PDA

View Full Version : CS won't display opengl area on my laptop.

GraphXs
07-24-2013, 08:23 PM
I have an HP i7 laptop with an intel display graphics chip. CS will only show the assets if I start resizing the window and when I stop resizing it will disappear. I guess it won't work on laptop with intel cards??? Can someone from LW3D verify? I thought Rob had mention at Siggraph that it worked on laptops with intel graphics cards. Any idea if I can get this to work? Lightwave Opengl works fine, why not CS?

Thanks

hrgiger
07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
The minimum requirements also list 64 bit OS with at least 4GB of RAM. It also lists Video card requirements as either a minimum of NVIDIA GeForce 8400 series or ATI X1600 with a min screen resolution of 1024 X768. I'm not sure how that translates to your laptop display hardware as far as minimum requirements go.

Jarno
07-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Sounds like one of those quirky differences in OpenGL behaviour between NVidia, ATI, and Intel.
You say it displays correctly when resizing the window, so it seems to support all the rendering. It's just not showing the results at the right time. That should be fixable if you report it through fogbugz.

---JvdL---

GraphXs
07-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Thx ill fogbugz it.

Skonk
07-25-2013, 02:48 AM
The Intel graphics chips are useless for 3D, that's the problem.

And as stated above, the Intel graphics chips don't meet the minimum requirements.

geo_n
07-25-2013, 02:54 AM
The Intel graphics chips are useless for 3D, that's the problem.

And as stated above, the Intel graphics chips don't meet the minimum requirements.

The new intel 4000hd is not bad. As good as an nvidia 300m for laptops. Lw works on both of these gfx. 3Dcoat runs well. I've given up using cuda versions of 3dcoat.
CS is pretty new so...

Greenlaw
07-25-2013, 03:05 AM
I ran ChronoSculpt on my workstation early this morning and naturally it works great there with Nvidia, but I haven't tried it yet on my tablet PC, which has both Intel and ATI graphics. Will do so tomorrow in both modes and report how it goes.

G.

GraphXs
07-25-2013, 03:31 AM
Great thx greenlaw, I hope it works or I'm off to buy a new laptop. I do have a 8core "xp" desktop that I should upgrade to win7, but I so love the freedom using LW the laptop gives me. I can work on Lightwave anywhere! I do hope they make it work for intel cards only so I don't have to dish out 2+K for a new laptop. Anyone one have any suggestions for a solid good laptop??? I'm currently on a HP Pavilion i7 17.3inch screen. It's only a year old and from bestbuy, so I know I was getting a mid-range cheap laptop. But for LW and Unity, Adobe, 3D coat, it has been great to work on the go!!!

Greenlaw
07-25-2013, 03:44 AM
Just now tried it on my tablet PC: ChronoSculpt runs great under ATI graphics mode but it totally crashes on launch under Intel graphics mode.

This is an old HP tm2 tablet with hacked graphics drivers, and running Windows 7 Pro (x64).

G.

Greenlaw
07-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Yes, I know what you mean. I have a nice desktop I use for 'heavy lifting' but I like to do a lot of my work on the little tablet PC because it's so convenient. In fact, much of 'Happy Box' was set up on the tablet, and nearly all my comics are drawn on the tablet. I can't say the same for 'Brudders 2' though--this project definitely exceeds what my tablet can handle--at times, 'Brudders 2' even stresses my desktop's limits. :)

G.

wesleycorgi
07-25-2013, 03:54 AM
Yes, I know what you mean. I have a nice desktop I use for 'heavy lifting' but I do a lot of my work on the little tablet PC because it's so convenient. In fact, much of 'Happy Box' was setup on the tablet, and nearly all my comics are drawn on the tablet. I can't say the same for 'Brudders 2' though--this project definitely exceeds what my tablet can handle--at times, 'Brudders 2' even stresses my desktop's limits. :)

G.

BTW, Brudders 2 looks awesome amongst the other great pieces in the LW Siggraph reel.

khan973
07-25-2013, 04:23 AM
@Greenlaw, yes, Brudders 2 looks nice and the best part of the reel is when the little girl shakes her head on the rhythm!

djwaterman
07-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Umm, I'm having similar problems on my Laptop.

Operating System
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.20GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0C05GV (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor ([email protected])
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Dell)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series (Dell)
Hard Drives
699GB WDC WD7500BPKT- (RAID)
8.00GB SAMSUNG SSD PM8 (RAID)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT80N

I switched the Catalyst Control Center switchable graphics to High performance and that solved the blank view port problem.

However, even though I can load objects into CS, when I load the Mdd files in the program crashes.

I'd like to submit a Fogbuz or what ever it's called, how do I do that?

GraphXs
07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/