PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on animating smoke following a path

Pamela G. Juust
07-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Hey guys!

I need to animate realistic smoke that comes out of 2 sources, joins and forms a specific shape in the air. It will be composited on live footage, so the smoke itself and the motion need to look pretty realistic.

What do you think would be the best way to achieve this sort of effect? I guess it could be done with particles and hypervoxels, but i have doubts about getting realistic results using HV-s.
Another way I'm thinking about would be mapping real smoke footage on geometry, so that i could more easily shape it. I remember seeing this technique used in 300 for the temple scene. It sounds like a hell of a lot of work though.

Any help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

nickdigital
07-24-2013, 06:34 AM
You could try animating geometry along a bone chain or with the new Spline Control tool in 11.6. Then map. Texture or procedural to the geometry. I think that'll get you close to the 300 look.

You could try the same technique with TFD. You could also emit particles along a wind path collision.

What shape does it need to make?

Pamela G. Juust
07-24-2013, 08:13 AM
It needs to form a rough number 2.
I'm trying to do it in AE with particular, but im not sure i like the look of it.