PDA

View Full Version : Opt In email notifications

brianone20
07-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Please create a option to get emails when software updates have been released for products that are registered to owners. I would love to get updates instead of looking for updates all the time. It seems odd that this isn't in place. I run across tricasters that are 2,3,4 revisions out of date sometimes and I tell people and they're shocked they had no idea. Lot's of folks running buggy versions of products out there! Let's help clean them up and get up to date!!

adebats
07-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Brian - this has been asked so many times in the past - As well as update names that are meaningful (latestupdate.exe was 5c and 5d) I think. oh and proper release notes that aren't just part of the installation but actually readable in advance of the install.

Even just having a forum topic which always contains news about updates and only gets updated when newtek release an update (only newtek QA can post entries) that we can subscribe to would work

Wink
07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I would like to express my agreement with the two posts above. As a NewTek reseller, I've also run across numerous customers with outdated software and confusion over what is the latest version. Titling the updates as "Latestupdate" doesn't tell you if your system is actually running that version or needs to be brought up to date. Yes, you can figure it out through a bit of digging, but I think the point of these posts is that it could be designed to be MUCH more user friendly.

Tim H.
07-24-2013, 03:49 PM
I concur with the above!

The name / filename of updates should be super-easy.

Some text about what the update changes/fixes/improves should be pretty easy, too.

E-mailing update notifications should be relatively straight-forward, but would take some effort.

I'll be at the San Antonio HQ in a couple weeks. I'll make a note to mention this to some of the big shots. ;)

Sincerely,

Tim Hedegaard
Virtualsets.com, Inc.
NewTek Authorized Reseller
NewTek Developer Partner - Customized LiveSets for HD-series TriCasters

www.virtualsets.com
[email protected]

(323) 512-1542 voice

digiview
07-25-2013, 03:06 AM
I also agree and displaying the build number of the Latest download would also help.

SBowie
07-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Just in case it might have been overlooked, not that the new Support>Updates and Downloads page (http://www.newtek.com/support/documentation.html) now provides direct access to both current default and 'latest' versions for most if not all systems, in addition to codecs and other utilities without fuss (i.e., without logging in) AND also offers more extensive notes than previously provided in many cases.

digiview
07-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi Steve why is it that the traditional download site has XD855 Ver 6c available and it's not listed on the new Downloads page?

SBowie
07-25-2013, 08:20 AM
The two areas are maintained differently internally. The older Reg site workflow requires interaction between QA and MIS, while the public Downloads page is directly managed by QA and CS. As a general rule, I'd expect the latter to be refreshed more quickly going forward, as it's much more accessible system from both sides - but this would seem to be an exception.

brianone20
08-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Just got an email from Blackmagic Designs this morning, letting me know that there is a new software update release for my ATEM switcher and hyperdeck SSD recorder. Geniuses? Nah, just standard operating procedure. :)

csandy
08-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Great idea. I support it as well. BTW, the new download page looks like it will be great will fully operational and up-to-date.