PDA

View Full Version : 11.6 license checked between machines in one network

vncnt
07-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Just installed LW11.6 on two machines using the USB dongle and LWK license file.

Then suddenly I noticed that LW didn't recognize the license anymore.

The only way to avoid this was:
- power down the network switch
or
- start one application on one pc (1x Modeler and 1x Layout does not work anymore)

Now this isn't unreasonable because I've got only one license here at work but I wished someone told me this is not an error, just policy.

I've spent hours thinking I did something wrong during installation and even updated the Safenet drivers and rebooted many many times because the license seemed to disappear sometimes.

Phil
07-24-2013, 08:48 AM
This has always been policy. Doing otherwise has always been a technical breach of license, so one could argue that it is in fact documented - right in the license you notionally agreed to on installation.

vncnt
07-24-2013, 09:00 AM
If someone told me that the technical breach had been fixed, it would have prevented me spending time on this issue - thinking something went wrong during installation. Leaving me with an unstable animation pipeline.

Skonk
07-24-2013, 09:49 AM
It's done this since they removed the need for a dongle.

obviously with the dongle system you physically needed the dongle in so there was no need to do any fancy network checks but now it's just a plain old license file, they need to make sure people don't just copy the file to loads of machines.

On a side note, if you run lots of licenses and need to do drive cloning to setup the machines like I do at the college where I work, you can make a single license file with all your license codes in and include this in the disc image, and it will pick a license from the file that isn't in use when it's loaded up on each machine; saves a lot of messing out :)

vncnt
07-24-2013, 03:42 PM
It's done this since they removed the need for a dongle.

obviously with the dongle system you physically needed the dongle in so there was no need to do any fancy network checks but now it's just a plain old license file, they need to make sure people don't just copy the file to loads of machines.

On a side note, if you run lots of licenses and need to do drive cloning to setup the machines like I do at the college where I work, you can make a single license file with all your license codes in and include this in the disc image, and it will pick a license from the file that isn't in use when it's loaded up on each machine; saves a lot of messing out :)

I didnīt have this problem in 11.5 and even 11.5.1. Maybe that was by accident because I tend to focus on one animation process at the same time and there is no need for me to run LW on two machines.

In this case both pcīs were running Layout at the same time (or at least overlapping) for installation purposes only.

Any way, it could have saved me research time if it was mentioned somewhere.