try also loading the monitor profile in the CS panel, but results won't be quite correct (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133785-Does-anybody-use-quot-Display-Color-Space-quot-LUT-with-success&highlight=2.2+Gamma+Lut) as with SG_CCFilter.

Gerardo

Sanchon
07-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Thank you for deeply explanation. Those links are very informative too.

gerardstrada
08-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Glad it helps. Just in case, VPR doesn't recognize post-filters. But you can use a card in front of the camera with this setup to color-correct to any colorspace you need with SG_CCNode and have interactive preview in VPR:

0% diffuse / 100% luminosity
connect a Refractions node to the SG_CCNode (from linear sRGB to your monitor space) and from there to the Color channel (you could use Diffuse Shading too, but color channel is a bit faster). Finally, enable RayTrace Refraction.

This is an old trick that used to work with FPrime and work with VPR now. Of course RayTrace Refractions may slow down VPR depending on your scene characteristics. Consider also that this hack obstructs buffer calculations, but it's not for final rendering, just preview purposes.

Gerardo